Pteranodon in Return to JP DLC. TLW, JPIII, or JW/FK variant?

With the aviary and Pteranodon officially confirmed in the return to JP DLC on December 10th, which Pteranodon variant do you think or hope we’ll be getting?

Last edited:
In my opinion, only the JPIII pteranodons will be the only variant in the DLC’s aviary, because they have a more bigger presence in the film's original trilogy than the ones in The Lost World movie.

The aviary is a little bit surprising to me, because why would they add an “aviary” with JPIII pteranodons in this DLC when an “aviary” with pterosaurs (not just pteranodon, but also dimorphodon) was also a big deal in the JW trilogy saga with the pterosaurs having their own unique JW aesthetic kind of style?

Then again, the aviary from the DLC and the pteranodons are made to match their aesthetics to the third film of the original JP trilogy saga which makes more sense when you think about it. The aviary in Jurassic World was a glass biodome kind of style.

FYI, I honestly thought aviaries would be too big to add yourself, since the ones in the films were all gigantic in size to have the “birds” fly around with enough space, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Well, we've only gotten 2 creatures listed, it's possible that we're getting a few more fliers as well with it since it would be a new model. The JP3 and JW pteranodon are close to being just different skins of the same thing, there's the TLW one and the smaller one that's used in BaBR for snatching the bird. There's also the dimorphodon

Bestinslot zooms in on the image. I think it had some white on the wings and looked more like the LW version to me. But i could be wrong. Either way this is awesome! Not to mention Compys! I just hope the compys can break out or be put in paddocks with other dinos as well and not limited like the pteranadons. Hopefully the pteranadons can escape and carry off a few guests as well before disappearing off the map. Im so excited for this dlc!!!!

It's like frontier looked at one of my previous posts and took nearly all of it and made it a reality! And i was scoffed at for asking for the JP Aviary. Who's smiling now??? ALL OF US!!!!! Lol

Bestinslot zooms in on the image. I think it had some white on the wings and looked more like the LW version to me. But i could be wrong. Either way this is awesome! Not to mention Compys! I just hope the compys can break out or be put in paddocks with other dinos as well and not limited like the pteranadons. Hopefully the pteranadons can escape and carry off a few guests as well before disappearing off the map. Im so excited for this dlc!!!!

It's like frontier looked at one of my previous posts and took nearly all of it and made it a reality! And i was scoffed at for asking for the JP Aviary. Who's smiling now??? ALL OF US!!!!! Lol
TLW ones have a more blue/purple coloration, pale undersides...

But coloration doesn't really matter that much due to the way skins work in game. And it's also possible to have a hybrid look of the JP3 and JW/FK ones, they're rather similar in appearance and with the scale, the teeth might not be visible there.

If they were treates as actual breedable creatures, they would have to neee skins variants too, wouldn't they? So, does this matter at all?

Yeah, female Pteranodons don't have a large crest, like the JW version. The JP3 Ptera and green rex kinda suggest the presence of males.
I would love to see breeding and nesting in JWE. I believe this feature can be implemented in the game, because if Frontier was able to do that in Planet Zoo, then this is entirely possible in JWE. I loved the T.rex green male skin and the new Stegosaurus model! As you said, the large crest in Pteranodon suggests the presence of male dinosaurs and pterosaurs in the game. Think with me ... imagine how amazing it would be to create a self-sustaining ecosystem with male and female dinosaurs!!!! It would be very nice and beautiful! We don't have much information about DLC, but it looks like we will have new map areas to build on Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna, because of the 1993 history of DLC. What do you think friend? :)

I would love to see breeding and nesting in JWE. I believe this feature can be implemented in the game, because if Frontier was able to do that in Planet Zoo, then this is entirely possible in JWE. I loved the T.rex green male skin and the new Stegosaurus model! As you said, the large crest in Pteranodon suggests the presence of male dinosaurs and pterosaurs in the game. Think with me ... imagine how amazing it would be to create a self-sustaining ecosystem with male and female dinosaurs!!!! It would be very nice and beautiful! We don't have much information about DLC, but it looks like we will have new map areas to build on Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna, because of the 1993 history of DLC. What do you think friend? :)

Breeding implementing in such a way would still be a very hard work, I think. And, while it would be nice, dinosaur AI needs to be addressed in much depth before being able to sustain those ecosystems, otherwise you'll still have an alleged pack of raptors extermining your herbs due to the inexistence of pack hunting, even if they fix general carni AI.

But if pterosaurs are nicely implemented, my faith in both Frontier and JWE will rise skyhigh and wouldn't think it pass them that breeding could eventually come.

Nowadays is far from a priority to me, though.

Breeding implementing in such a way would still be a very hard work, I think. And, while it would be nice, dinosaur AI needs to be addressed in much depth before being able to sustain those ecosystems, otherwise you'll still have an alleged pack of raptors extermining your herbs due to the inexistence of pack hunting, even if they fix general carni AI.

But if pterosaurs are nicely implemented, my faith in both Frontier and JWE will rise skyhigh and wouldn't think it pass them that breeding could eventually come.

Nowadays is far from a priority to me, though.
Breeding is a priority for me because as much as the animals in the park are genetically modified creatures, they are still animals ... they need to breed. Over and over we have seen baby dinosaurs and male dinosaurs in the JP and JW franchise movies. In Battle At Big Rock we saw a couple of Nasutoceratops with a baby. Although Breeding and nesting is present in JW, this element is more related to JP. I agree with you, breeding would not be easy to implement, but I tell you it is not impossible, since Frontier itself brought this feature into Planet Zoo. I am not saying that the two games are the same, but I just say that if it company made an breeding feature for the game, it can do in another, in the case ... JWE. And now that's a priority for me because we have confirmed new JWE builds including Aviary, so features like breeding can be focused and implemented.

I think all 3 would return, or similar options at the least. If the Pteranodon is similar to dinosaurs in terms of fossil hunting and genetic modification, then I could see the creature have differently colored skin options based on her appearance in the movies. Some dinosaurs now have updated models as an alternative in the new DLC, so it would be possible to see different Pteranodon options too.

Know this is off topic... But i just read a news story about the dlc that said.

"The dinosaurs will be able to wreak havoc inside the Visitor Center and the Aviary."

So we may get to go inside the Visitor Center and it seems like our dinosaurs might be able to invade that building to go after guests! 😀

I hope for the Lost Worlds Pteranodon, it is the most accurate and best looking version for me. The Jurassic World one doesn't even look like a Pteranodon for me.
Besides the hyper aggressiveness and being able to pick up humans, the Jurassic World version is actually probably the most accurate out of all of them.
  • The Lost World Pteranodon design seems to be a bit of a mix between Pteranodon and Geosternbergia. So not exactly accurate but a very nice looking design.
  • The JP3 version has teeth. So just no. Otherwise the general shape is fairly accurate.
  • The Jurassic World version has no crest, which is completely accurate for female Pteranodons. Only males have the crest. The head is a bit too wide though.
All different versions have much too pointy wings though. Pterosaur wings had more rounded edges.

That being said, I do hope to see the Lost World version in the game as it's just the prettiest one.

Top Bottom