Should I have died?

2/3 shield rings, 100% hull. Got rammed by a DBX. I'm assuming it boosted. I had just boosted as well. I only have 2 class 1 HRP.

Should I have died?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say what ship I was flying. Fer de Lance

In a collision it does not matter how many rings you had. Only the raw Mj
Also a hull tank dbx can be pretty insane, your fer-the-lulz with only 2 size one HRP is not

I would suggest the tank like dbx just punched a hole through both sides of your FdL they never were very strong I'm the bulkhead department.

^ This. The only way to mitigate ram damage is sys pips.

But mainly, surprising as it may seem, the DBX has a 10t heavier base hull than the fer de lance, too, giving it the numerical advantage in any ram scenario.

The dBX canopy was strengthened in the last update, too, so maybe the NPCs feel more inclined to use it as a ramming machine now.

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, assuming average/typical loadouts, the DBX should have died.

The FdL is quite sturdy and even moreso if properly built - so an Exploration Vessel ramming it should be a non-issue.
Trying the same vs. an Orca, Anaconda or Corvette though? No so much, that can hurt. Alot.

Recommend you get some armour on that FdL. Nothing worse than having no back up if something goes wrong and your shields are down. It's rare, but some NPCs have phasing weapons as well. That class 2 HRP isn't giving you much protection.

Recommend you get some armour on that FdL. Nothing worse than having no back up if something goes wrong and your shields are down. It's rare, but some NPCs have phasing weapons as well. That class 2 HRP isn't giving you much protection.

Thanks! I appreciate the help, but I don't really need more HRP. I rarely lose my shields and this ramming thing has never happened before which is why I came here to ask if it was normal. Typically at one ring on my shields I just run off, assuming I have no SCBs left.

Last edited:
Thanks! I appreciate the help, but I don't really need more HRP. I rarely lose my shields and this ramming thing has never happened before which is why I came here to ask if it was normal. Typically at one ring on my shields I just run off, assuming I have no SCBs left.
I was thinking bulkheads, but really the important thing is that you're happy with your ship build, which it sounds like you are. If this is some kind of one in a million outlier and not worth changing anything for then fair enough. Happy hunting out there.

A normal FdL setup with armour has about 800 hull points due to its restricted internals. A DBX can have a hell of a lot more because of its better internal slots for HRPs. FdLs are rubbish in a ram, and if you hit a chunky DBX you will have a nasty surprise.

If you have an undying need to fly into other ships fast and live to tell the tale, try a Clipper or Orca.

On the other hand, an FDL can have pretty decent shielding with a few boosters.

4 pips to sys before impact, and you should be ok unless you’re really low.

Don’t forget those fantastic lateral thrusters, the FDL moves side to side really well.

I was thinking bulkheads, but really the important thing is that you're happy with your ship build, which it sounds like you are. If this is some kind of one in a million outlier and not worth changing anything for then fair enough. Happy hunting out there.

Oh yeah for sure. I was just really caught off guard by the instant death. I've been rammed before but I guess the conditions were just right for it to happen the way it did.

I'll just get out of the way next time!

Hm, assuming average/typical loadouts, the DBX should have died.

The FdL is quite sturdy and even moreso if properly built - so an Exploration Vessel ramming it should be a non-issue.
Trying the same vs. an Orca, Anaconda or Corvette though? No so much, that can hurt. Alot.
Um you left out the beluga

Top Bottom