(Suggestion) - Distress Signal

Ok here's the idea, Space as we know is a dangerous place so I think each ship should include a distress signal system. Whether it's a module you buy or whether the ships come with an inbuilt system would be for others to decide.
So you get pulled into a fight with an interdiction you can choose to emit the distress signal for help, the law enforcement ships may come to your aid, or maybe other friendly pilots. Human players and NPCs alike. However of course there is always the risk that Pirates may "take the opportunity" as they now know there is a weakened ship nearby ready for picking. They may choose to help and the price is your cargo for example. So there's no guarantee help will come so a pilot uses the system at their own risk

Already partially in place with the report crimes function, however I do think a distress signal visible to npc's and players would be a very nice touch. Attracting possible pirates, bounty hunters, or players with a function such as a signal source. Would be an interesting bit I'd like to see

I could be mistaken but I think 1.5/2.0 is adding exactly this on NPC's that you'll see in SC. There will even be NPC's specifically designated "Rescue One". Would only think its the first step towards giving players their own distress signal.

A distress signal would be ace. The good old risk/ reward, is it a trap etc. One of the most iconic space sci-fi things to have on a ship! It should cost to reload though and be a one use package so that people don't just use it everywhere. Also there should be a reward system for those helping out.

I could be mistaken but I think 1.5/2.0 is adding exactly this on NPC's that you'll see in SC. There will even be NPC's specifically designated "Rescue One". Would only think its the first step towards giving players their own distress signal.

Yep already in Beta

Distress.jpg

Distress signals are definetly present in the Horizons beta. I entered one with my Asp, found one civilian ship in distress and four or five hostiles - Vipers, Cobras and the like. The hostiles summarily went after me, so I boosted off and jumped out of there. Need to bring a better ship to be able to deal with those.

Sounds good but really what I had in mind, I've not got access to the Beta but my idea is for it to be something you "the player" can send out when in trouble for other players, or NPCs to come and help. Or otherwise! Obviously it sounds good if NPCs are using them in the Beta but would be better if we could send them out.

I like the idea that you can set your ship's beacon to "distress" (possibly via a hotkey as well as right hand panel option). Depending on the security rating of the system and your reputation and allegiance to the local government you have a chance of getting system security, rescue ships or pirate ships dropping in to investigate. It would provide an option for traders trying to outrun pirates as well as those who wish to take out system security to destabilize systems.

Sounds good but really what I had in mind, I've not got access to the Beta but my idea is for it to be something you "the player" can send out when in trouble for other players, or NPCs to come and help. Or otherwise! Obviously it sounds good if NPCs are using them in the Beta but would be better if we could send them out.

Ya I get what you're saying. But giving this to NPC's is the first step towards giving it to the players, I think. In my eyes its a good sign for achieving what you're asking for.

I wonder if it could have maybe a nav-lockish type function, too. For a couple systems around, CMDR's get a ping on the chat kerjigger, and a few second to lock on and jump directly to the beacon. Could be balanced out with longer charges, or longer travel, an interdiction landing, something like that.

This was in the Beta at the beginning, for refueling?
s60okm.jpg

It would be awesome for players to have again, emergent gameplay and all that. Could add a system to charge the player cash before intervention; I can save yr ass, but it's gonna cost ya! Oh, he's dead, never mind <scoops remains>

Last edited:
This was in the Beta at the beginning, for refueling?
http://i65.tinypic.com/s60okm.jpg

It would be awesome for players to have again, emergent gameplay and all that. Could add a system to charge the player cash before intervention; I can save yr ass, but it's gonna cost ya! Oh, he's dead, never mind <scoops remains>

Yep. Before you could scoop fuel exploring would have been practically impossible so that is why we had a beacon to get absurdly expensive fuel delivered. In Michael's words it was a pretty clunky implementation and got pulled when scooping was added. He did say at the time that they might revisit that code and the new beta functionality looks like phase 1.

Top Bottom