Questions for Fdev regarding Powerplay 2.0

Howdy. I'm Bluee, one of the PowerPlay coordinators for Aisling Duval. I'm posting this thread to have some questions Fdev can potentially answer about PowerPlay 2.0.

One quick note is that I don't plan on covering (and would prefer it remains out of this thread) the subject of open only PowerPlay. On the deep dive live stream, FDev mentioned wanting to launch PP2 with open/solo/PG being equal, and are willing to look at feedback after people have time to play with PP2 to see how it handles.

Some of these questions are mine, some from others who I asked for contributions. I don't expect FDev to answer all these, but I feel it's best to ask in case they can, either here or on a later stream.

1. Will Powerplay 2.0 begin with a board reset?

- Over the course of PP1, powers poured hundreds, sometimes thousands of player hours expanding each system, losing some, strategically contested other powers and grew attached to various systems. If there's no reset powers could gain an early advantage by pre-gaming PP2 expansions in the remaining months that will give them an early advantage in PP2. A reset could level the playing field, though this depends on how the new system calculates scores, as not all powers had an equal start in PP1.

2. Will there be potential for cross-power/superpower cooperation, or will people pledged to different powers not be able to work together?

- e.g. Players pledged to the Federation powers Zachary Hudson and Felicia Winters may want to wing together to attack Imperial systems, but if for example, Aisling Duval were contesting Felicia Winters over a system, would Hudson players be able to help Winters players in taking/defending the system? Would Aisling Duval be able to wing up with Yuri Grom pilots to oppose Felicia Winters in a system that she's trying to take from Aisling?

3. How will BGS affect Powerplay 2.0?

- Currently powers have designated favourable, neutral and unfavorable government types affecting fortification and expansion triggers. Would this remain unchanged or be simplified? For example Zachary Hudson doesn't benefit from Federal government types and Aisling Duval doesn't benefit from Imperial types. This can create issues when groups create Imperial squadrons to support Aisling, then obtain a PMF which, if the ethos changes, harms their chosen power.

4. How will score be calculated for a system?

- In PP1 a system's maximum CC value is calculated by the population in the sphere of the control system and distance from HQ. Unfortunately, due to placement of the various HQs some powers have a distinct advantage. Some powers start near densely populated regions, while others are positioned far from the profit, making it impossible to obtain a similar level of success in PP.

5. Will the journal provide PP2 statistics?

- The UI in PP1 is inconsistently helpful, This forced powers to manually calculate statistics in order to strategize. I assume the UI will be more helpful in PP2, but I'm also curious whether the journal will have PowerPlay data (if a system is controlled, exploited, stronghold, etc)?

6. Will all work in a system be visible real time, or can efforts be hidden?

- Currently in PP1, combat powers use 'merit bombs' at the end of the cycle to mask their expansion progress, and turmoils are often caused by 'snipes', which are merit bombs handed in near the end of the cycle to catch a power by surprise. Will PP2 show all activity in real time, or can players still keep their progress hidden until the end of a cycle?

On a related note, would players continue to be advantged/disadvantaged depending on their timezone? In PP1 the critical activity occurs in the final hours of the cycle, which are sociable evening/night gameplay for players in TZs on the American continent, whereas for example UK players have to play until 8am to compete, or wake up very early, wreaking havoc on RL. Further east players cannot compete at all due to daytime RL commitments. BGS solves this by hiding all activity and summarizing the results into the daily update so might a similar thing be done for PP2?

- Some other questions I've received:

Will there be anything for powers finishing PP1 in different standings?

Are there any hard caps to how many strongholds one power can have?

Will the current powerplay modules still be available, or will there be something replacing them?

Will BGS ethoses be made more fair between all powers? e.g. Felicia Winters only has to worry about corporates, Aisling Duval has to flip spheres for expansion then again for fortification, etc.

Howdy. I'm Bluee, one of the PowerPlay coordinators for Aisling Duval. I'm posting this thread to have some questions Fdev can potentially answer about PowerPlay 2.0.

One quick note is that I don't plan on covering (and would prefer it remains out of this thread) the subject of open only PowerPlay. On the deep dive live stream, FDev mentioned wanting to launch PP2 with open/solo/PG being equal, and are willing to look at feedback after people have time to play with PP2 to see how it handles.

Some of these questions are mine, some from others who I asked for contributions. I don't expect FDev to answer all these, but I feel it's best to ask in case they can, either here or on a later stream.

1. Will Powerplay 2.0 begin with a board reset?

- Over the course of PP1, powers poured hundreds, sometimes thousands of player hours expanding each system, losing some, strategically contested other powers and grew attached to various systems. If there's no reset powers could gain an early advantage by pre-gaming PP2 expansions in the remaining months that will give them an early advantage in PP2. A reset could level the playing field, though this depends on how the new system calculates scores, as not all powers had an equal start in PP1.

