Rare Trade Runs

I'm role playing as a trader and am using the Trade Extension (non-crowd sourced) to log commodity prices etc. It's great fun.

There's one fly in the ointment though - rares. To what extent do you think a trader in Elite would know about the existence of them? What in universe methods could I use to discover them? I know that rares most likely exist in systems with descriptions but surely my in universe commander would know about some of the more "famous" ones.

There's that 71 stop trade route that's on the forum elsewhere - surely this info would be tradeable somehow in game?

any ideas?

I personally avoid wikis like plague, I have no idea where to find rare goods apart from one.
I reckon best way to trade rare as role player is to find one by accident or read about it in the in-game galnet news.

Last edited:
There's one fly in the ointment though - rares. To what extent do you think a trader in Elite would know about the existence of them?

Seeing that:

a) there would be some informal chatting between pilots ( just like in the forums )
b) almost all the rares carry the system name in there name
and
c) who is to say there would be no equivalent to wikipedia in the elite universe

I have no qualms using it/them.

It depends on what kinds of concessions you are willing to make with your RP. For instance, I tend to allow a bit of freedom, including such tools as Sloppey's (only with what I input, not taking community info). This works for my "head canon" in that my vessel likely has logs I can use anyway.

You have to decide what you're willing to concede with your RP. Does GalNet have "wikis" and Trader communities? Do perhaps somet traders share information of rare goods, or are they more likely to keep that information secret and safe. Have you encountered any of these goods outside of your trading? Daily consumption? Seen at a marketplace?

I tend to lean towards the plausible, not forcing unnecessarily tought rulse. (As in, it's plausible I had some Alpha Centauri Gin somewhere and decided to go buy some to sell to my home station so I can order more, but technically not overly likely).

This is also going to explain my switching from Patreus to Loren, if I do decide to take that route after the 20th. It's plausible (and my story) that if I switch to working for her, the recent GalNet attention brought her into my eyes. I fell in love and am going to work through the ranks to make her notice me and fall in love with me... Assuming I pick her over Patreus that is. The additional info I needed to make this decision come fromthe books and a bio on the internet I found. I just said to myself "Saw it on GalNet" and my characters actions can make sense within the Universe.

Your call really, but it has to make sense to you in the end.

</rant>

Top Bottom