So long Odyssey

The announcement that there were no plans to implement VR in Odyssey was the last straw. It's time for a refund.

VR was THE REASON I started to play Elite. I bought it as a VR title and while I knew Odyssey wasn't going to have VR implemented at launch, I fully expected that it was coming since ELITE IS A VR GAME!!

FDEV...I just don't understand you. How could you take one of the leading and most expansive VR games on the market and just drive it into the ground?

I may come back to Horizons at a future date but right now I'm so discouraged with virtually everything around the Odyssey DLC that I just can't find the motivation to even login any more. It's all meh to me now.

Same here, haven't touched ED since the announcement... I simply can't play anymore now I know it is coming to a dead end when EDO merges with Horizons at console launch. If they can, at least, fix the performance issues I would give it another shot. But only because there is nothing else in the market...(I played No Mans Sky also but its a completely different game). Its so dissapointing...

The announcement that there were no plans to implement VR in Odyssey was the last straw. It's time for a refund.

VR was THE REASON I started to play Elite. I bought it as a VR title and while I knew Odyssey wasn't going to have VR implemented at launch, I fully expected that it was coming since ELITE IS A VR GAME!!

FDEV...I just don't understand you. How could you take one of the leading and most expansive VR games on the market and just drive it into the ground?

I may come back to Horizons at a future date but right now I'm so discouraged with virtually everything around the Odyssey DLC that I just can't find the motivation to even login any more. It's all meh to me now.

Let us know what you decide to play instead - I'm always looking for good VR titles.

Let us know what you decide to play instead - I'm always looking for good VR titles.
Much like the OP I can't stomach Odyssey right now. I have a relatively powerful PC (5950x / 6900 XT / HP Reverb G2) and since Odyssey the performance hit just spoils the experience for me. Since I got my G2 I literally had not played any other VR game until now. So to fill the gap, I fired up Star Wars Squadrons... yes, it's a completely different game and not anything like as "sim" as Elite was, but boy is it cool to sit in an X-Wing in VR and relive my good old days of playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter from back in the day - but this time in glorious VR. So if Star Wars is your bag, give Squadrons a shot - you may be pleasantly surprised like I me.

In any case I'll pop back to Odyssey as the patches come out, in the hope that those good old days will be back :).

The reply I received from Frontier support was a refusal to refund my purchase due to the fact I purchased on May 19th.

Well...I waited in good faith to see the fixes implemented and had NO IDEA that they were essentially cancelling VR support. I've barely even played any of the Odyssey specific content.

I've made a second request for a refund and even instructed them that they could close my entire account. Besides the original purchase, I'm also an Arx purchaser and several of my arx purchases are either not present (pilot suits) or don't function properly (like my Crypsis Pink paint for my Crusader).

I'm more than thoroughly disgusted that getting a refund is requiring more than one request under the circumstances. Elite can rot at this point as far as I am concerned. I'm done with it for good.

Last edited:
If you Guys are looking for a great VR Space game. you should try Out Evochron Legacy it's really good in VR and supports HOTAS controllers and Is Testing VR controllers to fly the ship. Here's a link. check it out, it's all I play Now. Steam Version Evochron or from the Web Site. It even has a demo for free.
I'm waiting for Starfield, Bethesda's space sim due for release in November 2022 - Here's some info: https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-release-date-trailer-2022/

Don't know if it has VR support but the trailer and concept art look really cool and Bethesda has a AAA game record and will I think do a great job (having no doubt learnt lessons the hard way after the Fallout 4).

I went back and forth with Frontier for 10 days about a refund. They wouldn't budge.
One takeaway from the conversation was that, while fDev did say "at launch" at first and then "no plans" later on and that doesn't constitute a change in language and thus, a change in meaning; we should not believe what they say and we can't trust what they say to actually reflect feature plans.
Oh, but we should still trust them when they say they will fix the bugs and performance.

So there's that.

Anyway, I've opened a dispute on the charge with my credit card company based on the product delivered differing from what was advertised at the time of sale (back in Dec 2020) and that it has major problems so it doesn't work right (crashing and performance too low to play in VR as I did before)
So that could take up to 90 days to resolve but we'll see!

I do hope some day that they put VR into Odyssey, at which time I'll happily re-purchase it. Until then I will play horizons.

Top Bottom