2. Will there be potential for cross-power/superpower cooperation, or will people pledged to different powers not be able to work together?

- e.g. Players pledged to the Federation powers Zachary Hudson and Felicia Winters may want to wing together to attack Imperial systems, but if for example, Aisling Duval were contesting Felicia Winters over a system, would Hudson players be able to help Winters players in taking/defending the system? Would Aisling Duval be able to wing up with Yuri Grom pilots to oppose Felicia Winters in a system that she's trying to take from Aisling?

3. How will BGS affect Powerplay 2.0?

- Currently powers have designated favourable, neutral and unfavorable government types affecting fortification and expansion triggers. Would this remain unchanged or be simplified? For example Zachary Hudson doesn't benefit from Federal government types and Aisling Duval doesn't benefit from Imperial types. This can create issues when groups create Imperial squadrons to support Aisling, then obtain a PMF which, if the ethos changes, harms their chosen power.

- In PP1 a system's maximum CC value is calculated by the population in the sphere of the control system and distance from HQ. Unfortunately, due to placement of the various HQs some powers have a distinct advantage. Some powers start near densely populated regions, while others are positioned far from the profit, making it impossible to obtain a similar level of success in PP.

5. Will the journal provide PP2 statistics?

- The UI in PP1 is inconsistently helpful, This forced powers to manually calculate statistics in order to strategize. I assume the UI will be more helpful in PP2, but I'm also curious whether the journal will have PowerPlay data (if a system is controlled, exploited, stronghold, etc)?

- Currently in PP1, combat powers use 'merit bombs' at the end of the cycle to mask their expansion progress, and turmoils are often caused by 'snipes', which are merit bombs handed in near the end of the cycle to catch a power by surprise. Will PP2 show all activity in real time, or can players still keep their progress hidden until the end of a cycle?

On a related note, would players continue to be advantged/disadvantaged depending on their timezone? In PP1 the critical activity occurs in the final hours of the cycle, which are sociable evening/night gameplay for players in TZs on the American continent, whereas for example UK players have to play until 8am to compete, or wake up very early, wreaking havoc on RL. Further east players cannot compete at all due to daytime RL commitments. BGS solves this by hiding all activity and summarizing the results into the daily update so might a similar thing be done for PP2?

- Some other questions I've received:

Will the current powerplay modules still be available, or will there be something replacing them?

Will BGS ethoses be made more fair between all powers? e.g. Felicia Winters only has to worry about corporates, Aisling Duval has to flip spheres for expansion then again for fortification, etc.
From what I understand:

1: FD have a transition plan- what that means is anyones guess. What is known is that V2 is more 'stepping stone' system based rather than the bubble model we have - so the map may decompose down into control systems that perhaps become strongholds and thats when play starts.

2: It seems (IIRC from a quote in FU #4) there can be as many powers contesting a system as there are powers, suggesting co-operation is limited (given that although you kill for the same side, because you are pledged differently you will have separate in system totals.

3: From what we know BGS work improves a powers standing in a system. From unoccupied > exploited > fortified > stronghold. So far nothing has been said about gov types and alignment.

4: CC is gone and replaced with a separate score based on population and other factors (which I assume are wealth status, stations, market type etc). FD are aware of some powers living in 'rural' areas (like Archon and Pranav).

5: No information has been given about this. However V2 is not the mental maths V1 is- its a simpler system where its clear which systems are being UMed.

6: Currently its unknown if PP V2 uses the real time feedback of V1- IIRC so far only cycle length has been clarified (7 days, as now).

[Related note]: as in 6 the cycle seems to be the same. So set your alarm.

Nothing has been said. AFAIK its going to be a swap and then thats it.

Thats unknown at this point- this (my guess) is related possibly to the gov type or s.power alignment.

Nothing concrete has been said. Leading theories are either tech brokers or part of the new rewards structure. Nothing has been said about rebalancing or new ones.

As stated above, nothing has been said about gov types.

Last edited:

While I can't say 100% for certain as Fdev didn't come out and say, "Snipes are dead," they seemed to very heavily imply it, and I wouldn't expect them to say something like that anyway. These streams are designed to be understandable for the every-commander, rather than being directed towards people like us who have poured several thousand hours into the games.

Remarks like these are the ones that lead me to believe that snipes are dead. I don't know how what Luke is saying could be true while snipes are still in the game.

We know part of it is population, which will disadvantage AD if our HQ doesn't move and Fdev doesn't change population values. That said, since we know CC is gone, it seems like this is significantly less damaging to powers with lower value areas because powers don't get penalized for taking low value systems like the current system does. Systems like Chnumnar become just underwhelming rather than actually sabotage. Based on everything I've heard, any power could theoretically reach Mahon-like sizes because there's no economic considerations to keep powers from doing so.

