Self Imposed Iron-Man Mode strikes again!

Self Imposed Iron-Man Mode ( Or: S.I.IM.M ) strikes again! ... After a slow, but successful start for my newest CMDR, 19+ Mill in the bank, 3 ships .. a starter Cobra (Kickstarter/Backers App reward) for collecting, a T - 6 for 'Space-Cow'ing' and a Vulture for that much needed Pew-pew. I disregarded Han Solo's advice, and ... got 'Cocky' ... Death ensued, from an NPC no less! (Yes, I die to NPC's) ... That 1 Insurance claim on my record is always enough to restart my CMDR.

So now, I start again, What great timing .. The build up to 'Oddessy' - It should be fun.

Now, what ship to start in ...

Yep I can't stand to have that stat either. However I have found that re-qualifying the engineers has drained the fun from clear-saves. So now I play "plastic-man" - on death I don't take a rebuy but instead opt for the freewinder at my starting location. That way I have no insurance claim in the stats and don't need to re-open the engineers. Of course it means I only lose the ship that was destroyed and the engineering associated with it and its modules - but at least I don't get the itchy brain from an insurance claim.

I like the fact that I have seen the changes in engineer demands, It's a lot easier now. :)

Very cool. Do you play only solo ?
I would presume playing open wouldn't be fair as everyone else is playing an easy mode respawn game but you are playing Ironman.

Shame Fdev dont just create and Ironman mode.

Fellow Ironman cmdr here...

Started doing it about 4-5 months after I learned the ropes. Did lose a few cmdr’s due to stupidly...

Greatest hits were...

Viper4 - Boosted in station when meaning to lower landing gear...

Vulture - Mass locked by Clipper, didn’t know about high waking...

Courier - Rammed in the face by ‘Conda

Viper3 - Tried to ram a ‘Conda in the face

Dropship - Got distracted browsing the galaxy map after launching from station, got timed out and destroyed.

Dropship - Went canyon racing....drifted

Dropship - Interdicted and mass locked by conda...still didn’t know about high wake.

...there’s probably others.

So you’re not alone. I only play in solo or a group with people I trust.

I haven’t actually ‘died’ in a very long time, I usually just make the decision to re-start instead...
I’ve got the itch right now actually as I really want to try a full anarchy cmdr before Odyssey.

Ironman is cool, especially if you like rp’ing different careers in the game. Re-starting doesn’t feel bad when you know you’re going to be doing something different this time around...I always look forward to it.

My all time goal is triple elite with no claims. I would have achieved it years ago if I didn’t get bored so easily. One day...

Last edited:
Each to their own, with the key words in this thread title being "self imposed". Personally, I just play the game as it was made and take advantage of the cheap insurance. If that makes me a woos in other people's eyes then so be it.

Interesting timing, as I was thinking about my "life" as an Elite Dangerous CMDR, and it's a bit complicated because of my switch from PS4 to PC. I still see my adventures as a single CMDR, though technically I am two different CMDRs. There are things that I have achieved on PS4 that I don't have evidence of on PC (decals, names on planets, etc), but the memories are one in the same.

Long story short, I just can't see myself doing pure iron man where I pretend I die, because I would then have to pretend my memories are transferred into a new body. A new CMDR isn't a new CMDR, because he has all the collected memories and experiences of those CMDRs who came before. So instead, if I were to play a version of iron man, it would be ship iron man - I would refuse the rebuy and lose the ship and engineering, but I myself would live on thanks to Remlock. I've been very tempted by this gameplay in the past, but very rarely have I actually been able to push the button when that rebuy screen comes up. But if the game itself offered "hard mode", where I could select at the start to disable rebuys, I would be tempted!

(BTW, a true iron man would uninstall the game when he dies, LOL)

I... I couldn’t. It’s great and admirable, going ironman, hats off to you.

I’ve thought about it, but the idea of unlocking all the engineers again gives me a case of the screaming heebie-jeebies.

1DD03A1A-A2CB-4FB9-80B5-C664BE671CE6.jpeg

I’ve thought about it, but the idea of unlocking all the engineers again gives me a case of the screaming heebie-jeebies.

It's quite fun .... untill your Clipper blows up .*

I'm with you on this one.

Unlocking the engineers wouldn't be such a big deal tbh, but getting all my stuff back that I was able to accumulate over the years... 45% discounted corvettes from last year, 35% discounted Cutters, my FC, billions of credits, the ranks, and of course my trusty carrier, who has been my home for the last 4 months.

Top Bottom