Ship Builds & Load Outs Ships [Python] Should I put weapons on a specialized mining ship?

I recently completed my Kraith MKII multirole combat oriented build. There's still some high end engineering to do, but I'm not in the mood to farm materials. So I decided to convert my old Python to a mining/small trader ship. I'm working on a couple of outfits:

1. all around miner fitted with every mining toy the market has to offer
2. armed deep core miner

everything leads back to a fundamental choice: weapons/no weapons
I'm already running the first build. It's extremely productive as I can range from mining mission running to low temp diamonds deep core mining. I have all the tools of the job, plus I can do some mid range exploration and trading.
The second case brings me to a doubt: why should I put weapons on a low shield, slow moving ship? I'm not shure if is worth the risk to engage the occasional NPC pirates than pop in the asteroid rings when I first enter the instance or the ones that interdict me on the road back to the station.
I use to mine Pristine reserves few jumps out of the bubble, so I often have to make like 10 jumps in low sec systems to reach the core systems and sell the minerals.

Is a 5A shield generator enough to protect the Python against NPC's? I never tried it and I'm not shure if it's safe. Plus I don't trust my ships maneuverability By now I just run away.
I'm also considering to heavy engineer the ship's defences and to install some guardian modules.

My mining ships don't have weapons, and sometimes no shields. It depends if you know how to avoid the pirates - if you do, then you don't need weapons / shields. If you don't - then you probably need them :)

What he said.

I have two mining ships and don't have weapons on either of them. One is a Python that I core mine in and the other is a T9 outfitted for bulk mining. Honestly, couldn't manage to fit weapons on either of them without compromising my mining efficiency...that's just not going to happen.
For shields, I use a 5D and a 7D respectively, prioritizing jump range over shield strength, each does have a shield booster with Heavy duty supercapacitors engineering....but that's more for the sake of "if I hit an asteroid" then any worries about being shot at.

So far, haven't had an issue evading pirates in either ship...no idea how well the shields would hold if they ever got shots in. I use A level thrusters with dirty/drag drive engineering though, for that maneuverability mentioned in OP.

Unless you truly love the peaceful zenlike stroll through asteroid belts that is mining, I'd go with a deep core rig. Does anyone really need more than 96t of void opals, LTDs, or any of the other new rare and valuable minerals from one mining trip? Don't get me wrong, I do like mining, but an hour or two at a time is usually enough for me.

As for your questions...
Yes, a 5A is good enough. As for weapons... I have weapons on both my armed trade Python and my deep core mining Krait. Depends on how much you like fighting.

Here's the DeepCore Krait I took on DW2 to help build Explorers Anchorage: https://s.orbis.zone/31m7

Given the slot similarity to the Python, you could do something similar, but with an extra size 6 slot and a size 5 free without the SLF (I found the SLF was enough defense vs pirates within belts, and the APAs were overkill). I went with a Krait for mining rather than my old armed trade Python for the speed (zipping through belts looking for cores) and the SLF for defense. It's now parked (forever?) at Beagle Point - refitted at EA with AMFUs, SRV, etc. instead of mining gear.

Unless you truly love the peaceful zenlike stroll through asteroid belts that is mining, I'd go with a deep core rig. Does anyone really need more than 96t of void opals, LTDs, or any of the other new rare and valuable minerals from one mining trip? Don't get me wrong, I do like mining, but an hour or two at a time is usually enough for me.

As for your questions...
Yes, a 5A is good enough. As for weapons... I have weapons on both my armed trade Python and my deep core mining Krait. Depends on how much you like fighting.

Here's the DeepCore Krait I took on DW2 to help build Explorers Anchorage: https://s.orbis.zone/31m7

Given the slot similarity to the Python, you could do something similar, but with an extra size 6 slot and a size 5 free without the SLF (I found the SLF was enough defense vs pirates within belts, and the APAs were overkill). I went with a Krait for mining rather than my old armed trade Python for the speed (zipping through belts looking for cores) and the SLF for defense. It's now parked (forever?) at Beagle Point - refitted at EA with AMFUs, SRV, etc. instead of mining gear.

