Separate control schemes for travel modes, but STILL shared interface controls? Really FD?

Just opened up Odyssey, looked at controls and I see FD have separated control schemes across the modes of travel. Great (I thought) that means theyve taken feedback about having menu keybindings limited to just two control schemes not working for people with THREE control types for the game.

But did they put Interface keybindings in each section? No. They kept it in the shared general section so when I'm using HOTAS, M&K AND Xbox controller to play this game I STILL need to reach over to a dormant controller to access menus.

I fly using HOTAS, I'm on FOOT with M&K, and I drive with Xbox Controller. For me, this is the best controller for each situation.

I need to be able to control menus with all three or else when Im using SRV I have to take my hands off the controller and goto the keyboard or HOTAS to switch panels etc.

I like we have separated control sections now rather than one big lumpy screen with everything in it, but I thought FD might have used this a little better.

Agreed.

I have Odyssey and have assigned my gamepad to the SRV and on foot, but because I also use voice attack which relies on keyboard commands, I am unable to use the InsightHUB, because the interface mode is also being used by my HOTAS which is used for flying my ship.

1. Configure voiceattack to accept inputs for your third or fourth controller (a, b, d, c) - extra joystick inputs, game controller buttons, a button box, etc.
2. Assign the functions in voiceattack to generate keypresses which are bound in Elite (w,x,y,z)

Now press a, b, c or d, and voice attack presses w,x,y,z as though you used the keyboard. Just make sure those extra controller inputs aren't also bound in Elite's control settings.

This way you can have multiple ways to do the same thing in Elite instead of just the two binds available in-game.

Example 1: You define your arrow keys and your hotas thumbstick to navigate your UI, but you can't use the thumbstick on your gamepad as well. So you tell Voiceattack to rebind the directions on the gamepad thumbstick to send arrow keys to Elite. Now you can use all three.

Example 2: you want 3 controls for Night vision. You have the regular keypress (no idea what the default is) and then you bind Right-Alt + N as the second, alternative keypress. Now use VoiceAttack to set up one or more controller presses from various devices which are converted to Right-Alt + N, which Elite recognises as night vision toggle.

This is how I use a hotas, kb, mouse and a 25-control button box to play, with many controls having 3+ different ways to activate them.

Job done?

Top Bottom