Short thoughts on Pimax 5K+ and Rift S

Guess what, @-VR- pipestein, you brought me into this)

So, i want to add my general thoughts to that review of a pimax 5K XR.

TLDR: If you are a newcomer - buy Rift S, its great. Pimax is for a crazy sim enthusiast, who willing to deal with its software, non-existent consumer support and ready to spend a LOT of cash.

First off, Rift S is a great all-around HMD, i strongly recommend it to any VR newcomer, taking into account its pros and cons:
  • decent pricing,
  • great controllers and tracking.
  • good lenses,
  • acceptable res LCD screen with pretty good colors,
  • plug-and-play software,
  • good GPU utilisation and ASW which seamlessly reduces GPU load in certain circumstances,
  • decent comfort and easy to use "halo strap",

• subpar build quality and materials,
  • poor audio,
  • closed ecosystem,
  • bugged software with no updates.

I was eager to see what a wide FOV HMD can be like, so i got 5K plus. Let me start with cons:
  • it is freaking expensive! I’m in east europe, where hi-tech gadgets is so hard to obtain. Sometimes it requires pretty risky schemes with increased costs. So, the HMD alone was like $940 (overall cost with taxes and shipping), about the same money you can buy Index FULL KIT in US or EU (thanks Valve for not shipping to Eastern Europe).
  • you get totally nothing in the box for that huge sticker price. You still need at least one vive or steamvr 2.0 base station, which gonna go like $200 each, and steamvr compatible controllers (terrible vive wand or pricey and scarce knuckles) thats like $300-500 more. There is no Pimax controllers available yet, despite they are bragging about it for more than two years. Decent and cheap 1st gen Oculus touch is not compatible with steam tracking, as it uses proprietary trackers, how cool is that, Facebook Oculus?
  • terrible materials, weak plastic shell (Pimax says: Get our rubber case for only $25!)
  • no audio at all, you get 3.5 jack and mic, that's all) Mic is actually better then on rift,
  • pathetic and uncomfortable head strap (Pimax says: Get our DAS for only $299!)

So, you are looking at a hidden upgrade costs of like more than $1000 to make pimax as good as Index in terms of functionality, comfort and usability. So why you should prefer pimax over rift s or index?
Main selling point of Pimax is hi res (which is not so high if you keep in mind PPI ratio) and FOV. Yes, large FOV is a gamechanger, maybe not so prominent in elite (it just makes ED more immersive and comfortable), large FOV really shines in IL-2 and racing sims, it gives you much better situational awareness than conventional HMDs. Keep in mind that outer edges of FOV have distortion, but generally you can see much more stuff ( when looking straight ahead in ASP X cabin you can see lights on both sides of pillars (picrelated, edges of a "normal" fov ends right around those lights).
When bumping up steamvr SS you can get razor-sharp res, on par with my 2k 32' monitor (maybe even better, i dunno), but of course my GPU cant handle that. Even on settings like - pimax: 1.25 , steamvr: auto, ED:SS1.00-HMDQ1.25 text is clear and sharp (except that small dark font in comm panel).

Performance is a little bit worse then Rift and i truly miss ASW. I got 9700kf, 16gb 3200mhz and 2070super. Im getting about the same res with more GPU load on Pimax, which is expected. Oculus ASW helps a lot - you can bump up HMDQ to get clear and readable panels, and when on a planets or busy stations it just drops to ASW to maintain decent framerate. This is not the case with Pimax. You will want to set at least 1.25 HMDQ, but 2070 is struggling to maintain normal latency. Exceeding "11 ms" latency is somewhat more tolerably then it was with Rift, and i dont wanna puke right away. But planets surfaces can raise latency up to 16-18 which is gonna hurt. Also, when approaching 10-11 ms moving objects will jitter.
Edit: actually Pitool has something like ASW which called "Smart Smoothening", and it works. Probably a bit better then ASW, because brings a little less distortion.
144Hz option probably can be a fake. I tried it in IL-2, and it requires latency around 5-7 ms, which my GPU cant deliver. So i cant comment on that. Tried that agian and its awesome, even head movement is much sharper. By the way difference between 80 and 90Hz is probably neglectable. My next monitor or HMD will definately be 144Hz.
Comfort is really bad. Thats it, you really gonna need some better gasket and head strap. Headsed itself is lightweight, so i suppose with good head mounting it will be ok.
Native tracking as you might expect is 3dof only . It tends (all the time) to "drift" and lose zero, so you should get lighthouses too. While 3dof is acceptable in ED, IL-2 needs 6dof (lean to gauge cluster and croshair, to move to the sides to observe landing strip, etc.)

So, should you buy it? Probably no, cus it is too expencive for what it is, and you will need 2080Ti to get smooth image with proper res. But if you already have something like OG Vive, and have lighthouses and DAS, Pimax will be a great step forward, without a need to pay much for upgrades. Also you can consider buying 8KX (not 8K+) which have 4k per eye panels and 4k signal, comes with a "comfort kit gasket" and upgraded, more durable plastic shell. This beast should be totally "future-proof", if pimax could built it right.

Last edited:
Interesting review, much the same as some I've seen online. As a newbie with VR, I'll be giving the Pimax HMD's a miss for now - maybe when the accessories finally appear.

But apart from avoiding Pimax for now, I'm still left a little puzzles as to what direction I should go.

