Running on fumes...a fuel story

Hello everyone!

To state this first, i know about the techniques of fuelling in deep space(KGBFOAM, good fuel scoop, finding the scooping sweet spot), nevertheless i nearly ran dry in the middle of nowhere. So here's my little story...for amusement and as a warning.

I was doing some exploring to gain REP with the Sirius Corp. I deliberately ignored the KGBFOAM-rule in my route-planning, because i was hoping to find some completely undiscovered systems that way(for not beeing far out from the bubble). This can go well if you pay attention, which i didn't being distracted by a phone call while jumping from system to system.

As i wanted to charge my FSD for the next jump, that sweet board computer voice told me "cannot comply...insufficient fuel". I looked at the fuel gauge, which showed me i was literally running on fumes(maybe just one short-range jump left). Of course the system i was in contained just one star, non-scoopable. Do i have to mention, that my heart-rate peaked immediately? How could this happen to me? I never ran out of fuel before and reading so much about this issue in this forum weeks before release made me swear an oath to myself: This will never ever happen to me!! But it nearly did...just because i got distracted and was not paying attention.

After fighting the shock-induced paralysis(including considering suicide), these were my near-disaster recovery measures:

- Selecting KGBFOAM-stars only in the GalMap
- Switching from fastest route to economical route
- Praying to god, there's a scoopable star in range

Fortunately the GalMap showed me this life-saving solid orange line to the next star! Lucky me! This could have gone sideways easily...what a relief!

So my "lessons learned" from this incident are:

- Even though exploration doesn't need 100% attention all the time, don't get distracted completely. Especially if it comes to fuel management and/or route planning
- You can ignore the KGBFOAM-rule, but it can be (elite) dangerous. You may find yourself inside a large field of non-scoopable stars, having to face the consequences
- Have an eye on your fuel gauge very regularly
- Top up your fuel tank when you are down to 1/3 capacity the latest (if not everytime you have the chance)

That said, fly SAFE commanders!

O7
Qglfang

Last edited:
Top Bottom