So the current CG's: Is it a sly poll by FD?

Interesting theory. I've so far been taking part in the Maia CG, but only because I happened to be there anyway. It was only when someone messaged me to ask if the CG was the reason I was over there that I realised there was one going on! I'd actually brought my Cutter over for some engineering, so that was quite convenient. I'll probably head over and join in the other CG before it finishes.

However the Pleiades one nets 2 mil per run in my Cutter, the bubble one does not.

I have done a bit in an Anaconda and its only about 700k profit, which compared to the last CG is not great. I noticed last night on PS4 the Maia/Merope systems were not as busy as past CGs lots less CMDRs in Open there.

I'm getting around 1m with my Cutter, though I've only got 656t as I've kept the fighter bay (keep getting interdicted). This is ferrying resonating separators from Merope.

How are you making 2m, Numa? Are you running resonating separators?

EDIT: Unless you are counting both directions of the run (I'm only counting one :) )?

Looks like the CGs unlock the types of Economies that the new ideas will be available at

So tier one has unlocked surface military economies
Tier two added surface high tech

Haven't yet been in-game to see what's going on in these CGs but I'm going to be participating in both, just to help ensure we get ALL the cool toys.

Think about this for a second.

FD is designing new content that makes our current weapons and ship loadouts obsolete. We have no choice but to use the new weapons and they will need to balance the content based on what we have available to us.

Every single time something has been overpowered it has been eventually nerfed (usually to the point of uselessness) and usually FD misses the mark by a wide margin when anything new is introduced. This is true both for game content as well as overpowered weapons or ships. NPCs were originally buffed to be challenging with 2.1 but turned out to be far too powerful against most trading ships, then they were gradually nerfed into the ground during the remainder of the Horizons content. It was the same with Engineering, the grind as originally implemented was very tedious but has been made dramatically easier over time to the point that it really isn't particularly challenging to unlock Engineers or create mods.

What makes you think it will be any different with Thargoid content, regardless of what the CG results give us?

I can tell you exactly what will happen right now. The Thargoid ships will be massively OP at first, then nerfed into the ground over the next 2-3 months. The weapons will be dramatically underpowered and inefficient at first, and although motivated players will probably develop some effective combinations these will be quickly nerfed into uselessness by being "overused" based on FD's "metrics". That won't actually matter however once the Thargoid ships are sufficiently nerfed so that they are no more challenging than our current lobotomized NPCs once players complain that they "can't win" when they try to solo a Thargoid ship with their stock Cobra Mk III. Plus the entire 2.4 patch will be ridiculously buggy and unstable at launch, making actual balancing of the gameplay nearly impossible during the first month or so as all the game-breaking bugs are either slowly fixed or completely ignored for another 6 months when they will be placed "on the list" to be fixed with the next patch.

Did I miss anything? Oh, right, we'll be sure to get a new selection of overpriced DLC (some random selection of new colors/nameplates/ship kits) which will appear immediately in the store and will apparently take priority over actual game development.

None of this will be changed in any way by the results of the CG, which will probably reach a low tier due to low credit rewards offered and due to the CGs being yet another repetitive grind with no meaningful storyline content attached.

Last edited:
The only thing interesting about this CG is the request for Alien Relics in the production of anti-Thargoid weapon tech, everything else is mining for tedium.

I'm role playing not shooting at Thargoids so I'm not doing the CG. ;)

In my role play I'm an independent pilot, but since only the Feds stand up against these bugs, I'm planning to pledge for the Feds. :)

Oh, and have a rep for this:
Mwe7kxz.jpg

I'm getting around 1m with my Cutter, though I've only got 656t as I've kept the fighter bay (keep getting interdicted). This is ferrying resonating separators from Merope.

How are you making 2m, Numa? Are you running resonating separators?

EDIT: Unless you are counting both directions of the run (I'm only counting one :) )?

Yep, counting both ways as full run. Stable 1644 cr/t for the separators and stable ~1100 cr/t for slaves. Additional profit through the occasional mission from Maia to Merope and cashing in the bounties of the NPCs that interdict me.

Just remember, for a CG to be classed as a 100% succes these days, it just needs to pass tier one

So its entirely possible we'll get both.

FDev has said that these CGs are to determine the availability of the modules, not whether they will be available. So if no-one supported the goals, they would only be available in one or two locations. As I understand it, both modules will become available shortly after 2.4 is released. And there will be more to follow.

These CGs allow non-Horizons players to participate by including some ordinary commodities. Folk who simply want to grind their way to the top (and if that floats your boat, why not?) will presumably be concentrating on those commodities, as they're much easier to source.

