Silly Sunday idea: steal from EVE and have SLFs as (armed) lifeboats

For reference: https://kotaku.com/eve-online-update-will-give-players-a-second-chance-in-1841840322

Just a quick idea really. Have an independent SLF variant that on mothership destruction allowing you to 'keep alive' and get back to another station and ship.

This would be great for criminals, as although you lose your ship and still have to rebuy, any massive bounty is evaded, with SLFs are weak so you'd have to be careful getting back. It would also be useful for Powerplay with merits, players with data missions, and (possibly) exploration in certain cases. With exploration it would be a way to keep your data 'alive', although you'd have a long way back depending on where you were.

It could be the SLF is unarmed, has a fuel scoop etc and a class 1 FSD. It would only be 'valid' in normal space (so no mid SC saucer separations). I know its Russian Dolls but hey! Its Sunday, and its allowed to be silly.

What would happen when the lifeboat got destroyed?

If the lifeboat got destroyed, then you lose whatever data / merits and go to jail if wanted.

But its an interesting question depending on what happens before- it could go one of two ways:

If you get back to a station without dying, your rebuy could be lower maybe.

Or you pay for rebuy of your ship alone.

never played EVE, but I would LOVE new 'SLF' concepts and uses, such as Trade Shuttles, Mining Shuttles, Transport ships (for big ships that may not be able to land in some areas, allowing you to put an SRV in even the smallest landing areas), Submarines for the eventual atmospheric worlds and as you said, lifeboats!

For reference: https://kotaku.com/eve-online-update-will-give-players-a-second-chance-in-1841840322

Just a quick idea really. Have an independent SLF variant that on mothership destruction allowing you to 'keep alive' and get back to another station and ship.

This would be great for criminals, as although you lose your ship and still have to rebuy, any massive bounty is evaded, with SLFs are weak so you'd have to be careful getting back. It would also be useful for Powerplay with merits, players with data missions, and (possibly) exploration in certain cases. With exploration it would be a way to keep your data 'alive', although you'd have a long way back depending on where you were.

It could be the SLF is unarmed, has a fuel scoop etc and a class 1 FSD. It would only be 'valid' in normal space (so no mid SC saucer separations). I know its Russian Dolls but hey! Its Sunday, and its allowed to be silly.
Do you play Eve? If so, do you like it?
That concept in EVE is an interesting one... i recall there being a lot of lag on ship death, and seconds matter, so I'll be very interested to see how that rolls out. Historically, when you know you're dying, you spam warp so your pod leaves instantly on spawn... that's all you can do.

I play(ed) EVE and like(d) it. I've been out of the seat for three years or so, but played 10 years before then. It's a totally different game to ED though.

Coincidentally, i thought of this OP briefly last night... would be cool if SLFs had limited jump capability, disabled unless you used an "abandon ship" option, which triggers the self destruct and launches you out in the slf, for exactly the reasons rubbernuke explains. Would be a neat function, as well as other slf- focused activities such as exploring outpost wrecks.

Top Bottom