Successful Thargoid Experiment: New behavior, or bug?

tl;dr I got a thargoid wingmate, kinda

So I had this idea of masquerading as a cyclops and trying to follow an interceptor into the unknown. After killing a few, I decided the best camouflage would be to mimic their internal organs. So with 5 thargoid hearts in my cargo hold, I went looking for interceptors. At first I thought my camouflage might have been too good. After jumping around in and out of the incursion zones for an hour I thought maybe I wouldn't be hyperdicted carrying 5 hearts around. So I visited a few thargoids myself. The scouts were not having it. They attacked instantly as usual. The cyclops would scan me, then consider for a long tense moment before deciding I should die. I'm glad I put together a fast ship for this. When I decided to give up and head for home I got hyperdicted. I triggered my shutdown neutralizer too early and ended up spinning while a pair of interceptors watched in the distance. I assume they were laughing. All I got to do was scan their wakes. Encouraged by their lack of hostility, I decided to jump around a bit more.

Soon I was hyperdicted by a medusa. It did not like me at all. I had to run away immediately. The third time I was hyperdicted by another pair. This time I neutralized their shutdown field and was able to point my nose at them. One was already warping away by the time I was done spinning. The other, a cyclops headed towards me. I waited for it to scan me, but it just stopped at 456 meters from me. I stared at it for about 45 seconds waiting for it to do something before turning on my lights. Still nothing. I scanned it with my xeno scanner, then with my composition scanner, then honked at it. I assumed it was bugged and was going to just sit there forever, so I started backing away. It kept its 456 meter distance. I turned about and accelerated to 300ms and it still stayed with me. It was only when I went faster than it could that it fell behind. I came about and tried to get behind it, but it just really wanted to stay at exactly thargoid scanning range. I was kind of annoyed at this point. It was supposed to be the one leading this dance, not me. So I started jumping away and it started making creepy thargoid noises. I thought, why not stick around for a little while longer and see if I can get it to do anything else. I came about and accidentally rammed it and ed it off. The swarm came out and it was time to go.

I don't know if it was just a random bug (most probable) or if I did something that was intended, but I do intend to experiment more, since I'm bored. Maybe if the other interceptor wasn't so quick to jump away, I could have followed it into the void with my temporary wingmate keeping the door open behind me. Maybe my ship would have been destroyed with no rebuy. That would be the way to go. Before I started carrying hearts around, I had followed an interceptor as close as possible without hitting it as it warped away. When the small black hole they create as they warp collapsed it was exactly like hitting an asteroid at speed but without damage. I hope to see if the same happens with the hearts on board. I recorded the entire event, but I don't know where I should upload it. I'm not a content creator. Maybe someone else would like to try to recreate this event. You'll have to buy the hearts. My original idea was to kill 6, get the bobble and use the rest for the camouflage experiment. I killed one, got a heart, killed another, and it didn't drop a heart. Also the heart in my hold was gone after the fight. Maybe it cooked? Maybe the goid stole it? I dunno. I've done just about everything there is to do in this game, so now I'm just experimenting. It's too bad I couldn't get it to follow me into hyperspace. That would make for some hilarity.

tl;dr I got a thargoid wingmate, kinda

So I had this idea of masquerading as a cyclops and trying to follow an interceptor into the unknown. After killing a few, I decided the best camouflage would be to mimic their internal organs. So with 5 thargoid hearts in my cargo hold, I went looking for interceptors. At first I thought my camouflage might have been too good. After jumping around in and out of the incursion zones for an hour I thought maybe I wouldn't be hyperdicted carrying 5 hearts around. So I visited a few thargoids myself. The scouts were not having it. They attacked instantly as usual. The cyclops would scan me, then consider for a long tense moment before deciding I should die. I'm glad I put together a fast ship for this. When I decided to give up and head for home I got hyperdicted. I triggered my shutdown neutralizer too early and ended up spinning while a pair of interceptors watched in the distance. I assume they were laughing. All I got to do was scan their wakes. Encouraged by their lack of hostility, I decided to jump around a bit more.

Soon I was hyperdicted by a medusa. It did not like me at all. I had to run away immediately. The third time I was hyperdicted by another pair. This time I neutralized their shutdown field and was able to point my nose at them. One was already warping away by the time I was done spinning. The other, a cyclops headed towards me. I waited for it to scan me, but it just stopped at 456 meters from me. I stared at it for about 45 seconds waiting for it to do something before turning on my lights. Still nothing. I scanned it with my xeno scanner, then with my composition scanner, then honked at it. I assumed it was bugged and was going to just sit there forever, so I started backing away. It kept its 456 meter distance. I turned about and accelerated to 300ms and it still stayed with me. It was only when I went faster than it could that it fell behind. I came about and tried to get behind it, but it just really wanted to stay at exactly thargoid scanning range. I was kind of annoyed at this point. It was supposed to be the one leading this dance, not me. So I started jumping away and it started making creepy thargoid noises. I thought, why not stick around for a little while longer and see if I can get it to do anything else. I came about and accidentally rammed it and ed it off. The swarm came out and it was time to go.

I don't know if it was just a random bug (most probable) or if I did something that was intended, but I do intend to experiment more, since I'm bored. Maybe if the other interceptor wasn't so quick to jump away, I could have followed it into the void with my temporary wingmate keeping the door open behind me. Maybe my ship would have been destroyed with no rebuy. That would be the way to go. Before I started carrying hearts around, I had followed an interceptor as close as possible without hitting it as it warped away. When the small black hole they create as they warp collapsed it was exactly like hitting an asteroid at speed but without damage. I hope to see if the same happens with the hearts on board. I recorded the entire event, but I don't know where I should upload it. I'm not a content creator. Maybe someone else would like to try to recreate this event. You'll have to buy the hearts. My original idea was to kill 6, get the bobble and use the rest for the camouflage experiment. I killed one, got a heart, killed another, and it didn't drop a heart. Also the heart in my hold was gone after the fight. Maybe it cooked? Maybe the goid stole it? I dunno. I've done just about everything there is to do in this game, so now I'm just experimenting. It's too bad I couldn't get it to follow me into hyperspace. That would make for some hilarity.
It's a long time behavior bug.
The heart that gone from your cargo means you overheated at some point during a fight and the cargo hold having the weakest module integrity, it released them when dealed damages.

It's a long time behavior bug.
The heart that gone from your cargo means you overheated at some point during a fight and the cargo hold having the weakest module integrity, it released them when dealed damages.
I see. I guesss it's back to killing them till I think of something else to do. I might see how some of the surface structures respond.

Top Bottom