These weapons, and working in wings, will be vital to counter the threat of peaceful Thargoid ships going about their business that unaccountably get angry and fight back when attacked.

It's been a time since I participated towards a CG. The appeal for rum in Harma was the only one I took part in the past year I think - and only becouse I did powerplay for Archon then (oh and now again). For me CG gameplay did wear thin pretty fast - after the first dozen at least - and I gave up on hauling as soon as I was adept enough to do different things.

I hope this will not be the only way how to "participate" with the alien storyline: one old CG after another...

I hope with 1.4 there will be new mechanics and ingame interactions that let us experience how the storyline unfoldes and to interact with the game, other then old community goals.

I also hope we will not be punished with crippeled game-mechanics if the CGs will not be met with all that fresh enthusiasm, we once might have had (like back then with Palin - and now we have only class 2 racks...).

Of course I'd be happy if both CGs will hit the last tier and we'll get all that stuff available at many locations. Alas I think I'll equip some cargo-racks and go do some hauling - becouse, what else can I do to progress the story????

Maybe just maybe, Frontier will have a surprise for us and give the final of this CG something more special then a 120 word article in galnet. I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Also is this confirmed that the result of the CGs will determine to how many kind of different economies (hightech, industrial, refinery, ...) the new moduls will be available? I have not read any details how the distribution of the new moduls will be handled. Will this also concern the possibilty to restock? If yes.. tier 5 for weapons would be very mandatory for any combat pilots!

Also it is about time that breaking news would become presented a bit flashier and more noticable (like played on the viedo-walls in the statios maybe?) - so also players who dont read the forums, watch the livestrams and don't bother to dig through all the meaningless gal-net statistics and the equally meaningless generic reports of previous CGs to find some news, so they can follow the cornerstones of the unfolding story too.

Last edited:
If that is what FD is doing for the new anti-Thargoid modules in 2.4 then they have learned nothing about improving the game content.

The last thing we need in this game is a repetitive, boring CG simply to "gate" another type of grind for modules that we will apparently all need access to in order to use the new Thargoid content in 2.4. It's just such a bad idea I assume FD will reverse course when they realize that they will have to balance the content properly from the outset if the CG doesn't progress very far.

I have zero intention of participating in a CG that isn't sufficiently rewarding, and grinding a CG just to have access to new content is not sufficiently rewarding unless it happens to have a high credit-tier reward attached. I've already done the credit grind, the rank grind and the Engineering grind and I'm not doing a "Thargoid CG" grind just because FD can't be bothered to produce actual storyline content for 2.4.

Apparently FD still thinks that they can substitute more "grind" in place of actual content and the playerbase is going to keep playing it indefiniately. I'm sorry but if they aren't working on meaningful new content that is worth playing on its own and have to fall back on boring CG grinds then all the hopes I had for 2.4 are likely to turn out to be a major disappointment.

Well said, and I could not agree more.

None of this will be changed in any way by the results of the CG, which will probably reach a low tier due to low credit rewards offered and due to the CGs being yet another repetitive grind with no meaningful storyline content attached.

Its probably done in a way to attract players to go see the Thargoid base sites (which I would encourage), the thing is though the CG encourages "Derek the dipstick space trucker and his mate Bas" to just shift commodities from A to B endlessly. I don't mind that sort of thing being in game and players that want to engage do so but anyone else is penalised by giving out rewards suited to startup players. I don't know why Frontier does this, they release awesome content in the form of Thargoid base sites and then pee all over it with shallow and unrewarding gameplay goals it just baffles the mind sometimes its as if the game is encouraging you to grind for goodness sake.

Last edited:
At one CG we have the option of gaining new missiles at the other sensors/scanners.
Are FD using this as means to gauge whether players want to shoot Thargoids or have a more peaceful interaction?

Just the thought struck me so thought I'd ask.

Also will the level of completion affect the quality of the modules? Like when there was a CG (IIRC) to get Palin to have corrosion resistant racks.
This was poorly supported so we only got CR racks to size 2.

Somebody put me right if this is just the ramblings of a tired mind...

Its the ramblings of a tired mind. :) you dont poll interest in combat with trucker CGs. This is just a CG with actual cobsequences. These often go poorly...

Its the ramblings of a tired mind. :) you dont poll interest in combat with trucker CGs. This is just a CG with actual cobsequences. These often go poorly...

Actually they used trucker CGs for some of the new (at the time) class 3/4 lasers. So yeah they actually did; what they probably learned is that if players aren't really very well informed, they tend to be a little, uh, communicative in return post CG. I'm hoping this is more just two different ways to support some upcoming content, whereby it's feeding a story, more than actual outcomes.

I'm (reasonably) sure we'd not see a repeat.

Top Bottom