Newcomer / Intro Stuck in my SRV, will need to self-destruct. Should I recall my ship first?

I am apparently hopelessly stuck in my SRV on a railing at a research base that was wiped out by Thargoids (apparently). Should I recall my ship before I destroy the SRV?

Thanks! If I recover to orbit, I presume that means that I would not have had to recall my ship before self-destructing. But wait, there's more!

While I was thinking about what to to, the datapoint tower that I had activated was emitting its odd wailing sounds. I'm not sure if that's what resulted in the following...

It turns out that I had a 'friendly' helper show up after I tried logging out to the main menu and back into the game (which left me stuck exactly as I was).
z02 Uh oh- visitor! small.jpg

I didn't think that I had much to lose, so I played this out, trying my boosters and Fwd, Rev motion to get free. Lo and behold, the 'visitor's' nice scanning beams shifted my SRV enough to unhook the wheel from the railing it was hooked on and my boosters propelled me off of the structure!
z03 Uh oh- visitor! Broke me free! 50pct.jpg
The yellow beams stopped, and I was still alive - wow!
The kind helper then... departed - wow!

z04 Uh oh- visitor! Departed and I wasn't killed cs75pct.jpg

It's nice to have such good - uh - neighbors! They have such a pretty flower-shaped ship. I wonder who they are... :alien:

Footnote:
Yes that was intended to be comical. I know who/what that was. I didn't expect to survive the encounter in my SRV and I certainly didn't expect the ship to leave before I had not survived.
That was certainly an unexpected exploration event. Just goes to show you that the game and perhaps exploration in particular may still dish out some surprises! Get out there, CMDRs!

Big Spoilers:
For those of you who might like to see if this happens to you:

System Map cs75pct.jpg

Base tower 75pct.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! If I recover to orbit, I presume that means that I would not have had to recall my ship before self-destructing. .....

You don't need to self destruct. What @Tyres O'Flaherty was referring to is that if you quit to desktop then select Elite Dangerous in the launcher (not Horizons, Odyssey, Arena or Training) then select play you will load the base non-Horizons game which means you will start in orbit above your last location. (I think it actually asks you if you want to do this or exit.) So you find yourself back in your ship in space and your SRV is now sitting in its bay. (Magic!)

Vanilla ED game is still available for all players in game laumcher and is possible use for safe "recovery" of stucked SRV. Another possibility is for Odyssey in case you can disembark from SRV, then board ship and try use ship for bump SRV out of obstacle ... it worked for me few times. That latter can be especially helpfull in case you do not want "reset" settlement during ongoing mission.

You don't need to self destruct. What @Tyres O'Flaherty was referring to is that if you quit to desktop then select Elite Dangerous in the launcher (not Horizons, Odyssey, Arena or Training) then select play you will load the base non-Horizons game which means you will start in orbit above your last location. (I think it actually asks you if you want to do this or exit.) So you find yourself back in your ship in space and your SRV is now sitting in its bay. (Magic!)
Just as an aside as I've only just noticed this.

It wasn't me but I'll quite happily take all the credit! :D

Note that you have to power-up your SRV hangar in the RHS UI Modules page after doing this. *

That could be why some people think it doesn't work any more - you can't deploy unless hangar powered.
That's really a good tip because it's easy to miss. I got caught by that when I next landed on a planet and couldn't deploy. Tried another body nearby and then thought to check the Modules page, and voila! it was indeed OFF.

If Frontier drops support for the non-Horizons version of the game in the future (could happen) you will have to get a lot better at getting your SRV out of a predicament. No more getting everything back in orbit. 98 percent of the time I figured it out including this one...

srvstuck.jpg

Otherwise carry two SRVs just in case especially many light years outside the bubble. Work on your experience when that day comes and knowing if you fail what to do about it.

Last edited:
I used to get impossibility stuck all.the time and use the relog to orbit.
Then I did a planetary circumnavigation which taught me LOADS about the control of an Srv with all the available vectors. Never got stuck since.

They say git gud in a condescending manner , but it's fun to git better

Top Bottom