Stuck in Windows Cliffhouse after 1903 update. Reverb won't switch to ED

Hi All,

I've just done the 1903 update which seems to have gone ok. Numerous niggles now resolved but the one I can't get past is that whenever I try to start ED, the Cliffhouse kicks in and stays in. VR works fine in the Cliffhouse but ED just won't go into VR Mode and won't report any errors either. I can see the landing bay and navigate the menus. The screen looks like it does with VR running except there is no tracking so it's fixed. The Headset still shows nothing but the Cliffhouse. I've tried multiple settings for each of the following:

1. WMR Imput Switching Auto, Manual
2. WMR Experience: Auto, 60Hz, 90Hz
3. WMR Visuals: Auto, Low, Med, High, V.High
4. WMR Resolution: Auto, 4320x2160
5. WMR Environment Data cleared
6. WMR Reset My Home Done
7. SteamVR Quick Calibrate
8. SteamVR Reset Seated Position
8. SteamVR Custom Resolution Disabled, Enabled.

Nothing seems to make a difference. Any ideas?

Ok Scrub that, it was the 'WMR for SteamVR App'. It used to load automatically whenever I started a game but now I have to start it manually.

Just testing on SkyrimVR. Don't know what Microsoft did but the visual quality is waaay better than before. Wasn't expecting that.

do for:
Steam VR
Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR (as below)
click right mouse button, select 'properties' and select beta - public beta in marked area

I have a couple of questions re. the 'Public Beta' settings in SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR. I'm not using the 'public beta settings' in either app and my display is fine. I'm interested to know if Wasp0 opts of of the public beta's, will image quality be retained or lost? If it's the latter then I've no idea how mine is using the proper settings whilst being outside the beta programme.

That said, in WMR Home Settings, does anyone know what "WMR Visuals: Auto, Low, Med, High, V.High ( beta )" actually does? e.g. does Low mean FP single precision as opposed to double? Does High mean all the anti-latency techniques are switched off? Does very high mean the same as high but all the settings get polished until they're shiny? I have no clue.

It would be far more useful for troubleshooting if specific features are listed with the ability to change their individual settings. As it stands they may as well just call them, "Won't work", "Might Work", "Works when you pray" and "This is the only setting you can use, the others are to make you think we gave you choice".

I am also not using beta's but the VR is the exception.
all of VR is one big beta, so participation in beta in fact change nothing in this case.

So lets go to the settigns:
why beta both for steamvr and wmr? because the 'non-beta' versions are just very outdated (and also buggy). In that case the beta provides much more fresh code and issues are fixed from version to version - honestly - i never was affected by some bug on the wmr/steam beta.
Micro$oft changed a code in beta which is unlocking the back-buffer limit to allow use full potential for the Reverb (and made few other tweaks) in the beta channel.

Cliffhous - you need to use 90hz and Very High (beta) settings. 90 hz because it will give you full fov and (i dunno why) better quality in rendering, and Very High (beta), because its just a quality of rendering.
I had not seen a noticable difference in performance, but in quality yes.

So, the point is to unlock the full potential of the headset in WMR/cliffhouse and steam and after that you can adjust the performance in Steam VR supersampling and in-game details.
And also a thing what was noticed by me and other folks - always use Steam VR supersampling instead of in-game supersampling (steam vr ss works faster).

Last edited:
Thanks Kyokushin, I've been playing with the settings based on what you told me. I leave in-game HMD and also SS at x1.0 whilst changing the Steam Custom resolution to 400% and the SteamVR resolution for 'WMR for Steam' to 400%. The game display quality is, for me, every bit as good as HMD x2.0, SS x2.0 but I don't suffer any significant performance hit. I wouldn't say my 'verb is HD monitor quality but it's pretty darn close now.

Yes - for me its the 'good enough' level and i can forget i have display on head, forget about and feel 'i am in'. I was unable to achieve on it on any other headset.
Thats the first headset then you're stopping to fight with readability of text. Of course thats not the end of VR journey, i can say its a good promising beginning.

Top Bottom