Newcomer / Intro Starting out?

So I'm basically trapped in what seems to be a starter system LHS 3447/Trevithick station area. Timeline of events:

Watch a zillion tutorials, play a few (landing and combat in particular).
Explore the galaxy map a bit. Decide to plot a route away from the starting area due to a variety of feedback on the forums saying its a good idea to get at least 50 LY away from a starting system.
Jumped a few systems (4-5), ran out of fuel in a dead system. Took the time spent drifting to my death figuring out the cockpit UI. Eventually ran out of fuel and died.

Restarted back in the starting system but now with some accumulated debt.
Decided to try and buy some commodities in the starting station, learned it doesn't sell any.
Decided to outfit a fuel scoop in order to make a longer trip. This required removing an existing system (cargo space by default). I chose to remove my shields instead. All of this feels like a series of horribly bad decisions (as the scoop also costs a third of your starting cash by the way)
Plotted a new route out away from the system.
Jumped two systems, practiced getting fuel without burning to a crisp for a little while, and as I was leaving the system was knocked out of cruise before completing my jump by a hostile NPC enemy which killed my shieldless ship pretty quickly.

Restarted again with more debt.
Decided to cruise to a station in the starting system that actually sells commodities. Docking was denied for quite some time but eventually it let me dock. I couldn't afford anything worthwhile to transport, and left without buying something.
Plotted another route to get 25 LY away from the starting system, this time making sure there were stations about every 3 jumps to dock and refuel at.
When I arrived at my first waystation for fuel, I found the appropriate pad but the dock never succeeded. I tripled checked landing gear and orientation/levelness of my ship and that I was centered on the pad. After about 6 minutes of being unable to complete the docking process I gave up and decided to learn how hard I have to hit a space station before my ship explodes.

Ouch Determined player, but bad luck. I would swap the discovery scanner for the fuelscoop. you will need shields to help protect against station bumps, asteroids, and other players and npcs. to resolve the debt issue, I would look at the bulletin board in starter station and take some of the available missions to ferry cargo to another location. they supply the cargo for these, and tell you where to take it. then pay you a reward. Before accepting it, verify in the galaxy map that your ship can get there with the cargo aboard. The icons on the bulletin board help you select the right type of mission. the single arrow is a haulage mission, (take these there) the double arrows are fetch missions, (go somewhere, buy whats asked fr, and bring it back) the arrow with first aid cross are donation missions( cost you money but help get your rep up) cross hairs are kill missions. ( which you dont want to be thinking about in your first ship.) So to start with Haulage missions, start small clear your debt. once you can afford it, get a larger cargo hold replaciing the 2 slot one you start with. that will let you take better paying missions, and work from there.

Last edited:
I'm on day 2 myself :)

I'd suggest docking and hitting up the Bulletin Board, you can get some easy transport missions to get your cash up a little. Be wary, some of them will say in the mission brief or under the outline that it's illegal. Skip those ;)

This way you can see a bit more of the galaxy. It sounds like that NPC interdicted you, so don't throttle down and keep aiming for the blue bulls-eye.

If you're feeling plucky you can get missions for hunting pirates. All of the missions give you reputation with the quest giver. The idea behind the game in general is to do whatever the hell you want - no limitation to storyline, all free form. The stories are made by finishing missions and transitioning wealth between the factions - they all grow according to the impact of players on the galaxy.

If you're wanting to go bounty hunting, as another activity, you can look for "Unknown Signals" while in super cruise. Check your navigation panel (shift+a for PC) and those will pop up. This could be anything from pirates vs cops to a simple wedding barge floating around - so target the ships and see if any of them have a bounty. If you wanna kill other players I'd suggest getting a Warrant Scanner when you have the cash - these will list bounties the player has earned in other systems as well. The trick is that it has a 3km range and you need to "channel" until you get the new reading before killing them. This can be considered a hostile act but the extra cash can be worth it. (There are other forum posts about this, stating the pros and cons - there may be changes to its functionality later).

So it's up to you what you wanna start with. I've been dabbling. You can also just get a cargo hold expander (another two slots) to make trades and get a freighter later. It's your game.

Every time I've checked the bulletin board its either no available missions at all (that I am allowed to accept) or they are illegal.

Every time I've checked the bulletin board its either no available missions at all (that I am allowed to accept) or they are illegal.

When that happens to me I change station or even system. If you don't want illegal missions stay clear of stations and outposts that are labeled as Anarchy
Of course if you are interested in illegal activities (smuggling, piracy, slave trade) they are your best friends

and have alook at this starting guide, it's quite good
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80291

Last edited:
Top Bottom