General / Off-Topic Remember this Ladybird book?

I'm not quite that old, but having two older brothers I saw plenty of childrens books about space from that era. They were confidently predicting moon bases by 1980 and Mars landings by 1990.

Predicting the future is a dangerous thing. We are 4 years past Back to the Future 2. We are living in the year of Blade Runner. Better brush up on my Voight Kampff test. Are supposed to eat the turtle again?

Although it was a few years before my time, I have the vaguest of hazy memories about seeing that one in school. In 1979 I got this book, which predicted a few interesting things like hybrid electric cars and mag-lev trains in vacuum tunnels as well as some proper you what? stuff like satellite laser powered airliners and a return to coal power:
...Better brush up on my Voight Kampff test. Are supposed to eat the turtle again?
Leave it baking on its back under a hot sun. If you don’t know how long for, then you are a bad chef. Or a replicant. One of the two. How’s your Mum?

Although it was a few years before my time, I have the vaguest of hazy memories about seeing that one in school. In 1979 I got this book, which predicted a few interesting things like hybrid electric cars and mag-lev trains in vacuum tunnels as well as some proper you what? stuff like satellite laser powered airliners and a return to coal power:

Page 14, that swing-wing concept. I remember having a small book about future fighters, one of which was a NASA test aircraft that did that. Just had a goggle and it was the AD-1 Oblique.
Also had things like the F-16 AFTI, which was so cool - fly in one direction and point another - and the Sikorsky compound helicopter where they strapped on a pair of massive engines and an F-5 Tiger wing; I guess somebody wanted to try to make Airwolf a reality. So many neat ideas that never went anywhere.

Somewhere I still have a book called Space Wars: Fact and Fiction. It has a comic strip in it, Jason January Space Cadet, which had the fanciful idea that Britain would be policing the galaxy with the Royal Space Navy.
Yet apparently space pirates could fly unchallenged right up to the headquarters of the most powerful navy in the galaxy and steal the HMS Victory. Go figure.

Page 14, that swing-wing concept. I remember having a small book about future fighters, one of which was a NASA test aircraft that did that. Just had a goggle and it was the AD-1 Oblique...
Never even heard of that before, I always thought it was just one of the weird ideas in the book. Thanks for the info!
...which had the fanciful idea that Britain would be policing the galaxy with the Royal Space Navy.
As ex-RN, I heartily approve of the Senior Service getting a shot at it after Dan Dare & his cRAb Fat chums :)
...Yet apparently space pirates could fly unchallenged right up to the headquarters of the most powerful navy in the galaxy and steal the HMS Victory. Go figure.
Er...this wasn’t on a Wednesday afternoon was it? I’m not saying they’d all be in the Ship Anson having a few light refreshments, but...yeah. >buuuuuuurrrpppp<

Flying cars, the tech isn't the problem. The difficulty is people. Think drunks,hopelessly inept drivers, college kids on holiday, violence-minded with issues (political,religious, domestic or generic I-hate-people).

Top Bottom