Newcomer / Intro Question concerning mining and pirates...

Not sure if this one has been asked (probably) before, but here goes...I haven't started mining yet, but it will probably be an upcoming event in the future. I have read where the usual process goes:

1) Get a ship, and buy all the mining stuff known to man and install in ship, duct taping some items to the hull if there is insufficient room internally.
2) Fly to the nearest Double Void Opal/Painite/Exspensiv-anium site
3) Sit and wait for the prerequisite Pirate(s) to approach, scan you, say you are worthless, fly around for a bit, then head off into FSD space.
4) Mine your happy little backside off, taking in all the expensive goodies you can carry
5) When Full(ish), head back to the station to sell your payload (understand, some places offer higher prices, but currently not important)
6) Repeat until you are Stupidly Wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.

So, my question is...Say you found a pristine Void Opal / Painite / LTD site when you were on your last expedition. It is located 2000+ LYs from the Bubble. If I load up the ship with all the fun mining stuff, and head to this Anarchy Unoccupied System with no one there but ME and want to mine, are pirates going to magically show up and sniff around. Or am I pretty much out there on my own.

I know that when I come back to the Bubble, I will get scanned and pirates will attempt to interdict me. But if I am out in the Boonies by myself, will I stay "by myself?" Or is there some line of code in ED that is like: IF Player is Mining, Then Pirates Will arrive (no matter location in the galaxy).

I don't mind waiting for the pirates to sniff around and then go their own way, just want to get a bit prepared if I need to wait.

Thanks Commanders! o7

No, NPCs only spawn up to a certain distance from inhabited space, which, last time I checked, was around 500LY.

So if you have your awesome mining spot somewhere in the middle of nowhere, you should be fine.
If there are pirates after you even there, it means there is a solitary inhabited system somewhere within 500LY.

Naturally, they're going to be after you like flies upon return so it's a good idea to "research" the markets around to edge where you will be able to sell the stuff safely, rather than hopping around like crazy trying to find the right buyer with the cargo hold full of your unobtainium of choice. :)

Yeah, 500LY out seems to be the dividing line. But it takes less time to just kill the pirates, or as you said let them scan you and leave, than to fly way out somewhere.

If you just want to be alone, I get that, though :)

I would also have to have a one-man squadron, no?
The information so far indicates they will be owned by individuals not squadrons, will be very expensive and will have to be refuelled with a unique substance some more information and remarkably little salt (so far) in the announcement over in news.

Wait what? NPCs get their own carriers and I can't?

I meant players acting as pirates - but you never know, they could have NPC-run carriers.

BTW - Yes you can have your own carrier - they are not for squadrons - they are to be purchased, fitted, fuelled and flown by individuals. (No doubt there will be a multiplayer aspect though, otherwise why have so many landing pads and support ships.)

🕹

EDIT - Of course as soon as I posted that yootoob thing, an email about the carriers arrived in my inbox - sorry.

Last edited:
Isn't anyone going to tell Chris to scroll up to the top of the page (any ED forum page) and click on the link for Paige's Fleet Carrier thread?

Hmmmm! If you want to make money, surely painite mining is much easier. I'm averaging about 225 mil per hour. It's predictable, reliable and you can do it while you watch TV. Void Opal mining is OK the first couple of times, but soon becomes as tedious as painite mining, but it's not so easy to do it while you watch TV.

The pirates are the same whichever mining you do, but they're absolutely no problem. I use the waiting time as a chance for a toilet break or make a cup of tea, check my emails, the forum or whatever. They usually hang around for about 5 or 10 minutes. You'll see them doing a complete lap of your radar at full range until they jump out and become a white dot. I used to fight them with my invincible Cutter, but it mostly takes the same time as waiting, so I don't bother anymore unless its a sole Anaconda, which I ram to death while it tries to scan me. The smaller ships always dodge the rams somehow.

Hmmmm! If you want to make money, surely painite mining is much easier. I'm averaging about 225 mil per hour. It's predictable, reliable and you can do it while you watch TV. Void Opal mining is OK the first couple of times, but soon becomes as tedious as painite mining, but it's not so easy to do it while you watch TV.

The pirates are the same whichever mining you do, but they're absolutely no problem. I use the waiting time as a chance for a toilet break or make a cup of tea, check my emails, the forum or whatever. They usually hang around for about 5 or 10 minutes. You'll see them doing a complete lap of your radar at full range until they jump out and become a white dot. I used to fight them with my invincible Cutter, but it mostly takes the same time as waiting, so I don't bother anymore unless its a sole Anaconda, which I ram to death while it tries to scan me. The smaller ships always dodge the rams somehow.
Yeah. The pirates really are problem only when you have connection issues and get logged out mid-session, therefore spawning new batch upon re-log.

After the initial void mining glut and the insane profits that could be made (and the assurance from Fdev that it wouldn't change) it appears that the surface scanner is malfunctioning. No real need as I still have double figure billions but returned to mining after a lengthy exploration, Pristine icy rings scanned, void opal hotspots located, mining initiated. Then the kicker, only core asteroids found were either low temp diamonds or Grandidierite. travelled to a different system Prisitine Icy rings scanned, Void opal hotspots located, same result. Only logical observation is the scanner is broken. Think I'll go look around the Formidine Rift again, at least it should still be there.

Yesterday I was doing the circuit at Dav's Hope...Nice way to get Mats! So After doing a dozen or so laps, it was time to start dinner. I hopped up from the computer and left the SRV (and my player) sitting there at the starting line. Figured I would be back in a while and would pick up where I left of...Run a lap, reset, repeat...So a few hours later I come back and I am sitting in my ship...

Odd, I wasn't in my ship when I left...No problem, maybe something reset while I was grilling steaks for dinner, so I panned down and tried to deploy the SRV...Hmmm, No SRV??? Then I look out the side window of the ship and I see the destroyed hulk of my SRV sitting where I left it. It looked like a dead bug that had been stripped by ants...

So, as I had no SRV, I took off and headed out to get a replacement. I think that I was sitting there and the fuel ran out of the SRV, which in turn brought on the 2 minute warning...Which was followed by the SRV (and me) grenading all over the place. So lesson learned. Don't sit in the SRV unless you are going to log out. Dock the SRV if you plan on sitting on the surface and not logging out. At least it was only 1000 credits or so to replace the SRV. I'd have hated for the SRV to blow, and the ship as well with me having to rebuy everything.

See you in the Black! o7

............ At least it was only 1000 credits or so to replace the SRV. I'd have hated for the SRV to blow, and the ship as well with me having to rebuy everything.

The good thing is that the SRV loss (yes you ran out of fuel) does not count as an insurance claim - so OCD freaks about that (like me) don't have to clear save. ;)

Top Bottom