Stars beyond the fringes of the galaxy.

I am an astronomer in my side hobby from gaming and I have always been interested in Pulsars. I decided to see if ED had integrated the fastest Pulsar known ( PSR J1748-2446ad ) into their database since it was discovered in 2004. Unfortunately, I had no luck, but inputting PSR into the search has produced some very odd results. Try it yourself in the galactic map. Refreshing will also let you see stars nearby for a fraction of a second before they disappear.
It could be something my end with graphics but you will see that anything labeled PSR is WELL outside the galactic disk and well below it. By a long long way.

Yes, just typing PSR and searching takes you to a cluster of neutron stars outside (far below) the galaxy - I managed to grab a screencap. Didn't someone once make a video of being moved to a system (by the devs) around this location?
359320_20180624132916_2.png

I am an astronomer in my side hobby from gaming and I have always been interested in Pulsars. I decided to see if ED had integrated the fastest Pulsar known ( PSR J1748-2446ad ) into their database since it was discovered in 2004. Unfortunately, I had no luck, but inputting PSR into the search has produced some very odd results. Try it yourself in the galactic map. Refreshing will also let you see stars nearby for a fraction of a second before they disappear.
It could be something my end with graphics but you will see that anything labeled PSR is WELL outside the galactic disk and well below it. By a long long way.

Also if you search for "PSR J1" you should find some that are within the galaxy and that are accessible. There is one with the name that you're looking in the game (though whether it resembles the real one or is in the correct location is another matter): https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/5452479/name/PSR+J1748-2446A

Yes, just typing PSR and searching takes you to a cluster of neutron stars outside (far below) the galaxy - I managed to grab a screencap. Didn't someone once make a video of being moved to a system (by the devs) around this location?

A youtuber did get there with handwadium from the devs about a year ago.

Yep, was a birthday presen IIRC. My letter for Frontier one week before mine is all set :D

They refused mine, jsyk. But there was no beta. I believe they only agreed because it was in a beta, and even then they were not exactly supposed to do it.

And there were at least 2 Commanders, one was Ghost Giraffe (iirc) and a friend; and another Cmdr has been transported to HIP 13044 (same, in beta).

Bit of background info for Tigorath: Frontier have pulled data from a number of catalogues, and converted it to Elite (as best as they could). However, it doesn't look like they curated said data, as at times, systems ended up far beyond the game's galaxy, and in the case of the stars you wrote about, beyond the galaxy map's boundaries as well.
And I think one of the developers mentioned way back when that they used such far-off systems to test the engine's rendering of the Milky Way, in such edge cases? I can't seem to find the source though.

There's that lemon nebula as well, somewhere above the bubble I think. Can't remember if that's it's exact name but I just always thought it was weird that it's a unique one yet you can't get to it.

There is...

• Beta Phoenicis, which is over twice as far below the galaxy plane as the pulsars malenfant showed, despite the fact that the system's only suppose to be within a few hundred lightyears of Sol (doubt they'll ever fix this)
  • HIP 53085
  • HR 386, which is just outside of the galactic map boarders
  • HD 133031, which is over 39000ly above the center of the galaxy
  • White Eyed Pea
  • Several other pulsars and pulsar groups

And a personal favorite...

• GEN# +2.12450534, which is a part of NGC 1245, a star cluster that's just out of reach. Also the only star in the galaxy to use the "GEN#" name designation

...and probably many, many more.

EDIT 13/7/18: I've found a few more by exploring the EDDiscovery galaxy map. There's also...

• HD 91062
  • HD 27199
  • HD 35460
  • HD 23263
  • HIP 48445
  • HIP 3460
  • HD 10446
  • HIP 77716
  • HD 125178
  • HIP 60952
  • HIP 57357
  • HD 100973
  • HIP 52810
  • HD 207340
  • HIP 65979
  • HIP 68669
  • HIP 71186

Last edited:
There's that lemon nebula as well, somewhere above the bubble I think. Can't remember if that's it's exact name but I just always thought it was weird that it's a unique one yet you can't get to it.

Lemon Slice Nebula. That's where I've asked FD twice to teleport me :D

The PSR cluster is actually taken from the 47 Tucanae globular cluster, which is very well catalogued; mainly because it has a number of oddities uncommon for a globular cluster of its age. It's only roughly 13kly distant.

Since you're a bit of hobby astronomer, I'm going to pick your brain a little.

White dwarfs and neutron stars. What's the difference? And are the both very old stars? How rare are they?

White dwarfs and neutron stars. What's the difference?

Mass.

They're both stellar remnants - low mass ends up as white dwarf, intermediate mass ends up in a neutron star and high mass ends up in a black hole (to simplify things somewhat).

Almost all stars end up as one of the three and most of them (more than 95% of the Milky Way) are only heavy enough to become white dwarves. As there is no fusion going on and they glow from residual heat they will eventually get too cold to shine and become black dwarves - the universe isn't old enough to have any of those yet by several orders of magnitude.

Also neutron stars form as a result of supernova explosions from massive stars (3-8 solar masses I think?), and white dwarfs form as a result of medium-mass stars (0.9-3 solar mass) red giants shedding their outer layers at the end of their lives.

Their age depends on the star that formed them. Massive stars evolve quickly, they live for a few million years to a billion years and then explode and leave a neutron star behind (or black hole, if they're more massive). White dwarfs form as a result of the evolution of lower mass stars which can live for many billions of years. And then of course the remnants are just sitting there for however long it takes to find them, which adds to their age.

So you could find a neutron star that formed from a star that just exploded 1000 years ago, and the progenitor star could have only been formed a few million years earlier - or you could find a neutron star that was born in a supernova explosion 5 billion years ago. Both are the results of the end of a star's evolution, but one is considerably older than the other.

Great answers so far! To add some more detail:

White Dwarfs are also composed of whatever elements remained in the star's core, after it shed its outer layers. It will contain a lot of heavier elements as a result of using up most of the available hydrogen and then moving on to fusing other elements that were previously produced in the core (carbon, oxygen, maybe neon). As others mentioned, white dwarfs are what is left behind when a star swells up into a giant at the end of its life, and sheds its outer layers, leaving only the core.

Neutron Stars on the other hand, are entirely different, even though they are also the remains of a star's core. In this case it's the result of a supernova from a more massive star. You can almost think of them as failed black holes, since not enough mass remains to compress the material down below the Schwarzchild Radius (the size of the event horizon, were it to become a black hole). To simplify it a bit, their density is high enough that gravity takes over and crushes subatomic particles together, fusing electrons and protons together to form neutrons. This results in a ridiculously dense core of neutrons that are packed together as tightly as they can be, like one giant atomic nucleus. This material is often referred to as Neutronium. At the Neutron Star's surface there will be a crust of less dense matter, typically iron and other heavy elements produced in the supernova, and in the core during the star's later stages of life. They're only about 10km in radius and have roughly double the mass of our sun. Yeah. Let that sink in. As the wikipedia page explains, a normal sized matchbox of neutronium at that density would have a mass of about 3 billion tonnes.

As others have said, both types are no longer engaging in fusion, and all of the remaining heat and light emission is due to residual heat (both), and heat generated by continuing gravitational collapse (in the case of the white dwarfs). And to some degree, neutron stars can gain energy by eating other stars, or accretion discs of material.

(As an aside, astronomers use "dwarfs" for the plural. It was Tolkein that came up with "dwarves")

Last edited:
Also, let me add an interesting theory about compact stars: the possibility of quark stars. Much like the neutron stars mentioned here, only with conditions extreme enough that most of the matter of the stars would be made up of free quarks.

Mind you, there are two things that make it difficult to ascertain whether such stars might exist. First, we don't know enough about the would-be properties of quark matter, due to not being able to easily create the conditions required to study them in that detail. Second, if quark stars existed, they'd be quite hard to distinguish them from neutron stars from here at Earth. Even more so if their outer layer was made up of neutrons, and only the core would be quarks. But if they do exist, they could have some interesting properties.

However, even if they did exist, they would still be quite rare. We are, after all, talking about stars which would be more massive than required to be a neutron star, but not massive enough to become a black hole.

There is...

• Beta Phoenicis, which is over twice as far below the galaxy plane as the pulsars malenfant showed, despite the fact that the system's only suppose to be within a few hundred lightyears of Sol (doubt they'll ever fix this)
  • HIP 53085
  • White Eyed Pea

• GEN# +2.12450534, which is a part of NGC 1245, a star cluster that's just out of reach. Also the only star in the galaxy to use the "GEN#" name designation
GEN# +2.12450534 is reachable now (along with the star cluster), just, thanks to Fleet carriers.

There is...

• HIP 53085
  • White Eyed Pea

...and probably many, many more.

EDIT 13/7/18: I've found a few more by exploring the EDDiscovery galaxy map. There's also...

• HD 91062
  • HD 27199
  • HD 35460
  • HD 23263
  • HIP 48445
  • HIP 3460
  • HD 10446
  • HIP 77716
  • HD 125178
  • HIP 60952
  • HIP 57357
  • HD 100973
  • HIP 52810
  • HD 207340
  • HIP 65979
  • HIP 68669
  • HIP 71186

Yeah got a big slab in the HIP catalogue myself while doing the HIP project, there's always at least a couple in every group of 500 outside the galaxy map range altogether and a stack 4k-5k from the nearest reachable stars.

Top Bottom