Space not black in the Rift.

Hey, just got my DK2 today but I have the issue that space is not black but grey/greenish looking smear, like the gamma is set way to high.
I use a GTX 970, the latest non beta driver, latest Oculus runtime, I use extended mode (direct mode actually doesn`t work at all with this runtime), 75 fps, and I have set the HDMI RGB range to full, just to rule that out.
Does anybody know how to fix this ?

It technically should be pretty black, that's one of the things I enjoy in the rift is how relaxing it can be to just look out and admire, anyway, bugs, ok.

Often time when I experience issues with the rift, I quit the game, open the Oculus config utility (actually just always keep the window open) and go into Tools>Service>Restart
Usually fixes whatever issue I have, and usually do it also before every gaming session "just in case".
Once out of every ten times though, it seems to crash the service itself and to restart it I have to log out and back into windows to get it back working, but that's rarer and usually only if I restart the service and try to re-restart it without having done anything with the rift since.

hope this helps you find a solution and welcome to the grander world of Elite within Oculus

Thanks, lowering the gamma did help with empty space but it still looks weird around light sources, spoils the buty of the game quite a lot.
I didn`t have that effect in Titans of Space, so it has to be related to Elite.

Edit: I set the brightness in the Nvidia settings to 55% and that fixed the smearing and strange edges.
The black is now not as deep as it could be with that oled screen but it looks ok.

Edit2: Found an even better fix.
I just set the green brightness to 47% and did not touch red and blue.
Now space is pitch black like it should be with oled and no green smear anymore.
Maybe this will help some people getting a better experience.
The little I have seen until now is spectacular.

Last edited:
What you are seeing is that the screen pixels, the green pixels "power on" at a different speed then the red and blue so the lag of them turning on creates that smear.

because each color is 256 values, so <0,0,0> is black and the pixels are off just as <255,255,255> is white

Low persistence mode allows it to go as low as <3,5,3> which is such a dark grey that the human eye will likely never notice that it is pure black (since the cockpit will still be lit up), however, because these are the lowest value for each color <R,G,B> that the green does not lag behind when powering on, because they are all on, and never power off and therefore will not smear when moving.

For the consumer version of the rift the screen they are supposed to have designed will not have this problem.

Thanks for the in depth explanation.
Is my green brightness "hack" disabling low persistance then ?
Did not notice when I did a quick check.

The way it is sounding, yeah it adjusts it so the pixels are always on.. it is a hack.. the low persistence mode is like a hard limit where it goes down to the <3,5,3> value and wont go any lower.. you might get a few times where it might, but if it works and your not getting the smear, then not going to complain :p

Also just to be sure, do you have the External power plugged into the Rift? Without it I found I had terrible banding that disappeared when I plugged in the External Power.

Jep , everything works lovely now with the reduced green brightness, besides direct mode completely broken (known issue at oculus forum) but I can manage with extended desktop and display fusion.
I have to say , the Rift is the coolest thing I have ever experienced and I think this is the future , at least for me.
Don't know what to do with all that non vr games now lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom