So VR is only a niche uh?

Because some people have imagination, some others not so much.
But I don't write VR off, I'm absolutely sure that's the future and thus I don't agree with the topic (just in case, some people seem to have misunderstood my former statement).
People without imagination are also the future. They are already in the majority with their number still growing, thanks to the unavoidable side effect of being washed over 24/7 by multimedia content and heavy advertising round the clock.
Maybe later but in its current form a total No Go to me: clumsy, expensive and too many downsides like being blind for my other periphery.
In cause you have any doubts, I know what I'm talking about: My sun develops for VR and I've always excess to VR - if I only wanted.

Sounds like a failure on your part to adapt. No way is VR clumsy, that's just ridiculous.

It’s a very simple question with two possible answers.

I still fail to see the relevance.

However, having read this...

And once again, people just can't admit that VR is here to stay. It's even driving GPU development as well as other hardware. I just don't understand why some of you people want to write off VR.

...I can only assume that we actually agree on the future of VR. If you believe VR isn't currently a niche product then we disagree on that matter, but in the future (and as mentioned in my previous post, thanks in no small part to other industries use of VR) I fully expect it to be huge and the sooner the better.

I expect for the future VR to be as normal as having a gamepad or some gaming device. It will never be the only way of playing games but a device to improve the overall experience. Average cost will be between 100 and 200 euros and every medium hardware (cpu and gpu) will be able to handle it.

VR is currently a niche - if one considers the number of VR headsets sold in comparison to the number of Consoles / Gaming PC's, but it is getting less so.
With Microsoft not appearing to put any of its resources behind VR (none on any current Xbox version!) - although a rumour was put about involving the Rift S recently - uptake has not been hastened as may have been expected had it been otherwise.

In response to the OP - I play both in VR and 4K pancake, however I wish at the time, no issues with either :)

Suggestions that the next generation of Playstation may also introduce a revamped VR HMD and that Xbox? may support PC HMD's could be all that is required to change the current niche status - that and the price of HMD/GPU's coming down to be more affordable!

I just have to break my habits every once in a while!
ooops wrong direction...

Yes, that's the future - and I'm not sure whether I'll like it. Guess not. On the long run it will cripple our imagination to Apfelmus
strange, I wanted to use a translation for the German word 'Imaginationskraft', but couldn't find anything viable. own force of imagination comes closest perhaps. but sounds horrible

Apfelmus is still made of apples, besides a lot of sugar. Might not be healthy, but sweet. I'll take it, especially if it is virtual and in some way related to space and appropriate transportation devices. I wonder how a translator app would handle Weltraumtransportgerät...

Apfelmus is still made of apples, besides a lot of sugar. Might not be healthy, but sweet. I'll take it, especially if it is virtual and in some way related to space and appropriate transportation devices. I wonder how a translator app would handle Weltraumtransportgerät...
Pretty good actually :)

the number went up by 1 yesterday.. i finally caved and bought it (GMG sale) thanks to the promise of the vr patch. i was never going to buy it without vr so that is 1 sale made due to it... and there has to be many more.

I really like to hear an opinion on that game in VR :)

Once upon a time... home computing was a niche... car ownership was a niche... home ownership was a niche... etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum... :)

Well, as things are going, homeownership will be a niche too soon 😭

But I get your point. By 1999 it was snobbish to have a cellphone, by 2010 everyone had one. In 2008 smartphones with touchscreens were just Apple's eye-candy phones, now even people in developing nations have some.

The crucial factor will be price, VR had the huge stone of crypto mining that had kept the prices of video cards up too long (I heard someone argue that affected game consoles development in a lesser degree). If the price of GPUs can go down along with the headsets, VR could become mainstream in 10 years. In general, people really like it as long as they don't get headaches or motion sickness.

But I get your point. By 1999 it was snobbish to have a cellphone, by 2010 everyone had one. In 2008 smartphones with touchscreens were just Apple's eye-candy phones, now even people in developing nations have some.

Yeah this is the point. Technologies that ultimately make it can take a long time to bed in.

I've never been able to source this apparent Forbes chart, but it paints the picture.

DiffusionRatesCommunicationTechnologies.jpg

And other pictures are available ;)

On Measuring Technology Diffusion Rates

Regardless, no matter how you cut it, the more modern and the less regulated the technologies, the quicker they get to market. Here’s a couple of my recent charts illustrating that fact. The first shows how long it took before various technologies reached 50% household penetration. The second illustrates the extent of household diffusion over time.

2199183611_9becfbdbff.jpg

2199183615_c2a8acbaff.jpg

We're definitely more in the '99 niche of the mobile metaphor right now. But given the points in favour (the wow effect, the growth despite the downsides, the software design adaptations to nausea issues, the big money backers etc etc), I could totally see proliferation of cheaper variants happening, parallel refinement of the high end kit, and an ultimate 'iPhone moment' if they hit utility + accessibility down the line. (Wireless AR/VR glasses, or comparable). The signs are pretty decent at the moment :)

Last edited:
Well, as things are going, homeownership will be a niche too soon 😭

The crucial factor will be price, VR had the huge stone of crypto mining that had kept the prices of video cards up too long (I heard someone argue that affected game consoles development in a lesser degree). If the price of GPUs can go down along with the headsets, VR could become mainstream in 10 years. In general, people really like it as long as they don't get headaches or motion sickness.
It wont help us today, because it is not going to be running the likes of elite dangerous on it.......... however apparently oculus are currently really struggling to meet the demand of the quest....They just cant make them fast enough. Its £/$400 and offers full 6DOF VR and is the 1st of its kind to really offer a complete vr experience in that price point.

5 years from now i expect a similar device WILL be running software equivalent to elite dangerous however (so quest 2 or quest 3). It it amazing how time flies however, it was 5 years ago since i got my 1st oculus rift (i missed out on the KSer due to not being in a good place moneywise then - which hindsite a major mistake, KSers got treated very well but i digress)

This is a double edged sword. On 1 hand I desperately want VR to succeed this time, i do not want it to go the way of 3DTV or the way of the last big VR generation (virtuality and the like) and it is products like the Quest which will ensure this does not happen. OTOH I am a PC gamer, and i want the best eyecandy I can get, and am happy to invest significantly in to what is my only expensive hobby (videogames) therefore I dont really want PCVR to die off with all efforts going to mobile. Even if in 5 years a quest 3 is equivalent to a gtx 1080PC of today........ a modern gaming pc will still be an order of magnitude better.

My hope is even if PCVR is only 20% as successful as mobile VR it is still strong enough to be viable. Time will tell.

It wont help us today, because it is not going to be running the likes of elite dangerous on it.......... however apparently oculus are currently really struggling to meet the demand of the quest....They just cant make them fast enough. Its £/$400 and offers full 6DOF VR and is the 1st of its kind to really offer a complete vr experience in that price point.

5 years from now i expect a similar device WILL be running software equivalent to elite dangerous however (so quest 2 or quest 3). It it amazing how time flies however, it was 5 years ago since i got my 1st oculus rift (i missed out on the KSer due to not being in a good place moneywise then - which hindsite a major mistake, KSers got treated very well but i digress)

This is a double edged sword. On 1 hand I desperately want VR to succeed this time, i do not want it to go the way of 3DTV or the way of the last big VR generation (virtuality and the like) and it is products like the Quest which will ensure this does not happen. OTOH I am a PC gamer, and i want the best eyecandy I can get, and am happy to invest significantly in to what is my only expensive hobby (videogames) therefore I dont really want PCVR to die off with all efforts going to mobile. Even if in 5 years a quest 3 is equivalent to a gtx 1080PC of today........ a modern gaming pc will still be an order of magnitude better.

My hope is even if PCVR is only 20% as successful as mobile VR it is still strong enough to be viable. Time will tell.

Yeah the stand-alone kits like Quest make a ton of sense in terms of broadening the base. They're the models that are going to get VR into the most hands possible and potentially get a bigger ball rolling.

Just got to cross our fingers that high end PCVR can sustain on the software front. I'm sure there'll always be Pimax style kit produced, and players like Oc/Vive still look likely to keep iterating. It's more a question of the ecosystem. Will devs & the sugar-daddies keep trying to push out high-end experiences, despite the smaller base?

My suspicion is we'll bumble on for the next few years, but through a mixture of ports, passion projects like NMS, & periodic funded exclusives etc thanks to FB / Valve. Think the most interesting angle for now will be 2020 console VR. Will they push on? Will exclusives silo off the content, or will devs be able to build for all platforms, and so take on AA+ products in greater numbers?

Console VR feels like it could sit at a happy-ish nexus between high end & accessible for the next few years. Could see the broader gamer market adopting it more, if the games are there, and the price not totally insane.

So regarding platform exclusives... This may just be publicity and may come to nothing but..............
I think few would argue on the PC side oculus have funded some of the highest quality VR titles to date...... OTOH there are some pretty well regarded PSVR exclusives as well.

Oculus have stated they are interested in meeting with Sony and coming to an arrangement to develop sony excluisve VR titles for the oculus store, and in turn allowing FB funded oculus exclusves to go to the PS store.

this could be a win win scenario for all involved. Like i said, may come to nothing but what an amazing move if it did come true!.

So regarding platform exclusives... This may just be publicity and may come to nothing but..............
I think few would argue on the PC side oculus have funded some of the highest quality VR titles to date...... OTOH there are some pretty well regarded PSVR exclusives as well.

Oculus have stated they are interested in meeting with Sony and coming to an arrangement to develop sony excluisve VR titles for the oculus store, and in turn allowing FB funded oculus exclusves to go to the PS store.

this could be a win win scenario for all involved. Like i said, may come to nothing but what an amazing move if it did come true!.

Yeah, it'd make strategic sense for the health of the industry (more high end content, greater online numbers via crossplay etc), but I think the odds of it actually happening on a meaningful level are kinda slim. All it takes is for Microsoft to enter the console VR space and Sony will probably go right back behind the parapet (understandably).

Plus for every nod towards collaboration & crossplay, there's one in the other direction, IE stuff like the Assassin's Creed / Splinter Cell Oculus exclusives rumour. Especially when you consider that Ubi have been more crossplay than anyone regarding stuff like Star Trek Bridge Crew.

regarding the ubisoft oculus exclusives.... i am just hoping they mean store exclusives............ if so hopefully everyone else will still be able to use them. this will hopefully get technically even easier soon now that openXR is actually (just) out of beta.

we will know more over the coming 12 months i think.,

the likes of astrobot, Resident Evil, Wipeout and Driveclub on the oculus store interests the hell out of me.
in turn am sure Lone Echo, Defector, Stormlands, technolust would equally interest PSVR gamers.

I really hope it does happen but like you, i am not convinced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom