Return to Surface Problem - Rift VR

Just got the game for my Rift and am having problems with the controls. I'm using my rift headset with a Hotas so, using the keyboard is pretty much out of the question. I'm on the second training mission where you have to leave the station. They tell you to select Return to Surface but I can see no way to accomplice that. My mouse doesn't do anything and neither do any controls on my Hotas. Is there some control I can map out in the options to let me do this and if so, which one?

Yes, you'll want to spend a bit of time getting your controls sorted with VR.

I use a hat and a couple of switches on my HOTAS to navigate HUD menus along with a modifier button. It'll probably take a bit of playing around for you to get things just right.

While this may not work for your HOTAS, this is what I do:

Hat (unmodified) -
Left - Left HUD panel
Right - Right HUD panel
Up - Comms
Down - The panel between your legs - not sure what it's called.
(These are the 1234 keys by default.)

Hat (modified)
Moves the cursor within a panel, so left, right, up and down. (Same as WASD keys on the keyboard.)

I then have two switches on my flight stick that when modified select different panels (Same as Q and E keys on keyboard.)

Finally I have a switch that when modified acts as the select (tab).

Finally, for VR I would strongly recommend VoiceAttack. You can try it out for free and buying it is just $10. Then you can map keystrokes to voice commands.

Last edited:
Do you have settings to open the system box on the left? (usually a tophat on the stick to select system/comms/right panel and lap menu) Return to the surface is just selecting from the system map.
Which HOTAS are you using?

I can not recommend voice attack and an hcs voice pack strongly enough while using a VR set like the Rift. Don't have to try and type, just say what you want done.

Top Bottom