Regarding CG "Tiers"

Genuine question...is there any rhyme or reason to the Tiers assigned to various CG's? For awhile - it seams - there were only 5. And they were exponentially larger. Tier 1 to Tier 2 was "X" and then Tier 2 to Tier 3 was "2X" and so on. But lately it seems that the Tiers seem to be somewhat random. For instance...why does the current one (Defend the Peace Talks in Sirius) have 8? It's not tied to any global reward structure that I can determine. Is just to make sure it lasts longer so everyone has a shot?

As I said, genuine question, no salt. It's just something I have noticed lately. Tier 5, Tier 7....I feel like there was one lately that topped out at 4. Any ideas?

It is usually 5 tiers. As was this one too. However often FD fudge the numbers when they realise it will either not get to tier 1 or alternatively will be finished too quickly. This one was the latter and had 3 tiers tagged on

Ill informed as I am, having not even looked at the current CG, I'm going to take a stab at this.

I was quite surprised in the last CG (that I did participate in) that I delivered something like 400tons and that was in one day, I went straight into the top 50% and remained there until completion. There were quite a few that I could see that participated but must have been lower than me.

So I wonder if they introduce more tiers, they can encourage more people at the bottom to maybe work toward the next tier up or, the they knew this 'shooting things' CG would be so popular that it would be silly to have such wide tiers. You could have shot say, 50 ships and be in the same band as 500. Or shoot 500 and be in the same band as 2,500.

As I say, I have no idea, I'm entirely basing this on my own, often flawed logic.

Ninja'd indeed to show that I was in fact talking out of the top of my hat. Good job me.

It is usually 5 tiers. As was this one too. However often FD fudge the numbers when they realise it will either not get to tier 1 or alternatively will be finished too quickly. This one was the latter and had 3 tiers tagged on
I remember the mining CG at SagA* during DW2 had something silly like 10 tiers if I remember...and it was completed early.

So anything other than 5 means handwavium fixitus?

much better read than the factual ninja post!
bow.jpg

I remember the mining CG at SagA* during DW2 had something silly like 10 tiers if I remember...and it was completed early.

I wouldn't want to use an absolute that it is always the case . But most of th time CGs start with 5 tiers.
Personally my view is in general if they finished early so be it, if they fail so be it . What is the point if it is always fudged.

BUT
For CGs where there is something extra up fro grabs like ship gear or skins I do think it is important to give as many as possible the chance to compete and having the CG not even make it through the weekend would have been harsh on those who were busy for a few days.

So I think sometimes the extension is warranted. Just imo. (It also means this is a very lucrative CG)

Since the return CGs have usually had 5 tiers when launched, but back before the Interstellar Initiatives happened 8 tiers was normal with the occasional 10 tiers. Of course there were adjustments made when things weren't going right usually by either adding a tier or making the last tier much bigger.
One time they launched a follow up CG because the first one had finished too early, I think that was late on the Friday afternoon.

Not necessarily - there have been a few six-tier CGs when there were six milestones to reach. But they normally seem to aim for five.
(Relatively evenly-spaced when they're fairly confident about the participation levels; exponentially spaced for the more novel ones where no-one has a clue in advance how it's going to go)

And then of course this week's has 8 so that it can be the same as last week.

Since the return CGs have usually had 5 tiers when launched, but back before the Interstellar Initiatives happened 8 tiers was normal with the occasional 10 tiers.
Really? I've been in game for almost four years and don't have any recollection of that. They say the mind is the first to go, though...

Really? I've been in game for almost four years and don't have any recollection of that. They say the mind is the first to go, though...
Luckly other sites have direct access to old CGs

Actually I like it a lot that they dynamically change the CG tiers nowadays.
Granted the trade CG tiers are a bit strange, but I won't complain.

The first Sirius BH CG would've ended on Sunday (or even Saturday), had FD not intervened.
This is cool.

Before the big Galnet and CG hiatus 8 tiers were the norm, with only occasionally a 5 tier one mixed in. Tiers on top of that usually get added when the CG looks like it would end way prematurely. That only works if the CG at least survives the weekend, no one checks or adjusts things during weekends.

Top Bottom