PSA: Mind your key combinations - or: How to disable Oculus hotkeys for switching ASW

Hello,

today I had trouble with the Oculus ASW mode getting switched around randomly, usually being disabled and forcing me into 40 fps without AWS. After literally hours of debugging I figured out it was a VERY unfortunate combination of joystick keystroke assignments and other events.

Turns out it was the combination of the keys assigned for throttle control and using Voice Attack with the HCS Voice Pack profile. I use a X52 pro with the buttons programmed to key strokes via the profiler software. When performing a series of jumps, now and then I throttle down to 25%, 50% or 75% below a star to extend my fuel scooping time. This is bound to numpad 1, 2 and 3. Now, HCS was running in explorer mode, meaning it honks the system automatically when exiting the jump by sending the keystroke for the scanner to the Elite window. I have the system scanner on secondary fire, which is bound to the left CTRL.

The result: Voice Attack is holding the left CTRL for a few seconds to honk the system while I effectively press numpad 1, 2 or 3 to adjust the throttle. I didn't know about the oculus hotkeys, which are exactly that: ctrl + numpad 1-4 to disable ASW, force 40 fps without ASW, force 40 fps with ASW and enable ASW.

So naturally I will rebind my keys... but does anyone here know if there is a way to disable these oculus hotkeys? I don't need them, and with a game as complex as ED this was VERY annoying.

Thanks!

Couldn't you get HCS VA to just re-enable AWS after you complete these maneouvres?

Last edited:
If it were a systematic thing it might be possible, but the occurrence depends on my timing and impatience ;). That's why it took me so long to find out in the first place.

I have rebound any of my "dangerous" binds and not had the problem again so far, still... I get that you might need to be switch ASW modes for debugging, but assigning an (undocumented, apart from "the internet") always-on set of hotkeys seems daft to me. But I guess there's no way to disable them. hmm.

Top Bottom