Hardware & Technical Sennheiser HD 202 Half Price @ Amazon.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Grabbed a pair, at that price you can't really complain can you?

Cheers Rog. :D

No prob.

Know quite a few are interested in single-player, and they are fantastic value at that price - none of yer Beats Audio stuff.

:D

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
No prob.

Know quite a few are interested in single-player, and they are fantastic value at that price - none of yer Beats Audio stuff.

:D

Tell me about it £100 odd quid they cost me for the lad and they are falling apart already.

Tell me about it £100 odd quid they cost me for the lad and they are falling apart already.
Apparently, 'Dr' Dre (not actually a registered physician I believe), made *way* more money from those rubbish branded headphones than he ever did with his equally high quality 'music'.

On a similar note, had to fix my lad's Turtle Beach (PX22's I think) a few weeks ago... :(

They look OK on the outside, but the inside is absolute pants. Rubbish drivers, hot glue, terrible soldering and junk wire.

I am constantly astonished at the money they charge for those gaming headsets.

Incidentally while I'm here, if anyboy *is* looking for a cheap but half decent headset, you could try these Plantronics 'Gamecom 380' for £19.99: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-86050-05-Gamecom-Gaming-Headset/dp/B0079G2Y2A

The audio is pretty good (not 'audiophile', but certainly good enough for gaming, plenty of bass but not boomy), the microphone is *excellent* - very clear and noise-cancelling. Decent build quality and no fiddly setup. Just two jack plugs for mic and audio, volume and mute controls on the left ear-cup, decent quality and long cable.

I've got a pair of 202s that have outlasted many other pairs of headphones, and they've definitely got to be one of the best sets at that price. Would also agree that gaming headsets are junk on the whole. Had one set with an incredibly thin pin of plastic that was connecting the cup to the headband. Unsurprisingly it snapped one day, and there was no fixing it. Also had a pair not so long ago that got sent back the same day as the microphone was dead and the jack was so crappy it didn't even mate properly. How can you screw up a 3.5mm jack?!

Just last week the stars aligned, and I both had some funds available and the AKG 702s I'd been looking at for ages were at a good price (£167!). Given how much I use headphones, they're totally worth it. Very comfortable to wear and the sound-quality is superb. They're open-backed which gives them a very impressive soundstage, meaning the 'surround sound' is actually much better than 5.1/7.1 gaming headsets.

I have a pair of HD600s that I was lucky to by new for 35 quid!

Gonna pick up a pair of these though, kids are always knackering headphones.

Stachel

Banned
Thats an insanely good price for excellent headphones. I just picked up a pair Turtle Beach P11's off ebay for £16. I got to say the HD202's give much finer clarity but they really blow for bass.

These P11's rock for bass and blow for clarity.

My 202's lasted about a year - ran them over one too many times with the chair.

You can't seem to win. :D

Just last week the stars aligned, and I both had some funds available and the AKG 702s I'd been looking at for ages were at a good price (£167!). Given how much I use headphones, they're totally worth it. Very comfortable to wear and the sound-quality is superb. They're open-backed which gives them a very impressive soundstage, meaning the 'surround sound' is actually much better than 5.1/7.1 gaming headsets.
I has extreme headphone envy... :D

A *nice* pair of opens give a great sound, but not always appreciated by others I've found. Philistines!

Thats an insanely good price for excellent headphones. I just picked up a pair Turtle Beach P11's off ebay for £16. I got to say the HD202's give much finer clarity but they really blow for bass.

These P11's rock for bass and blow for clarity.

My 202's lasted about a year - ran them over one too many times with the chair.

You can't seem to win. :D
Clear and accurate reproduction FTW, you can always tweak the bass if necessary. And stop running your cans over with your chair! :p

I also note the Amazon HD-202's are now up to £27. I hope anyone that wanted a pair got them in time.

One nice thing about the Sennheisers is that you can obtain spare parts for them. I mangled the cord of my HD600s one time to many and was able to buy a replacement cable for much less than the cost of a new set of cans.

One nice thing about the Sennheisers is that you can obtain spare parts for them. I mangled the cord of my HD600s one time to many and was able to buy a replacement cable for much less than the cost of a new set of cans.

And foam covers and pads. Just re-upholstered my PMX60s and HD414s for £6 including four sets of spares for each, which is handy as I seem to have abrasive ears!

I can also recommend the "Superlux HD-668 B" from thomann. They are recommended as amazing monitor headphones for the price.

I have a pair of HD600s that I was lucky to by new for 35 quid!

Gonna pick up a pair of these though, kids are always knackering headphones.

Well I picked up a pair, just to have a hanging around for the next time the kids break some. Don't like the sound of them.

Mind you I hate closed headphones for sound quality, I use me HD600s most of the time for general use, sometimes use my HD25s when I'm recording whilst listening, which is rare.

These 202s are a little dissapointing, I know they are closed, but I was expecting a little more clarity, they sound very muddy to me.

... time passes ...

Just though I'd try them on a different source. THey are much better on CD player or iphone. Not sure why the PC is so bad, can't see it would have trouble pushing them when it manages the HD600s fine.

These actually might be nice for using out and about, walking, on the bus etc.

HD600s do tend to **** people off on the bus.

Just though I'd try them on a different source. THey are much better on CD player or iphone. Not sure why the PC is so bad, can't see it would have trouble pushing them when it manages the HD600s fine.

Most likely the output impedance of your soundcard is too high. The general rule is that the headphone impedance should be at least eight times higher than the output impedance of the source. The 202s are 32ohm, so ideally the source should be 4ohms or less, which I think is what the iPhone is. The HD600s are 300ohms, so are good for output impedances less than or equal to 37.5ohm.

I'm not an expert on this, but as I understand it, when the impedances are wrong the current isn't transmitted nicely. Some of the signal sent to the headphones gets reflected back and forth, which muddies up the sound and makes the bass sound less tight.

Last edited:

Stachel

Banned
The one bad thing about the HD202's is that they don't fit fully over your ears. Unless you have very small ears. The PX11's I have now do and I can wear them all day long .. the HD202's would leave me in agony after a couple of hrs. The PX11's also have fabric pads not faux leather ones which makes things less sweaty! I also think the PX11's are better value because of the mic and inline volume controls. Although they are USB powered.

All in all, for gaming, get the PX11's (or better). Better bass, decent bi-directional audio and comfortable. Mic is good too.

Whilst these are no longer on offer, I've had a pair at work for the past year or 2 and they sound great for music listening in a quiet open plan office. I was pondering a 2nd pair to have at home for ED. Currently I've got a cheapo pair of 'monitor' small overhead phones which were recommended by some music production forum as having a good reproduction quality at a bargain basement price. Either way, I can;t wear them for more than 20 minutes as they press my ears in and fold them over. I can wear the HD202s all day long though. They feel like they are hugging my ears!

However, I was all sold on the idea of a surround sound headset until I started reading posts on here that they may be akin to snake oil. Would I be better off just getting a set of HD202s for gaming? I tend to play in the loft at night when the baby is asleep so will not be doing any voice comms in multiplayer so a mic is not necessary.

Top Bottom