‘Star Citizen’ Dev on VR Support: “I have no doubt we will get there”

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
It seems that VR locomotion might pose an obstacle to overcome for SC too:
There are of course challenges ahead. Silvan says that while implementing VR into the game engine itself “isn’t a big deal,” that making it actually playable is actually the true task at hand.

“I’m mostly concerned about tieing [sic] it into our animation system and what locomotion we can offer. Nobody wants to have teleporting players in the verse right?”

Now we're entering the new era of hi-res VR (HP reverb and Reverb G2), now we can 'see' the image with near screen quality. In next years more headsets will have 2160p or even higher, surely with higher FOV, we're one step close to virtual worlds, new GPU's are incoming and global pandemia showed us its imporant to develop virtual world for virtual entertainment and communication.

What FDev is doing? Killing VR in a game called 'VR system seller'. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Seems legit - no VR - no problem with development.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

'Star Citizen' boss on VR support: "Arriving in 2016"

I also doubt the relevance of SC at this point. Comparing No man's sky, Star Citizen and Elite, we have three completely different stories.

At launch, Elite has VR almost from the start albeit with heavy doubts about it from the dev team. The basic features are done with an acceptable amount of problems but it is done and works. It slowly gets more features that some people liked and others don't but the VR stays. Due to delayed releases, the userbase remains highly critical but no completely abandons the game because the products get released at the end. Progress is slow, constantly delayed but more or less stable. VR is maintained so far and actually becomes a solid sales pitch and a reference about VR games.

NMS launches without any support for VR. Also, it becomes quickly in one of the most decried games ever, ridiculized, and even hated, then in a relatively short time (around 3 years), it gets enough features and updates to rank on praises, accomplishes what is described as engaging gameplay, gets a loyal userbase, a 180º change on reviews and opinions and a robust, if still imperfect, VR support and gameplay that have also gained praise.

But SC... still hasn't even been launched officially as any kind of finished product, accumulates promises upon promises about features for the final release and launch dates that never materialize, including the VR support. And what it has been released so far has been described by newcomers as a broken bug-ridden no-even-an-alpha. Progress has been so slow that only comparable case it is "Duke Nukem Forever" and despite that, it maintains one of the most fanatical userbases on the web.

I think this speaks volumes about CIG if they feel the need to go fishing for a few disillusioned Elite Dangerous players with yet another likely fictional carrot, that will likely never materialise (along with the many already missing features and assets in SQ42/SC). I think the term to describe this approach is "grubby"...or maybe its just desperation...

Top Bottom