Community Event / Creation So, who actually listens to audio plays?

Do you actually listen to audio plays?

• daily

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • more than once a week

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • at least once a month

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • once every few months

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • never

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters
I really enjoyed "Think the Unthinkable". I've only caught a couple of episodes but "Cabin Pressure" is also very good.

As a huge audio drama fanatic I am pretty impressed by the numbers of people here who do listen to them. The result of the poll is much more encouraging than I would have suspected.

Ahh the excellent Earthsearcvh by James Follet.

Earthsearch I then II then Earthsearch Mindwarp. :)

I need to seek out this 7th Dimension.

Most of the radio plays I listen to are from the 40s,50s.
I really love Dimension X and also the incredibly scary "Lights Out".

Well the Earthsearch Mindwarp audio serial was produced by Big Finish, I believe.

And, starting on Friday at 6pm they are re-running the excellent "Architects of History", which is a 7th Doctor story about what happens when The Doctor accidentally lets a **** scientist (really? the forum is censoring the use of that word? *sigh* fine "a ww2 german military personage"... jeez, when did we start censoring historical facts?) run off with the Tardis. It is one of the best stories Big Finish have ever produced. On iPlayer, you can catch some of the episodes that lead up to it, but Architects is the best.

Big Finish did some of the Blake's 7 audio dramas (along with the BBC). Well worth a listen, they are.

As a huge audio drama fanatic I am pretty impressed by the numbers of people here who do listen to them. The result of the poll is much more encouraging than I would have suspected.

Well the Earthsearch Mindwarp audio serial was produced by Big Finish, I believe.

And, starting on Friday at 6pm they are re-running the excellent "Architects of History", which is a 7th Doctor story about what happens when The Doctor accidentally lets a **** scientist (really? the forum is censoring the use of that word? *sigh* fine "a ww2 german military personage"... jeez, when did we start censoring historical facts?) run off with the Tardis. It is one of the best stories Big Finish have ever produced. On iPlayer, you can catch some of the episodes that lead up to it, but Architects is the best.

I have a lot of big finish titles but found that a great deal were poorly written and the stories were very average so I stopped the "main range". They have some excellent ones though like Jago and Litefoot. As for 7th Doctor stories those are some I steer away from completely but I will have a look at the one you suggested. I also steer away from anything written by Nicholas Briggs if I can I don't find him to be a good writer I'm afraid, no disrespect to him as he is excellent in the other things he does, just not a fan of his writing. :)

Big Finish did some of the Blake's 7 audio dramas (along with the BBC). Well worth a listen, they are.

There were originally two BBC ones, The Sevenfold Crown and the Syndeton Experiment but there were some very early ones that are excellent. Logic of Empire, Mark of Kane and the Travis doco, Travis the Final Act. They were by Magic Bullet productions...an outstanding company with their amazing Kaldor City series.

I have to say the new Big Finish FULL CAST audio Warship is absolutely AMAZING. I listened to it 4 times the day I got it.

The other "reimagining" of B7 were "ok" well the first 3 were but I did not like the others especially when Gan met Villa as it contradicted established continuity in it's own reimagined universe <facepalm>.

I also bought the liberator chronicles but was a little disappointed with it as I prefer full audio drama rather than a character "talking" to me. Ahh well. Still Warship was amazing.

Wow! Coming back from a short holiday I had no idea this thread would still be running.

Very glad to see some radio drama fans about.

I will have to listen to 'Architects' and 'Warship' in particular. I should have known fellow Elite fans would have the inside track on Sci Fi audio fiction.

I am pretty keen on most audio sci fi unless it's basically 'The Archers' in space.

--
As for me, my short play is taking longer to produce than I'd hope, but that always seems the way.

I have a lot of big finish titles but found that a great deal were poorly written and the stories were very average so I stopped the "main range". They have some excellent ones though like Jago and Litefoot. As for 7th Doctor stories those are some I steer away from completely but I will have a look at the one you suggested. I also steer away from anything written by Nicholas Briggs if I can I don't find him to be a good writer I'm afraid, no disrespect to him as he is excellent in the other things he does, just not a fan of his writing. :)

Some of the first Big Finish Dr Who stories I came across, about a couple of years since they started doing them, were outstanding. I'm thinking Spare Parts, The Chimes of Midnight and Primeval. Sadly although a few came close I never found further stories that had quite the same impact, and far too many mediocre ones. Whilst some of the ones on the site look potentially great it's difficult to decide whether the commitment to time and cash from listening to them will be worthwhile and there's now so many of them. There's also the issue regarding loosing the continuity by jumping into a story series midway

I'm quite enjoying the Escape Velocity story (part 1 so far) by the Lave Radio team :)

Top Bottom