Post-gamescom catch up: SUNDAY

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
It’s a wrap! After four intense and fantastic days of livestreaming, gamescom has come to an end. We had an awesome time, and we hope you are just as excited for Alpha 3 as we are.

Create, manage, share: welcome to Alpha 3 of Planet Coaster! Today we discussed the incredible journey of Planet Coaster so far, along with its complex improvements, major achievements in its development, and the game’s unique and quirky vibe.

All-New Rides and Coasters

We have an array of new roller coasters, flat rides, and facilities; any thrillseeker would love the Barghest or Loony Turns! Should they get sick, have them drop by a First Aid office to patch them up, before passing a conveniently placed ATM where they’ll pin out extra cash to spend in other new attractions. There are four new rides: The Cube (tumbling terror of geometry), Teacups (fairground staple), Wild Blue (flip and tumble in a glorious air show), and Sundial (giant pendulum to make your stomach drop). All rides, coasters, and separate building pieces can be painted to your preferred colour scheme and have a set of unique, custom loading rules.

GC2016_Day4(3).jpg

Watch Your Guests’ Reactions

Guests have needs such as hunger, thirst, and energy, and will respond to the environment around them; when walking in a crowd, your visitors will walk around obstacles, react to mascots or special effects, and navigate your park in accordance to both their individual and group needs – an amazing technical achievement in the game! Watch as your parks become crowded with an increasing amount of excited visitors and test your own limits by dealing with the numbers correctly. Keeping them happy and their environment spotless will be beneficial to your income, so make sure to watch the park rating, scenery scoring, and staff happiness.

GC2016_Day4.jpg

Motivate Your Staff

Hire and fire staff to manage your park for you, such as vendors and janitors, and add mascots for some extra entertainment – Princess Amelie (Fairytale theme), Cosmic Cow (milkshake brand), Chief Beef (burger brand), Pirate King (themed), King Coaster (Planet Coaster brand), and Gulpee Rex (drink brand) are all available to take your park to new heights. But beware, because aside from your guests, your staff also has needs; keep them motivated by paying them fair wage and allow them time off, or they will project their demotivated or stressed feelings on their surroundings...

Customise Your Entire Park

Choose your park type before you start playing: go for some glorious green plains, or pick a barren desert wasteland to build on. Make it your own by adding mountains, forestation, themed scenery (Pirate, Fairytale, or Planet Coasters own modern structures), water (either calm, rough, or swamp), rock formations (pre-made or design them yourself), and buildings. These buildings can be customised in colour, and terrain occlusion now affects lighting, meaning you will have lighting anywhere regardless of the time of day.

GC2016_Day4(2).jpg

Full Steam and Workshop Integration

Everything you create in-game can be saved as a blueprint and uploaded to the Steam Workshop. In there, you can share your creations with the world, download content from other users, and subscribe to and connect with players online. You are the creator in a (nearly) limitless and creative world full of fun, excitement, and celebration.
For the final community streams we were joined by Rudi and Silvarret, who did a great job displaying their Planet Coaster skills on the stage.

You can rewatch all of the livestreams on our official YouTube channel; the videos are processing live, and will become available as soon as this is finished. We won't be able to update this on the forum, so please keep your eye on our YouTube page here.

We hope you’ve enjoyed all the news and exciting content we’ve shown you these past couple of days. You still have a few days to pre-order the game and with that, access to Alpha 3 – please visit the store before August 25 to do so. Your feedback during this phase will be invaluable to us, as the entire team at Frontier aims to create the best coaster park simulation game for you, our players. Your thoughts, comments, and constructive criticism will be used to develop Planet Coaster further during Alpha 3, leading up to Beta and its subsequent release. We are very thrilled to move into this next stage of development with you all, and thanks again for all your continued support.

Have a good night,
The Planet Coaster Team.[heart]

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Just a little side note:

Any of your questions that weren't answered during today's Q&A session have been answered and I will type up a summary and post them here on the forum [big grin] (but AFTER I come back from gamescom...!)

" Everything and anything can be customised in colour"

Including Rocks, trees, flowers, benches, bins, path light poles, signs, path edges....?????

Last edited:
I am very interested about the new shops and facilities. Can you please tell us how many or what kind of new shops/facilities there are?

Yes I asked about mascots because I thought Amelie would work lovely with other colors. For example another hair color and/or dress colors.

Trees, rocks etc?

If yes to EVERYTHING then we can create dark park, pastel park etc... would be fun![heart]
But realistic though I do not think so, I think they meant like the modular building pieces.

Edit: with that said, sorry...

I want to say I look so much forward to play Alpha 3 (and further releases). I am excited about ability to recolor the modular pieces, I got inspired when I finally got time to watch portions of the community stream today and saw that Frontier has heard my plea about more than 1 color recolorability per object. LOVE!

Last edited:
Yes I asked about mascots because I thought Amelie would work lovely with other colors. For example another hair color and/or dress colors.

Trees, rocks etc?

If yes to EVERYTHING then we can create dark park, pastel park etc... would be fun![heart]
But realistic though I do not think so, I think they meant like the modular building pieces.

Trees could have varying greens. What about fall trees? This is added realism.

'Everything' and 'anything' have definitions. Specific definitions. "Everything" does not mean "some things".

It would even be silly to say something like "Everything that is recolourable, is recolourable", or even "Recolour everything* (*except some things)".

We already know that "Everything and Anything can be customised in colour" is untrue. It's misleading, false advertising.

Last edited:
I was thinking trees and flowers would be great if we could recolour them. For fantasy we could make purple and red trees, for spooky could make black and grey trees. I do love we can now recolour the buildings

i think they are brands. And should stay like a brand does. Mickey looks always the same, Mario looks always the same. Bart Simpson looks always the.

"your visitors will walk around obstacles".... Great amazing unexpected feature. I saw the video about how the guests find their way when a path has trash bins and how they even decide which path has will be faster (less obstacles) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTkehnqGKg). Applause for the coding guys!

Can i assume that obstacles also include wall pieces and such? Meaning that if we place a building a little bit on a path they would walk around it instead of walking through the wall?

I'm not a coder, but i do believe this is a big step closer to plaza's when watching that video around the 0:23 mark, because they can find their way now on all those connected paths.

Last edited:
But there are still those little holes.

Those beautiful amazing holes [wacky]
I remember they were saying that the path finding in combination with the amount of paths in a park was a big issue when it comes to plazas. Now that they solved the guest path finding and have better guest flow it looks like a step closer. Many connected paths were an issue (probably related to performance) and in this video they made also a lot of paths.

i think they are brands. And should stay like a brand does. Mickey looks always the same, Mario looks always the same. Bart Simpson looks always the.

I get what you mean it actually struck me. But if taking Mickey as example there's many versions of Mickey with hundreds of different fashions, colors. So we can have Amelie with same hair and face but different dresses (colors). Or why not give Amelie sisters. ;) Annelie and Alinde or something like that ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom