Saving graphics configurations - toggle between configurations?

Hi Guys,I swap between set ups frequently, sometimes using rift for flying and fighting, and sometimes use monitor for playing a role, trading etc. The latest release is a huge improvement for me on rift but I struggle to absorb the information on the market screens - its like looking up at a wall and I have to move my head around too much - and is therefore uncomfortable to use for any serious or extended play. I love the rift experience but want to have both at different times.Is there a way to save the ED graphics settings in separate configurations that I can load up depending on the circumstances? I also like to fiddle with different settings to experiment what will provide best image versus performance - when I find a good one, I'd like to be able to back it up and reapply when I mess them up again. Ideally I'd like to be able to toggle between the two modes in game - quickly swapping for the appropriate task - eg fly with rift - switch to monitor to plan route - back to rift to fly ...Thoughts Guys?

Hi Guys,I swap between set ups frequently, sometimes using rift for flying and fighting, and sometimes use monitor for playing a role, trading etc. The latest release is a huge improvement for me on rift but I struggle to absorb the information on the market screens - its like looking up at a wall and I have to move my head around too much - and is therefore uncomfortable to use for any serious or extended play. I love the rift experience but want to have both at different times.Is there a way to save the ED graphics settings in separate configurations that I can load up depending on the circumstances? I also like to fiddle with different settings to experiment what will provide best image versus performance - when I find a good one, I'd like to be able to back it up and reapply when I mess them up again. Ideally I'd like to be able to toggle between the two modes in game - quickly swapping for the appropriate task - eg fly with rift - switch to monitor to plan route - back to rift to fly ...Thoughts Guys?

There might be.

Firstly you are aware that you can copy the options text files to store them for re-use later?

You'll finding the options for bindings, graphics and audio here 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options'. You can simply make a copy of each folder to somewhere else on your drive and then copy/paste the folder (or files within the folder) to switch set ups, though I'm pretty sure you'll have to relaunch Elite for it to take affect. I have a folder that has a shortcut to the options folder and different versions of bindings ( several X55 Rhino HOTAS and an box version) as well as desktop and Oculus Graphic settings. Whenever I make changes to the options in Elite I just remember to copy over the folder of files within a specific option folder to my back up. With this set up its easy enough to switch between desktop and Oculus before starting the game.

Secondly a few versions ago I was playing around with adding my own graphic configurations via E:D own Quality Preset option (e.g. Adding to Low, Medium, High ). You'll find these in '<where you installed the game>\EDLaunch\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1002' and the 'Option Defaults' folder. I simply copied one of the existing options, change its filename and configured the settings inside. The settings are similar to those found in 'Custom.fxcfg' in 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics', so you can set up E:D graphics to how you want them and then use the custom.fxcfg as a reference for the values you need to set.

Once you've created a new preset it should appear in the dropdown list under 'Graphics' within Elite, although I seem to remember the name not actually showing the last time i tested, just a blank space. Alternatively you could just over-write the high, med and low configurations with your own. Assuming this still works it should enable you to quickly switch between graphic quality settings, (e.g. AA, AO, Texture quality, shader quality etc), but does not change resolutions, window/fullscreen etc.

Last edited:
Thanks - this is great advice and information. I may also make a VoiceAttack profile macro to set up the environment for each mode of operation substituting the appropriate back up folder and config files in the 'active' directory prior to starting ED, to automate the correct launch sequences and load my preferences. I can save test profiles with super sampled res on and off etc. to easily switch and compare ... loverly.

When using the OR in extended mode with the second monitor mirror, is there a substantial hit on performance and can it be used to switch play between rift and monitor modes in game play? Is there a way to lock the OR orientation so the monitor maintains the forward view when the OR on top of your head and pointing at the ceiling, or face down on the desk.

Thanks again ...

Top Bottom