Smuggling Gameplay

I was reading a reddit about Smuggling gameplay needing a bit more skill from regular trading runs and whilst this is true (setting silent running, lining up and charging through the slot whilst not breathing) it might add a bit more fun to have some form of smuggler vision adaptor for Analysis mode which lets you see sight-lines of patrolling ships/station cameras. Assuming you’re on silent running, you duck and weave through these scan beams or work out their ‘patrol path’ to dock undetected with heat still playing a factor in the effectiveness of these search beams. Hitting a trigger starts a scan timer, with lower heat increasing scan time due to the difficulty of tracking the moving cold ship. There could be smuggler engineers who weaken your hull for a reduced heat trade off or a chaff mod which pauses scan time. If a beam is triggered, other beams would converge on the trigger location with the more beams on the ship, the quicker the scan - which could lead to some decoy mechanics - fire off a heated cargo pod to trigger a beam search which forces a gap in the earth beams to zip through.

This extra layer of skill/difficulty to running illicit goods would justify a higher pay for such missions/trade runs and add an interesting new mechanic for smugglers to feel smug about mastering. Also, nimbler ships would have an easier time avoiding the beams but suffer from lesser cargo space so a nicer pay check is warranted. And hey, if you fancy your chances in a T-9 then go for it, perhaps if you’re skilled enough you could even manage it. Different security levels would have more search patterns to avoid, or less predictable beam patterns and different state modifiers would effect the search difficulty - a warring state would be on higher alert than a famine state for instance. All this might help reduce what feels like a bit of a random chance of being scanned or not, particularly on instant fail missions.

I appreciate this might not be possible to create given the current mechanics but the thought popped in my head so I thought I’d share.

Yeah, smuggling definitely needs to be fleshed out more. I'd love to see something that involves a bit more skill that forces you to really work to avoid detection. I'd also like to see steeper penalties for being caught such as having the cargo confiscated when you dock in addition to being sent to a prison ship and having to pay a big fine. To go along with that, the black market should provide much better profits. High risk, high reward!

I also think there needs to be more variety to smuggling missions. The old "Shadow Delivery" missions were a lot of fun, especially when you took on multiple at once and were being chased long-distance to your destinations.

And yes, they really need to fix the black market bug that was introduced in the April patch. It's pointless to do any smuggling right now (outside of missions).

When I was thinking of smuggler equipment, I first thought of scan-shielded cargo racks that take longer to scan. Then I thought that it might be confusing if you have part of your cargo in these kinds of racks and the other part on normal racks and thought it might be better to have a some sort of manifest scanner spoof module. Having an engineer alter your hull or engine signature so that it slows down the scan might be the best idea, though.

I agree entirely about smuggling needing an ground-up overhaul, like mining, so that there's an actual gameplay there.
Just please let's not start with new tools, engineers, special equipment etc. just for smuggling.

There's space for that later but FD should start by creating a more interesting, skill-based smuggling mechanics with all the tools already present: line of sight, heat management, patrols, removing the night-vision 'highlight' from unresolved targets (I know we're talking AIs behaviour here, but still - as a game-wide rule) etc.
They're just not put to good use at the moment.

I think here's what should constitute the basis of smuggling mechanics, before we talk about special modules etc which will only make things more artificial and constrained:

1. patrols expanded across a greater zone around the station
2. 'hiding' within a prominent heat signature of a bigger ship by staying extremely close to it (and cold) during station approach.
3. physically blocking a patrol's line of sight by staying behind another spaceship, making it difficult to make you out.
3. Decoying security patrols with dropped heatsinks, junk, perhaps a specific smuggler's tool at this point etc (so they come investigate, clearing the path)

I like it all, and agree! I've made some posts in the Suggestions thread in the past that're kinda similar, though not all of it-- but I concur, the game has mechanics that could and should be cool for smuggling that're already in the game, and they just need some dang tweaks.

In the meantime, I'd love if if they put some smuggling related content that they removed from the game back in: long and medium range smuggling missions (both around the bubble, and outskirts-to-the-bubble) and illegal courier missions, and make all smuggling missions once again "fail on scan" instead of just a fine.

While smuggling definitely needs an overhaul similar to mining and exploration, putting those missions back in the game (missions that already had enemy AI all programmed and whatnot) would at least give players decent smuggling gameplay to do while we wait for the (hopefully) eventual overhaul. And, of course, don't continue to make it pay less than LEGAL cargo hauling, which makes absolutely no sense.

Another "quick fix" for now could be to add a bonus to smuggling missions with a planetary base as the destination; there's no mailslot to rush through to avoid scans, you're out in the open the entire time and dealing with a planet's varying gravity, it's just inherently more challenging.

In the long run, I really hope high level smuggling is much much more difficult (being chased by security and pirate ships with enhanced thrusters for example, aggressive scanning attempts, blockades waiting for you at destination stations for you to manage to deal with, etc), and I hope something is coming eventually. There's just so much they can do with smuggling in Elite, it fits the world of the game perfectly, and they got so many of the pieces to use as is.

I was reading a reddit about Smuggling gameplay needing a bit more skill from regular trading runs and whilst this is true (setting silent running, lining up and charging through the slot whilst not breathing) it might add a bit more fun to have some form of smuggler vision adaptor for Analysis mode which lets you see sight-lines of patrolling ships/station cameras.

Mission smuggling is very lucrative at the moment (weapons/nerve agents) in a large 700+ tonne freighter you can make a huge amount of credits, been like that for quite some time. The problem is no skill is required.

A few years back, the procedure was to shutdown non essential modules while super cruising in, drop outside the station with your ship running cool, visually scan the patrol and wait for a gap, then head in at max speed with SR engaged or the ship iced up. If you had a very fast ship you could boost through the slot running hot and hope you don't get scanned. Tense, and a lot of fun.

The current method is to cycle SR on and off if you hear scan detected, this causes the authority ship to lose lock... Literally all you have to do, you will never be scanned. Seems broken to me.

Last edited:
or just deploy hardpoints for a microsecond then put them back... no skill at all. plus, most of the time you're smuggling into a station you have allied status with so rarely get scanned anyway.

or just deploy hardpoints for a microsecond then put them back... no skill at all. plus, most of the time you're smuggling into a station you have allied status with so rarely get scanned anyway.

Didn't they patch that bug? We used the hardpoint bug back in the Robigo days. Could have sworn they patched it out.

Agreed, smuggling needs a major overhaul. Just adding the missions and fixing the black market rates would be a good start.

Some sort of Super Cruise silent running feature would be good too to avoid patrols or unfriendly Cmdrs. Maybe operates at 70% or something.

Top Bottom