Probably a noob trader question

My T-9 is sitting in Gallimaufry station (Annwn) with a hold full of Reactive Armour. Before leaving, I checked in-game and it was listed as having a good selling price there. When I look at the Elite wiki, it's consumed by all economy types. It's not listed as a banned item in this station. Yet I can't sell it there (and eddb, as I only notice now, has no sell price for it either).

My question is: why? Rather than being listed with 0 demand, it's not listed at all to sell to the station. If it's not illegal, and not a 'special' item like Personal effects but just a regular commodity, why can't I sell it there?
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious...

Also it might have become illegal (extrapolating Felix's post), but it may still be sellable on the black market under contacts if they have one - can't promise it, nor that you'll get a profit, but worth a look.

If it's stolen or mission cargo though, the BM is the place to sell it if you can. Does it say "illegal cargo" in the bottom right of your main ship screen?

No, I just bought it from the commodities market in a station in a neighbouring system so definitely didn't fall off the back of a space truck :sneaky:

system has no active black market either, and in any case I don't have the "illegal cargo" warning near to the fuel gauge.

unsellable stuphz to be hazzed 😂

Take a hot moment to remember that having to rely on 3rd party websites to play a game that's been around for as long as elite...is pure nonsense.

If you want to trade stuff, just do extraction - refinery - industrial - extraction.

Just hoof around whatever makes a min of 10k profit per tonne ..

Then remember that you can just mine painite at the double hotspot at gcrv 1968 (or something like that) and wonder why you even bother...

Just search for double painite hotspots on the internet and you will find them.

Or just 'trade' in passengers... exactly the same gameplay loop, only you click into a slightly different menu, more money.

Or trade your t9 for a t10 and afk in a resource zone for free money

No, I just bought it from the commodities market in a station in a neighbouring system so definitely didn't fall off the back of a space truck :sneaky:

system has no active black market either, and in any case I don't have the "illegal cargo" warning near to the fuel gauge.

Zero demand is not listed IF it had non-zero before. This means station buys it usually but do not need it now...
....well at least when I sell 200 items when station wants 100 -- it is gone from list complete.
Also keep in mind - you never play alone. Markets are shared between all players.

Last edited:
My whole thing was "I never normally bother trading in weapons because crap like this always happens, but look at that sweet 5k/ton profit the game is telling me I would make, it's not a banned item so it has to work surely"

thanks for the replies, I do know how to trade and make money in general, I was just really irritated by this behaviour and was hoping there was a rational explanation for it. Serves me right for trying to be a filthy weapons dealer :sneaky:

My whole thing was "I never normally bother trading in weapons because crap like this always happens, but look at that sweet 5k/ton profit the game is telling me I would make, it's not a banned item so it has to work surely"

thanks for the replies, I do know how to trade and make money in general, I was just really irritated by this behaviour and was hoping there was a rational explanation for it. Serves me right for trying to be a filthy weapons dealer :sneaky:
Yeah you pretty much have to rely solely on 3rd party tools. It's one of my biggest beefs with this game. I tried for a long time to figure out how to trade with in game tools and it just doesn't work. You buy a commodity. It says this system imports said commodities. You go there... nothing. An hour or two later your still hauling around this load trying to find a selling place, mad, constant interdictions. This is why people are so ready to jump on money exploits.

You have my attention. Is this stuphz worf hazzing, and what do you desire in exchange?

For reference, I normally work on a balanced structure, where youz gizzez it to me, and I chargez 5 percentz commissionz for da privilegez.

Savvyz? ;)

You have my attention. Is this stuphz worf hazzing, and what do you desire in exchange?

For reference, I normally work on a balanced structure, where youz gizzez it to me, and I chargez 5 percentz commissionz for da privilegez.

Savvyz? ;)
Well, the shifty looking gent who sold it to me in Zeta Horologii told me it was worth a small fortune, but now I feel like I’m gonna have to pay you to take these stuphz offa me :(

Something's definitely amiss if you can't sell your goods. You should be able to sell any legal commodity to any market, even if it means selling at a loss because they don't really want it.

Something's definitely amiss if you can't sell your goods. You should be able to sell any legal commodity to any market, even if it means selling at a loss because they don't really want it.

Yeah I think that too. Anything to do with the state of the economy, outbreak, unrest, bust, famine? A new ruling faction that doesn't allow weapon sales maybe? You should be able to see a list of actual prohibited items by hovering over the station in the system map ..

Yeah I think that too. Anything to do with the state of the economy, outbreak, unrest, bust, famine? A new ruling faction that doesn't allow weapon sales maybe? You should be able to see a list of actual prohibited items by hovering over the station in the system map ..
The faction is in boom, and they're buying personal weapons but reactive armour isn't listed. Odd one as that's usually the most reliable profit.
All I can suggest is to find another station, perhaps one where there's a war.

Grudgingly gave in and let eddb find me the best place to sell... the rejection of my fine wares in Gallimaufry will remain a mystery 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom