General Ship type bonuses and built-in modules

Hello cmdrs o7

First post here, decided to create this thread after someone on reddit asked what we would change/add/remove on ED, so is mostly my reply from there

I think it would be interesting to add ship type bonuses, so dedicated ships are better for certain tasks, and we dont come down to just use a python and you are probably going to do better than the specialized ships anyway...After all, they were built for that, so they should be a bit better.

A few examples of how this bonuses could work:

Mining:
+10% Asteroid yields after prospecting
+10% Refinery efficiency (requiring 10% less fragments to refine ore)
+10% weapons charge distributor when using mining lasers

Combat:
+15% Distributor charge capacity for weapons
+15% Distributor recharge for weapons

Passenger:
+30% more sits

Exploration:
+15% Fuel Scoop rate
+15% FSD fuel efficiency

Dedicated ship modules might be interesting as well, not consuming current module slots, but adding a dedicated built-in module that comes from the factory. Here a few examples

Mining:
Dedicated Cargo module for Ores only, based on the ship size.
Small size +24T
Medium Size +48T
Large ships +96T

Combat, this one would be the hardest if going by my ideas. Add a dedicated "special" weapon with it`s own power source so it doesn't eat away the main reactor...And not sure about engineering it, probably not a good idea

Got this idea from a mod from another game I play, called Starsector, some ships there have a dedicated weapon which is usually unique to that ship but similar to other weapons available in game.
FDL could get something like a dual front mounted frag with very short range but high damage;

Something like the Fed Corvette, Cutter and Anaconda could get 2x turrets with decent coverage of the ship, something like the plasma repeaters on SLF but with lower damage output. They are big ships, turrets few natural, but, they have so much less damage than gimballed and fixed weapons that using slots for them is basically always a bad idea.

maybe dedicated medium range fixed MCs on small fast ships like the Viper and Cobra.

Passenger:
Dedicated passenger cabins.
Dolphin could get something like a +32 Economy (or 2x 16 eco) , Orca a +16 Business (or 2x +4 bus) and the Beluga a +8 Luxury ( or 2x +4 Lux).
May be with all the extra sits from the ship type bonus and the dedicated built-in cabins they can start make more money than a Python...

Exploration:
I dont do a lot of exploration, not yet at least, but maybe something like a module that works like backup power. Comes with 1x ammo, adding +25-50% fuel to your tank after use, and needs to be re-supplied on a station.

Last edited:
While I understand your intentions, I had rather see more consistency than more handwavium.

What we really need is volume based or procedural design.

Top Bottom