Horizons SRV skimmer AI question.

Hi

is it by design that when i attack a "wanted" skimmer guarding a stash on a planet, that the other skimmers just sit and watch me, allowing me to pick them off easily 1 by one?

the clean ones guarding a legitimate site seem to react differently and will often all attack me if i blow up one of them.

thanks

Yeah I think my first reaction to this was "heh heh this will be nice and easy"...but then you kind of feel like you have cheated and it doesn't seem very plausible. I think they should all engage if one is attacked.

I don't know if it has been recognised as a 'bug', but I definitely consider it to be one. There are three things (that I can think of right now) that will aggro a Skimmer in a POI:

1. They already dislike you (you've just become wanted from attacking a nearby settlement and now you're approaching Skimmers of the same faction);
  2. You shoot one. Sometimes you have to hit them more than once. That individual Skimmer will aggro.
  3. You stay too long inside the "trespass zone". All Skimmers will aggro.
If you stay just outside the trespass zone, you can happily pick them off one at a time without fear of them all getting upset. Not really logical and hopefull not "intended design".

They do eventually shoot back.... but their aggression trigger time is daftly drawn out.

They'll start passive, you shoot one and the other then kind of linger trying to figure out how much trouble they're in. Then their lights will switch to red and they'll still linger doing nothing. Then their aggression state triggers.

In that time you can normally kill 4-5 skimmers.

Last edited:
An interesting point I found. Sometimes you can reach POI with "wanted" skimmer already in the air. At this point they are VERY dangerous.
So I put slow to react down to AI being half asleep, i.e. wake up, get shot and before they can shoot back or report dead.

I always shoot skimmers outside protection zone they are guarding.

It may be because crash site intruder zones are pretty small, so you don't have to enter them to trigger the alarm to shoot the skimmers. But at settlements you do have to enter.

Back
Top Bottom