Rock re-spawn?

Do they? If so what's the mechanism?

I'm enjoying this new mining, and out on the very edger of the bubble, the rocks are good, the market is good, I'm just wondering if they're going to run out?!

Thanks folks.

Even if they didn't respawn, the entire playerbase couldn't deplete a single system in our lifetime.

As unrealistic as it sounds, I think the RNG starts shifting away from the original average density, the more asteroids that have been mined in that hotspot within the last 6 days.

Lestat

Banned
It blows my mind that some people are unable to understand the scale of these rings.
I agree. And that including the rare ores like Void Opal.
As unrealistic as it sounds, I think the RNG starts shifting away from the original average density, the more asteroids that have been mined in that hotspot within the last 6 days.
I think the problem you have is Elite Dangerous does not show the real size of a planet. If we went to Saturns rings and collected Minerals or ores with our current world populations It would take Millions of years to collect all the ores.

Last edited:
Do they? If so what's the mechanism?

I'm enjoying this new mining, and out on the very edger of the bubble, the rocks are good, the market is good, I'm just wondering if they're going to run out?!

Thanks folks.

No, they don't run out, replenishment times are.

5-7 days for deepcore mining
2 hours for old school mining, dunno if its a thing

I think the problem you have is Elite Dangerous does not show the real size of a planet.
Exactly. The "dune"* in the background in the Apollo 17 photo below is 3km away and 2000m high. It is lack of familiar foreground references that diminish the sense of scale in space.
* Actually a mountain forming part of a huge basin crater rim.

Amazing how they managed to cram all that into a tiny film studio. I'll get my coat....

Last edited:
The 5-7 days, is that for hotspot mining in general or are you considering the double painite within the old school mining?
Double painite is old school laser mining still, so 2 hours - though in general you don't have a reference site for that, so it doesn't matter as you won't be dropping in to exactly the same place again anyway.

How does the RNG and rock spawning work?

Are the deepcore rocks distributed throughout the hotspot or
Is there a variable somewhere which affects the spawn rate of deep-core rocks and reduces each time a rock is mined?
or something else?

Purely anecdotal, but I have noticed hotspots where rocks seem to spawn everywhere and others where they don't and as Driver777 says, the hotspots are huge! The chances of me landing in a spot mined by another human is pretty remote.

I think there is a spawn rate variable.

Dunno though!!!

How does the RNG and rock spawning work?

Are the deepcore rocks distributed throughout the hotspot or
Is there a variable somewhere which affects the spawn rate of deep-core rocks and reduces each time a rock is mined?
or something else?

Purely anecdotal, but I have noticed hotspots where rocks seem to spawn everywhere and others where they don't and as Driver777 says, the hotspots are huge! The chances of me landing in a spot mined by another human is pretty remote.

I think there is a spawn rate variable.

Dunno though!!!

It would be interesting to know, doubt we would ever find out. Anyway, artificial depletion or not, no need to worry about running out of areas to mine. Regarding scale, if anyone is in doubt, take your fastest ship, try and traverse some of those hotspots end to end in normal space, we'll discuss it in a few weeks/months.

Thinking about it, they cannot possibly in a year of Sunday's be storing data for every rock, that would be hundreds of face books, or insta watsits.

So how are they doing this? Temporary snapshots would be too much data. It has to be a seed generated from the master seed, but still, holding the data pf every rock interfered with for 4/6 days would be huge. I can't believe this is how it's done.

Top Bottom