[question] Crafting Limpet & Heat-sinks

It feels like we can craft a lot of our disposable systems,

SRV : fuel, ammo & repair
Ship : Ammo & Repair.

But we can not craft:
ship fuel (quantities I guess)
Limpets (complex objects).
heat-sinks

Replacing heat-sinks for explorers is a handy thing.
And I've seen it being suggested a number of times.

Is there any official reason why not?
It's just odd that it's not in the crafting list, when the Field Repair modules can be replenished in the Field.

I totally agree, heat-sinks just make a lot of sense. And limpets, with all the salvaged materials we gather nowadays should make it possible to cobble together a new limpet. Would give us something to do with the 500 items in our hold that have no engineering use.
And I really don't see the issue with ship fuel.

Also, why can't we use these "spare parts" ("Worn shield generators") to replace broken parts on our ship? In case a software reboot doesn't fix the ship, just grab a replacement part and try that.

The problem with heat sinks is they made silent running builds too powerful. Also, for some reason FD have allowed synthesis to be an instant thing that you can do during combat. So synthesis woudl become unlimited heat sinks, just as it is with ammo.

But all they need to do is make it so that synthesis doesn't work in combat or silent running.

Synthesis of limpets would be great.

Fair enough!

I'm a non-combative person, so I didn't think of synthesizing heat-sinks mid combat to keep the silent running builds going indefinitely.

But insta ammo is handy so how do you factor that in?

A NERF PROPOSAL
But basically we have a invisible crafting module in the ship which works instantly and requires no energy and takes up no module space as not to mess with current meta builds for the asp, etc etc.
Explorers will drop a ling if more module space is required.
(can we have magic refineries, limpet controls and docking computers???)

Building usually takes time and energy, right? So what would happen if we incorporate that.

The module requires no energy while in standby, right? So the ship build remain unaffected, and life can continue as normal.

So what happens if building requires a chunk of power to operate per build from say, the SYStem power source.
The stealth builds won't have any pips to the System and will having everything in engines and weapons, (right?).

So the SYS bar starts draining and the build will stop until more power is diverted to the SYStems.
[QUESTION] Should it generate heat in the process?

In-a-pinch Explorers will be saving their heat sinks for the drama, and rebuild heat-sinks during the calm, on a planetary body, whislt repairing other ship modules (ideally).
Miners are out in the asteroid fields.

Traders???

So that should nerf combat usage for everything and it is not a balanced solution nore help the current gameplay that has evolved.

So then we will start needing an excel spreadsheet of grades of synthesis and how long they take to make, how much power, and how much heat.
Ammo goes quickly and doesn't require too much energy..... So you can replenish ammo -mid combat as needed.
But Heat-sinks need a chunk of time and energy to do so, so it makes their crafting mid-combat a hazard.

alternatively The other nerf is,
Heat-sinks might contain a lot of absorbant chemicals and metal and in large quantites.

But then you are the mercy of the RNG gods.

Where as the power/time/heat aspect of the invisible crafting module will add dilema and choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom