Powerplay Since we're talking about changing powerplay mechanics ...

Why don't we start out by getting the bugs, inconsistencies and lack of documentation fixed first, and then once that has been done, maybe we can talk about changing the mechanics of powerplay? Who knows - maybe once these things have been fixed, those mechanic changes aren't going to be relevant any more.

There are still multiple powerplay bugs that are completely unresolved, ranging from tiny bugs like the CC numbers in the overview being unable to show more than 4 characters (fixed in beta 1.4) to annoying like being unable to see the fortification and undermining progress in turmoil systems, to absolutely game breaking, like systems with no planets being unable to spawn expansion combat zones (and still being preppable). And that's just the tip of the ice berg.

Then there's the epic mess that is lack of proper documentation. The manual states that a system in turmoil is lost at the end of a cycle, if a power is still in deficit, but we've seen time and time again that this isn't correct. SOME systems are lost, and depending on the result sometimes the power comes out of the deficit with surpluses that are big enough to have afforded everything related to the lost system(s).

And then there are the constant bug reports on how systems were lost unfairly or how a system wasn't expanded into even though everything points towards it should have been expanded into, either because the mechanics are completely obfuscated to the point that we're reduced to guess work (which makes it close to impossible to do actual strategies) or because we're not allowed to see the actual numbers used to run the end of cycle calculations.

Even those of us who were given raw data to do cycle analysis with were given old numbers. I know they were old, because I had to manually change values to make the computed outcomes match the actual outcomes, like which systems hit their triggers. This is stupid and insanely frustrating.

So please, Sandro - if you have developer time left over to change the mechanics, reassign them to fix the bugs and documentation. And if you need help figuring out which parts needs fixing, feel free to ask me. Think of it as a CV/job application, because honestly you need some more people with a thorough understanding of powerplay and how the powerplay mechanics work and interact.

Regards
Martin Schou, AKA CMDR Vectron

Senior Statistician with the Alliance Office of Statistics and spreadsheet maestro at the /r/EliteMahon subreddit.

Why don't we start out by getting the bugs, inconsistencies and lack of documentation fixed first, and then once that has been done, maybe we can talk about changing the mechanics of powerplay? Who knows - maybe once these things have been fixed, those mechanic changes aren't going to be relevant any more.

There are still multiple powerplay bugs that are completely unresolved, ranging from tiny bugs like the CC numbers in the overview being unable to show more than 4 characters (fixed in beta 1.4) to annoying like being unable to see the fortification and undermining progress in turmoil systems, to absolutely game breaking, like systems with no planets being unable to spawn expansion combat zones (and still being preppable). And that's just the tip of the ice berg.

Then there's the epic mess that is lack of proper documentation. The manual states that a system in turmoil is lost at the end of a cycle, if a power is still in deficit, but we've seen time and time again that this isn't correct. SOME systems are lost, and depending on the result sometimes the power comes out of the deficit with surpluses that are big enough to have afforded everything related to the lost system(s).

And then there are the constant bug reports on how systems were lost unfairly or how a system wasn't expanded into even though everything points towards it should have been expanded into, either because the mechanics are completely obfuscated to the point that we're reduced to guess work (which makes it close to impossible to do actual strategies) or because we're not allowed to see the actual numbers used to run the end of cycle calculations.

Even those of us who were given raw data to do cycle analysis with were given old numbers. I know they were old, because I had to manually change values to make the computed outcomes match the actual outcomes, like which systems hit their triggers. This is stupid and insanely frustrating.

So please, Sandro - if you have developer time left over to change the mechanics, reassign them to fix the bugs and documentation. And if you need help figuring out which parts needs fixing, feel free to ask me. Think of it as a CV/job application, because honestly you need some more people with a thorough understanding of powerplay and how the powerplay mechanics work and interact.

Regards
Martin Schou, AKA CMDR Vectron

Senior Statistician with the Alliance Office of Statistics and spreadsheet maestro at the /r/EliteMahon subreddit.

Can we also add - fortification numbers not changing even when a preferred form of government is put in place.

Can we also add - fortification numbers not changing even when a preferred form of government is put in place.

There are quite a lot of them. I just picked three examples of various degrees of impact.

And as for the numbers not changing, that could be a bug and it could be a matter of bad documentation. The manual states that there are two ways of affecting the trigger - the control system government and the exploited systems' governments. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have only seen three different trigger values: 50%, Default, 150%. With two ways of affecting the trigger, there should be five: Double low (low + low). Low (low + default). Default (default+default or low+high). High (high + default). Double high (high + high).

As I said - there is plenty for the developers to work on rather than new mechanics.

Top Bottom