While I can't say 100% for certain as Fdev didn't come out and say, "Snipes are dead," they seemed to very heavily imply it, and I wouldn't expect them to say something like that anyway. These streams are designed to be understandable for the every-commander, rather than being directed towards people like us who have poured several thousand hours into the games.

Remarks like these are the ones that lead me to believe that snipes are dead. I don't know how what Luke is saying could be true while snipes are still in the game.

Do stations still have the 'shipping lost' reports?

We know part of it is population, which will disadvantage AD if our HQ doesn't move and Fdev doesn't change population values. That said, since we know CC is gone, it seems like this is significantly less damaging to powers with lower value areas because powers don't get penalized for taking low value systems like the current system does. Systems like Chnumnar become just underwhelming rather than actually sabotage. Based on everything I've heard, any power could theoretically reach Mahon-like sizes because there's no economic considerations to keep powers from doing so.
The 'score' for each system is for the galactic standing IIRC.

For 1, and the first "other" question, it's worth noting that the current territory and standings in powerplay most largely reflect the deepest flaws of PP1.0.

On 2, there's also the question of whether or not the current alliances within superpowers remain as constraining as they currently are. Closer to your point, it would certainly be good if the new loyalty mechanism mitigates the ability for a player group from one power to hijack another power for use as a weapon against itself or a third power, I'm sure you'd agree.

For 1, and the first "other" question, it's worth noting that the current territory and standings in powerplay most largely reflect the deepest flaws of PP1.0.
I'm not sure it is worth noting, and I don't think I agree. I'm not going to pretend that PP1 doesn't have a great many flaws, but I'd say that the current territory is a function of the entire system as a whole, not just its "deepest flaws".

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that the current standings represent combined efforts of thousands of hours each from hundreds of people, and the question of whether any of that is going to be reflected in PP2 is a valid one.

Not going to catch me defending the standings or how they are calculated, though. That systems is almost completely ass.
there's also the question of whether or not the current alliances within superpowers remain as constraining as they currently are.
That's also something I'm very interested in. The current system is incredibly restrictive, to the point that it has shaped in-game alliances more than the ideological positions of the characters like I expected them too.
it would certainly be good if the new loyalty mechanism mitigates the ability for a player group from one power to hijack another power for use as a weapon against itself or a third power
I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to, but with the removal of CC, 5C is effectively a thing of the past, and it would seem that weaponized expansions would be too. At the very least, I don't know how one could exist. So what I think you're describing would be significantly less possible. Particularly if opposition to powers from the same superpower became easier.

Last edited:
I'm 100% what you're referring to, but with the removal of CC, 5C is effectively a thing of the past, and it would seem that weaponized expansions would be too. At the very least, I don't know how one could exist. So what I think you're describing would be significantly less possible. Particularly if opposition to powers from the same superpower became easier.
Weaponized expansions are eliminated as V2s system is essentially take and hold the most valuable systems to go up the leaderboard. Since each system has no value outside of it being held (i.e. it does not give or takeaway anything) any and all expansions are valid. The only way to really mess it up would be to convince a load of people to support a chain of tactically poor systems (rather than a more valuable one) and expand better.

Weaponized expansions are eliminated as V2s system is essentially take and hold the most valuable systems to go up the leaderboard. Since each system has no value outside of it being held (i.e. it does not give or takeaway anything) any and all expansions are valid. The only way to really mess it up would be to convince a load of people to support a chain of tactically poor systems (rather than a more valuable one) and expand better.
If there remain resource constraints on "moves per turn" then a less-good move becomes a bad move - if everyone else gets to make optimal moves.

I'm not sure it is worth noting, and I don't think I agree. I'm not going to pretend that PP1 doesn't have a great many flaws, but I'd say that the current territory is a function of the entire system as a whole, not just its "deepest flaws".
It's more than one thing for sure, but for instance, if the consequences of powers losing control of their fortifications during turmoil were not able to be so cataclysmic, then things would be an order of magnitude less bad for certain powers.
Either way, it doesn't change the fact that the current standings represent combined efforts of thousands of hours each from hundreds of people, and the question of whether any of that is going to be reflected in PP2 is a valid one.
Valid but tempered by the fact that a great portion of the hard work could have come to naught but for the above factor and other unintended ones.

If there remain resource constraints on "moves per turn" then a less-good move becomes a bad move - if everyone else gets to make optimal moves.
The only constraint is the radii of occupied systems IIRC, which grows and shrinks based on how well fortified the system is (i.e. stronghold largest, exploited smallest).

There is also no limit on moves- you essentially expand into what you can reach, only limited by effort. The limit is systems depend on other systems- a bit like Kerplunk. If the main system goes it exposes its dependents to attack.

Top Bottom