Softshell turtle

Aquatic habitat turtles are still missing in the game. For me, Yangtze giant softshell turtle Rafetus swinhoei (NOT Asian giant softshell turtle) could be the best choice. I am here to explain the reasons:
  • Yangtze giant softshell turtle is the world's most endangered turtle. Only three living individuals are known, this species is one step away from extinction. Yangtze giant softshell turtle seems has been sentenced to death after the last female in captivity died in April 2019, wild female was discovered in Vietnam on October 22, 2020.

• They are regarded one of the largest extant freshwater turtles. Reaching a maximum confirmed weight of 169 kg, some previous records have weighed up to 250 kg. Their size is comparable to narrow-headed softshell turtles (Chitra spp.), significantly larger than Asian giant softshell turtle (Pelochelys cantorii), alligator snapping turtle and any other freshwater turtles.
    CIOdilAVAAAVgen.jpg
    CZMf_m3XEAEuTDz.jpg

• Yangtze giant softshell turtles are charming and beautiful. They have dappled golden patterns on their massive head and long neck. Their heads are also much larger than narrow-headed softshell turtles and Asian giant softshell turtle.
Ep-LWWsUYAIPhPr2.jpg
扬子-巨人-软壳品牌_Joel-Sartore_National-Geographic-Photo-Ark2.jpg
Oscaria_swinhoei_-_s4annalsmagazine12londuoft_0529.jpg
新建画布5.jpg

• Softshell turtles are super unique: their habit is different from crocodiles, the softshell turtles are benthic sedentary. Yangtze giant softshell turtles spend most of time on the bottom of deep water, unlike the hippos, they are still good swimmer.
    Rafetus-swinhoei-V-6-Aug-18-Dong-Mo-Lake-Kim-Son-commune-Son-Tay-district-Ha-Noi-NT-Thang-R.jpg

• Yangtze giant softshell turtles play an important role in folk religion, traditional Chinese literature and Vietnamese legend.
1280px-Kim_Qui_and_the_Restored_Sword_(Hoan_Kiem)_in_ceramics.jpg
  • Several zoos and temples used to have this species. The last captive animal has been kept for decades till now at the Suzhou Zoo in China. As one of the most aquatic turtles, they are not as active as sea turtles, therefore extremely open space is not necessary.
  • Last but the most important, the conservation of Yangtze giant softshell turtles requires more public attention and support. The last two known wild individuals and several potential survivors are still remained in Vietnam. We still have the last chance to save them from extinction’s eternal grasp.

Last edited:
I would love a turtle species in planet zoo. Giant freshwater turtles are the best option for habitat animals. My top 5 turtle's wishlist i would like to see are:

1. Alligator snapping turtle
2. Mata mata turtle
3. Arrau river turtle
4. Yangtze giant softshell turtle
5. Green sea turtle

Honorable mention: Argentine snake-necked turtle

Top Bottom