Nice build. I should consider the Kraith for better agility when moving around the asteroids. Also the double PA's+fighter are very intriguing and leaves 3 slots free for the deep core mining stuff. I will save your build for future reference.

I forgot to link the "armed" build I'm working on for the Pyth. https://s.orbis.zone/31mv

My mining ships don't have weapons, and sometimes no shields. It depends if you know how to avoid the pirates - if you do, then you don't need weapons / shields. If you don't - then you probably need them :)

Yup, I know a trick or two to avoid combat. The AI is quite predictable and easy to evade unless I'm very very tired and mess with something. Weaponless is how I use to mine. The 5A shield basically keeps the Python's big butt safe from 'roids when I'm working in tight spaces.

I recently completed my Kraith MKII multirole combat oriented build. There's still some high end engineering to do, but I'm not in the mood to farm materials. So I decided to convert my old Python to a mining/small trader ship. I'm working on a couple of outfits:

1. all around miner fitted with every mining toy the market has to offer
2. armed deep core miner

everything leads back to a fundamental choice: weapons/no weapons
I'm already running the first build. It's extremely productive as I can range from mining mission running to low temp diamonds deep core mining. I have all the tools of the job, plus I can do some mid range exploration and trading.
The second case brings me to a doubt: why should I put weapons on a low shield, slow moving ship? I'm not shure if is worth the risk to engage the occasional NPC pirates than pop in the asteroid rings when I first enter the instance or the ones that interdict me on the road back to the station.
I use to mine Pristine reserves few jumps out of the bubble, so I often have to make like 10 jumps in low sec systems to reach the core systems and sell the minerals.

Is a 5A shield generator enough to protect the Python against NPC's? I never tried it and I'm not shure if it's safe. Plus I don't trust my ships maneuverability By now I just run away.
I'm also considering to heavy engineer the ship's defences and to install some guardian modules.
My mining ship is a Python. I use it for deep core mining only. All 3 large hard points are weapons, 2 lasers and a multicannon. The 2 medium hard points are the abrasion blaster and seismic charge launcher which is all I need for deep core mining plus I can take on NPC pirates no problem. 5A Prismatic shields and military composite hull. 192T of cargo and over 400 ms boost speed. If you're only doing deep core mining theres no reason not to take weapons.

Last edited:
My mining ship is a Python. I use it for deep core mining only. All 3 large hard points are weapons, 2 lasers and a multicannon. The 2 medium hard points are the abrasion blaster and seismic charge launcher which is all I need for deep core mining plus I can take on NPC pirates no problem. 5A Prismatic shields and military composite hull. 192T of cargo and over 400 ms boost speed. If you're only doing deep core mining theres no reason not to take weapons.

Sweet. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for! Unfortunately I was never able to raise my PP rank for the prismatic shield because I'm lazy :p
But now I'm on the right way because I moved my home base 80ly from Cubeo and it only takes 2 jumps to get there and do some Aisling propaganda hauling. I will work on it.
How many cargo holds did you put on your python?

It depends on the ship I guess.
My deep core mining 'Vette has two huge gimballed g5 lightweight thermal vent beams, enough to flame-grill every NPC to crisp :LOL:
On the T10 I experimented with four laser turrets in the c3, but that was underwhelming, so I equipped two pacifiers on one side, but I hate asymetric builds.
Skipped the T10 for an unarmed T9 and just recently switched again to a 'Conda laserminer, but this one again is armed in the c3 & c4 slots.

The Krait and Python theoretically can run three c3 weapons and an abrasion/seismic combo, but they also can fit enough shields and speed to outrun any NPC.
And I tend to fill "smaller" ships under 200 tons in one run anyways, so I'm not affected by the enemy spawn and don't have to pew pew inbetween.
I like the hardpoint layout of the Krait much more then the Python if you only count the c3s, with the Krait I tend to go with three Pacifiers, Python I guess a beam and two Multis always works. So if I'd use a Python I guess I'd go unarmed.

I also tried a FDS and a Keelback as core miners, both very viable for Starters, the FDS was armed, but underwhelming, and the keelback is a deathtrap if you don't run away - so no weapons 😂

It depends on the ship I guess.
My deep core mining 'Vette has two huge gimballed g5 lightweight thermal vent beams, enough to flame-grill every NPC to crisp :LOL:
On the T10 I experimented with four laser turrets in the c3, but that was underwhelming, so I equipped two pacifiers on one side, but I hate asymetric builds.
Skipped the T10 for an unarmed T9 and just recently switched again to a 'Conda laserminer, but this one again is armed in the c3 & c4 slots.

The Krait and Python theoretically can run three c3 weapons and an abrasion/seismic combo, but they also can fit enough shields and speed to outrun any NPC.
And I tend to fill "smaller" ships under 200 tons in one run anyways, so I'm not affected by the enemy spawn and don't have to pew pew inbetween.
I like the hardpoint layout of the Krait much more then the Python if you only count the c3s, with the Krait I tend to go with three Pacifiers, Python I guess a beam and two Multis always works. So if I'd use a Python I guess I'd go unarmed.

I also tried a FDS and a Keelback as core miners, both very viable for Starters, the FDS was armed, but underwhelming, and the keelback is a deathtrap if you don't run away - so no weapons 😂

The corvette... oh well :ROFLMAO:
I'm actually ranking the Empire but the Cutter is not in my sights by now. I could experiment with a 'conda but the large pad requirement made me roll back to the Python so many times that I gave up big ships to be honest. Also I would not feel comfortable in a big big butt ship, because of the very tight working space when popping asteroids.

Sweet. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for! Unfortunately I was never able to raise my PP rank for the prismatic shield because I'm lazy :p
But now I'm on the right way because I moved my home base 80ly from Cubeo and it only takes 2 jumps to get there and do some Aisling propaganda hauling. I will work on it.
How many cargo holds did you put on your python?
3 x 6E cargo racks, a 5C fuel scoop, 5A shields, 2x 3A collector limpets, 1A prospector limpet, and a refinery. Fuel scoop lets me get out to pristine systems. I can run 1 prospector limpet at a time and 4 collector limpets, which for deep core is all I need. Dont worry about not having prismatics, 5C bi weaves should work fine.

Python has 3 large and 2 medium hardpoints.

Personally, I'd fit a couple of large weapons and then a mining laser, seizmic charge launcher and an abrasion blaster.
If you really must have all the mining toys, just fit a single weapon.

I don't like having to hang around while I get scanned by a couple of pirates when I arrive in a ring system.

+EDIT+

FWIW, this is the Python Miner I built in Colonia: https://s.orbis.zone/32iv

Last edited:
3 x 6E cargo racks, a 5C fuel scoop, 5A shields, 2x 3A collector limpets, 1A prospector limpet, and a refinery. Fuel scoop lets me get out to pristine systems. I can run 1 prospector limpet at a time and 4 collector limpets, which for deep core is all I need. Dont worry about not having prismatics, 5C bi weaves should work fine.
For Core Mining I actually prefer bi-weaves so I can simply stay close to the exploding core.
I tank the damage and the bi-weave quickly regenerates. Strangely the blast doesn't affect the limpets, took a while for me to find out.

For Core Mining I actually prefer bi-weaves so I can simply stay close to the exploding core.
I tank the damage and the bi-weave quickly regenerates. Strangely the blast doesn't affect the limpets, took a while for me to find out.

Uhuh,

It's not just the seizmic boom that drains your shield.
It's all the bouncing off rocks and nudging them around too.

Bi-weaves are handy 'cos they won't get "pecked to death" by all the little knocks they take while you're mining. (y)

It would be fun if you could by lucky shot get mining charge to attach enemy ship. With normal countdown or so :D Especially for human enemies that would be loads of fun.

Top Bottom