Interesting review, much the same as some I've seen online. As a newbie with VR, I'll be giving the Pimax HMD's a miss for now - maybe when the accessories finally appear.
Dont get me wrong - image is really good if not great, but you will need:
-RTX 2080Ti (around $1300); Probably 1080Ti will do good too.
-Comfort gasket kit ($50), silicone case ($25), pimax MAS ($120) or vive DAS (as cheap as you can find). Actually there is bundles, which can be cheaper, if you can order directly from pimax;
-Lighthouses (i tried vive 1.0 and they did not worked properly, so its better to get 2.0) ($140 each)
-Controllers (at least $240 if Knuckles)
Prices exclude s&h and shipping

But apart from avoiding Pimax for now, I'm still left a little puzzles as to what direction I should go.
It depends
IMO there is only few viable teethered HMDs on a market:
-Rift S (best bang for a buck, great tracking);
-Index (better in every way, but pricey and have some quality issues);
-HP Reverb G1 (best PPI resolution, but have some lens issues, and it is WMR HMD with its downsides), Gen2 should be better in terms of image quality;
-Pimaxes. FOV is unbeatable, but too expencive for what they are.

FOV is perhaps unbeatable, but with anything less than a 2080ti, or even with that I found myself having to set this to the lowest possible to even hope to reach a semi playable framerate.

Also not to have the 5k+ look like a blurry mess I had to run a very high pixel density, almost like 1.8pd with parralell thing etc that is needed for Elite, that also just throws pixels out the window.

Compared to the S that is less than half the cost, has the same vertical resolution, and looks as sharp at 1.2 as the 5k does with 1.8 or more SS.
I have a 5k+, tried to make it work for a week, and was first in line waving money at Oculus when they launched the S.
For my sims, like DCS and PCars 2 it was utterly impossible to get an enjoyable frame rate and the 5k has been sitting in a box since I got the S.

Wide fov, sure, nice, but for anything but lighter stuff like beatsaber etc it was next to unplayable.

Thanks for the review. I was looking at Pimax at one stage but the reddit pimax forum was very enlightening about their business practices. I went down a different path instead with VR.

I find the biggest problem with VR from an initial purchase/VR noob is you have to be able to try the different headsets to truly appreciated the differences. I have not found any place where you could do that.

Thanks for the review. I was looking at Pimax at one stage but the reddit pimax forum was very enlightening about their business practices. I went down a different path instead with VR.

I find the biggest problem with VR from an initial purchase/VR noob is you have to be able to try the different headsets to truly appreciated the differences. I have not found any place where you could do that.

I'm having the same problem, I'd love to try out some of the different options, but I've just not found anywhere to do so. And I hate spending this kind of money on a tech gadget based purely on online reviews and videos. It's looking like I'll go for something Occulus.. Decisions, decisions..

Also not to have the 5k+ look like a blurry mess I had to run a very high pixel density, almost like 1.8pd with parralell thing etc that is needed for Elite, that also just throws pixels out the window.
True, but im getting a litlle bit better clarity with pitool 1.2 (1,25?), steamVR auto, SS1.0/HMDQ 1,25 than i was able to get in Rift S with 1.5 HMDQ with comparable performance. And there is less mura/godrays, and the colors are better. Of course if i could turn back time i would keep Rift S, which is more balanced and way cheaper.

Last edited:
For me it was almost the opposite.
Colours of the two are ok. It light be easier to get the unrealistic, oversaturated look some people think are good on the pimax.

No matter what I did to physical and software ipd the 5k+ always had me feeling off, or cross-eyed after use.
I could never get it comfortable.
I'm at 64.5mm so for me the S is perfect.
It's the most naturally feeling lenses I have yet to try.

I had to duct tape my gearvr facemask to the pimax to be able to fit any glasses in it. The S has plenty room.

Everytime I was to use it, it was 15-20 minutes of fudging around with the software rebooting it, the PC and restarting various services.
This was when it was working "well".
And a 4 month RMA, through a support system that honestly makes my dealing with HP support seem reasonable.

The S had some USB issues to begin with, all sorted by firmware updates now.
Now it's just fire up and go.

So for 1/3 of the price the s has slightly less fov.
Better lenses.
Better tracking, yeah seriously, I don't know what pimax got wrong, but it ain't right.
Much better software.

You can, and probably rightly have opinions against Facebook, but so far pimax has lied, to my face.
Cost me extra.
Neglects, ignore users that bring well documented issues up.

In all I regret ever backing their Kickstarter.
And for the betterment of vr. Pimax needs to go under.

For me it was almost the opposite.
Colours of the two are ok. It light be easier to get the unrealistic, oversaturated look some people think are good on the pimax.

No matter what I did to physical and software ipd the 5k+ always had me feeling off, or cross-eyed after use.
I could never get it comfortable.
I'm at 64.5mm so for me the S is perfect.
It's the most naturally feeling lenses I have yet to try.

I had to duct tape my gearvr facemask to the pimax to be able to fit any glasses in it. The S has plenty room.

Everytime I was to use it, it was 15-20 minutes of fudging around with the software rebooting it, the PC and restarting various services.
This was when it was working "well".
And a 4 month RMA, through a support system that honestly makes my dealing with HP support seem reasonable.

The S had some USB issues to begin with, all sorted by firmware updates now.
Now it's just fire up and go.

So for 1/3 of the price the s has slightly less fov.
Better lenses.
Better tracking, yeah seriously, I don't know what pimax got wrong, but it ain't right.
Much better software.

You can, and probably rightly have opinions against Facebook, but so far pimax has lied, to my face.
Cost me extra.
Neglects, ignore users that bring well documented issues up.

In all I regret ever backing their Kickstarter.
And for the betterment of vr. Pimax needs to go under.
You probably exaggerate a little bit about "slightly less fov", and my expirience with pitool is "set and forget", except that tracking thing. But i definately agree with you that Rift S is a much better package and bang for a buck. Totally agree about Rift's good lenses and tracking.

Top Bottom