Recommendations for a 5000LY Palin Trip

Hi all,

The most I've been out of the bubble is to the dark zone in a Courier, didn't know what I expected but it was very dark...

Anyway I'm now looking to do my first proper trip out 5000LY & back again for Palin.

Any recommendations on places to go?

I've equipped my Anaconda with everything from turrets, 6A shields, a fighter bay to AFMU's & a 7C fuel scoop. I've probably got about a 22LY jump range, so the galaxy edge is probably out of the question.

What do you say?

Take your pick, loads of nebulae in the area
ED Local Nebula

I'd go for NGC6820 myself, no reason other than I intended to go there months ago and got sidetracked by Jaunt2Jaques

Last edited:
It depends on how you want to do it.

If you want to unlock Palin as fast as possible, strip down your anaconda to a bare minimum, achieve your max possible jumprange, bookmark a sys 5000LY away, reach that and return.
If you want to make some exploration and take a little time to see some shinies, then any ship with a fuel scoop will do. You can Point a nebula 5000LY from SOL as Tarrakis suggested.

Just be aware that all the stars inside the Nebulae are already tagged, and that the routes going to Trifid or Omega have already been travelled many stars in the route could be tagged too. Other directions than the northern route have been less explored. So if you try to go to the Rosetta, for example, you will have the Rosetta itself already tagged to the bone, but more undiscovered systems to get there.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Ah, you might want to install EDD, everything you scan get stored in a community database that you can access too, your route is recorded for future reference and just for fun at the end of the journey you can save a pic of the route you made on the EDD galaxy map. you can directly record there every findings instead of writing it down on paper or on separate excell sheets, so you'll be able to refind your discoveries and open these system maps without efforts. And even with a 5000Ly trip you will help the community with the data you discover.

Visit the pretty. Go to Veil West nebula, then California nebula, visit the trail of stars at NGC 1333, loop back to Barnard's Loop and see Messier 78, drop down to see the absolutely stunning Spirograph Nebula, and then go home via Orion and Witch Head, seeing Rigel on the way. That should be enough, and more importantly would make for an interesting trip

Oh, it has to be 5K in a straight line? All that typing, wasted [haha]

Go to Bubble Nebula

Last edited:
It depends on how you want to do it.
If you want to unlock Palin as fast as possible, strip down your anaconda to a bare minimum, achieve your max possible jumprange, bookmark a sys 5000LY away, reach that and return.

If you want to unlock Palin as fast as possible, bookmark a system 5000LY (plus a bit extra just in case) away, reach that and self destruct. Buy a striped down ASP so you don't have a huge rebuy but you'll save 5000Ly back to the bubble

NOTE: I've not done this but I read other people suggest it so I assume the lys traveled persist after death

Thanks all.

I'm not bothered about "as fast as possible" or a straight line, but I also don't want to spend too long out there because I only get to play 2 nights a week, 3 hours or so a night. If I wanted to do it quick I'd just buy a Hauler & fly 5000LY then suicide...

I figure if I'm honking and scanning interesting bodies it could be anywhere between 1 minute - 5 minutes per system. Based on this I reckon I can get about 300LY an hour, maybe more.

So, on a conservative 20LY jump range, we're talking about maybe 750LY an evening if I decide to stop at a planet and fly/drive around to avert the space madness. Based on this, I'm looking at 6 weeks to get out to 5000LY, then another 6 weeks back. It should hopefully take me close to when 2.3 will drop.

Knowing what I'm like though, I'll end up getting impatient on the way back and honk/jumping instead of properly scanning bodies, then we're looking at maybe 750LY an hour instead, and I'll be back in a couple of evenings.

I've seen the passenger missions have 2 week complete times, which is too short unfortunately.

I'm not bothered about first discovered, you only have to travel 500LY or so off the path to a nebula to find undiscovered stuff, I'm more just wanting some nice places to visit. Space exploration tourism if you will :)

So from the above I've got the bubble nebula?

Bongo I'm just going to paste your lined out text as I can't read and want to have a look in game at what you're talking about, it looks interesting :)

Go to Veil West nebula, then California nebula, visit the trail of stars at NGC 1333, loop back to Barnard's Loop and see Messier 78, drop down to see the absolutely stunning Spirograph Nebula, and then go home via Orion and Witch Head, seeing Rigel on the way. That should be enough, and more importantly would make for an interesting trip

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I'm not bothered about "as fast as possible" or a straight line, but I also don't want to spend too long out there because I only get to play 2 nights a week, 3 hours or so a night. If I wanted to do it quick I'd just buy a Hauler & fly 5000LY then suicide...

I figure if I'm honking and scanning interesting bodies it could be anywhere between 1 minute - 5 minutes per system. Based on this I reckon I can get about 300LY an hour, maybe more.

So, on a conservative 20LY jump range, we're talking about maybe 750LY an evening if I decide to stop at a planet and fly/drive around to avert the space madness. Based on this, I'm looking at 6 weeks to get out to 5000LY, then another 6 weeks back. It should hopefully take me close to when 2.3 will drop.

Knowing what I'm like though, I'll end up getting impatient on the way back and honk/jumping instead of properly scanning bodies, then we're looking at maybe 750LY an hour instead, and I'll be back in a couple of evenings.

I've seen the passenger missions have 2 week complete times, which is too short unfortunately.

I'm not bothered about first discovered, you only have to travel 500LY or so off the path to a nebula to find undiscovered stuff, I'm more just wanting some nice places to visit. Space exploration tourism if you will :)

So from the above I've got the bubble nebula?

Bongo I'm just going to paste your lined out text as I can't read and want to have a look in game at what you're talking about, it looks interesting :)

Go to Veil West nebula, then California nebula, visit the trail of stars at NGC 1333, loop back to Barnard's Loop and see Messier 78, drop down to see the absolutely stunning Spirograph Nebula, and then go home via Orion and Witch Head, seeing Rigel on the way. That should be enough, and more importantly would make for an interesting trip

If that suits you, you could optimize your conda a little and easily achieve 1000Ly per hour completly without rushing and taking your time to scan the shinies you come across.
If exploration is not your main career it's not required you engineer your ship only for this trip. You can downgrade many core modules, leave weapons at home (if interdicted you submit -> FSD away in any circumstance) and easily achieve 35+ LY jumprange without any mod. That's going to speed up your expedition still making it meaningfull.

OFC if you despise flying stripped ships what you have now is perfect: you have to love your ship.

But if you are interested in a little more optimization this is one of many examples of an exploconda:

Revenant

Regarding the internals it's up to you, but to escape an interdiction 4D shields are more than enough, but the 3D are even more popular.
7A fuel scoop is not needed, as 6A AFMU. You can downgrade them. Just bring any 7 fuel scoop, B or C are ok if you are tight on money.
If you want to boost, without engineering 5A PD is the minimum, but if you don't need to boost with 1D PD you save a lot of weight.
5D thruster are more than enough: you'll pass 90% of time in SC.
Then fit the lowest possible A grade PP.
And finally downgrade the fuel tank. With new route plotter and a good scoop 16/24 T are more than enough (you can filter route for scoopables).

As previously mentioned, all of this is good only if suits you. If for you going out stripped is not fun, then your fit is perfect.

Last edited:
zKBtpnR.png

Top Bottom