Newcomer / Intro Problem with combat missions

Hello hello, I joined the game yesterday and I have a hard time while being in any combat missions. Now i had the mission to destroy 3 Sentry Skimmers, but when I got close to the structure on the surface of the planet I was banged in literally 2-3 seconds by the AA cannons and security (the difficulty of the mission was "mostly harmless" sooo...). The same situation in the mission where you need to disable the turrets of a big station/ship. Can someone explain me how to not be destroyed in 2 seconds before even doing anything? I fly with the Eagle fighter.

Thanks for help.

Welcome to the learning curve.
Yes, I also think that the Skimmers are supposed to be done from the SRV. Alternatively, dumbfire missiles are supposed to be good for that job.
The megaship turrets are a bit more involved, depending on how many you need to take out.
first, scanthe megaship, that should put the turrets on your contacts/targets tab. Then scan your turret of choice, that should put the associated generator as a subtarget on your tab.
If it's only one, then I prefer to stand off at the edge of my sensor range and launch a couple of seeker missiles (or a salvo of packhounds).

Otherwise, ramming the generator will destroy it without you becoming hostile.

Hello hello, I joined the game yesterday and I have a hard time while being in any combat missions. Now i had the mission to destroy 3 Sentry Skimmers, but when I got close to the structure on the surface of the planet I was banged in literally 2-3 seconds by the AA cannons and security (the difficulty of the mission was "mostly harmless" sooo...). The same situation in the mission where you need to disable the turrets of a big station/ship. Can someone explain me how to not be destroyed in 2 seconds before even doing anything? I fly with the Eagle fighter.

Thanks for help.

Skimmers (and stingers) are quite easy to take out - the trick is not to get too close, you can engage them from a long way off in turret view of your SRV. Defence turrets are also not too hard to destroy, again from long range. If you can use the shape of the land to partially shield you from fire then all the better.

Saying all that - I find the datapoint missions a real pain but that is because I have not bothered to learn how to do them. 👽

... also, it ocurrs to me that I should actually try one of those disable the megaship turret missions - five and a half years in and there is still a lot I have not bothered with.

Disable the turrets on mega ship by ramming - all pips to shields. They won't shoot at you.
There is a video or thread about it somewhere .

Though I don't know if your Eagle would be able to do it.

Use dumfire missiles to take out all the base defenses as you approach, then nuke the skimmers with more missiles.

Wasn’t this removed in the great skimmer mission purge the other year?
No, still possible with dumbfires with spectacular results. An AOE weapon.

Its also possible to shoot with lasers, though use them untargeted and a good aim (defaulting to fixed if gimbals) at first, as until you rile them and they turn red you can't target them. The only issue with untargeted weps and skimmers is the convergence; no point trying to put a dot on a skimmer, you have to sort-of guess where it'll land. Moving back a bit might help.

Useful practise is to find some guarding wreck sites in the blue circles. They are usually wanted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom