Discussion Prevent "all or nothing" joystick usage.

I apologise if this has been covered over and over, but I'm having trouble getting a clear answer.

How do I prevent an "all or nothing" joystick action in regards to performing turns? My Thrustmaster, I'm sure it could once gently and smoothly turn at very slow rates if I applied weak pressure to the stick during combat and fuel scooping around stars, but I moved to a new house, reinstalled my gear and now I have a situation where there's a horrible deadzone before ships begin to turn at a full/maxed fixed rate.

I've checked in the settings and I can't seem to see anything other than deadzone settings for a mouse.

My calibration tool out of game confirms gentle/slight pressures are good, but once in game, no subtly allowed.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried joystick curves?

I use it with my x52 pro. Works a treat.
After a good hour of trying to use Joystick Curves, I'm defeated by it despite it's apparent simplicity. No idea what any of the functions do or mean and nothing seems to work once in ED.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If the stick movements are bound to "buttons" (i.e. fully on / fully off) rather than axes it would give the outcome described in the OP.

If the stick movements are bound to "buttons" (i.e. fully on / fully off) rather than axes it would give the outcome described in the OP.
Yup, I understand and appreciate that, but they're not. Anyway I'm going to buy a new joystick soon so I'll eventually report back with my findings.

That.
Check what you bound your Joystick axes to:
O3UCONJ.png

This is my setting (or at least once was...): the games' axes are bound to the joystick axes. If you instead bind e.g. yaw left/yaw right, you'll get the digital response you described.

I've checked in the settings and I can't seem to see anything other than deadzone settings for a mouse.

My calibration tool out of game confirms gentle/slight pressures are good, but once in game, no subtly allowed
Hi,

This would tend to indicate you may have a USB issue.
Your joystick should be reported in 'joy.cpl', if not, resolve this first!.

I do not suppose you recently updated Windows 10? It has an issue which sounds a lot like this...I reverted to 1909 and everything came good.

You might also like to try...
  1. using different USB ports
  2. uninstall/reinstall the Thrustmaster drivers
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Clicker

Hi,

This would tend to indicate you may have a USB issue.
Your joystick should be reported in 'joy.cpl', if not, resolve this first!.

I do not suppose you recently updated Windows 10? It has an issue which sounds a lot like this...I reverted to 1909 and everything came good.

You might also like to try...
  1. using different USB ports
  2. uninstall/reinstall the Thrustmaster drivers
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Clicker
Thank you very much guys!

I may be MIA for a couple of weeks running up to Christmas, but I'll reply this side of 2022 for sure. By then my new joystick should have arrived so I'll check back through all the advice, test everything and get back with my findings.

Thanks!

Hmm, ED can set axis curve??? or it is specific to thrustmaster software??? I'm using 16000m and wondering why ED don't have curve settings for Joystick....

Top Bottom