Hardware & Technical Range of Internet speeds for a good multiplayer game experience.

Hmm ...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2422341155.png

That's to London from here (UAE)

7mb down / 4Mb up (it's a 30mb line though) but 283ms :eek:

I really hope that they include a tunnelling service within the game - the Great Wall of UAE tends to throttle things but not encrypted stuff. (Lowerping, for instance, halves that for D3 servers)

Hmmm, I know what you're up to ;)

Yet another evil plot manifests itself...tell everyone you have high latency, make yourself look an easy target...yes I see it all :D

Pretty sure it was mentioned that E: D will be hosted on Amazons cloud service in the USA. This is where any P2P player updates would make the game update faster, localised traffic if playing with friends in your own town/country etc.

Yet another evil plot manifests itself...

Sadly I wish that was true.

I know WoW have done a lot (recently ?) with the connections to the servers - my friend here used to use Lowerping but no longer requires it. I hope FD take into account people from around the world as I suspect our AU friends may also be in the same boat.

I think with E: D there should be no need for lots of data to come in. Much less than say, Orgrimmar in World of Warcraft. The main thing would be the ping.

I hope it will be playable from outside Europe. I'm in Lancaster. But the Lancaster in Ohio, USA. Fortunately my ping to the forums here is ~100ms.

Just before this gets out of hand and forces people to get excessively large Broadband packages for no reason. You do not need a large broadband package to play a game only to download it fast.

The Basic 30Mb package from Virgin media is more than enough. As stated earlier a ADSL line of 1Mb and above is also more than sufficient as long as you are not hosting.

This biggest issue in gaming is upload size and latency or Packet Delay Variance (PDV). If you are hosting a game you need as much upload as you can get hold of and in the UK it's generally a lot lower than the size of the download Virgin try for a 10:1 (D:U) ratio. PDV is the time variance between packets if this gets too large then you end up getting the warping that most people tend to see in MP games.

The only time a large download size is handy is when you are downloading.

As others have stated, a few mb is fine, and latency is more important.

If you're on a 1mb line you don't want to have someone else in the house watching Youtube while you're playing, but apart from that you are fine.

Got FTTC (70 down, 20 up and no download limit).

Nicest part is I could only get 6 And .4 before (poor copper wiring + far from exchange)

I have found that server side performance and bandwidth seems to make more of a difference to lag than the local speed.

Last edited:
2423054968.png

Virgin Media 100MB

Top Bottom