Supercruise Boost

I see lots of posts here about the length of time it takes to travel in supercruise to your destination. To be honest I can understand the arguments both ways, from ‘space is big, it’s realistic to expect long travel times’ to ‘user experience and gameplay should be prioritised over realism to make the game more engaging’ - or various words to various effect on these themes. As I said, I can sympathise with both sides.

Back in the original Elite there was a way to ‘jump’ within a system, so long as you were not mass locked. ED version of this is supercruise, I guess, however this lacks the feeling of immediacy that the original intra-system jump had.

So - what if supercruise could be boosted, or put into overdrive, or basically a form of supercharged state of faster travel.

It would need to be implemented with some form of game mechanic, where you might sacrifice manouvreability, fuel, etc, induce heat buildup, only work when in clear open space (ie no traffic or nearby significant masses, like the original where mass lock would prevent the jump). Perhaps it only works above a minimum distance. Maybe it requires some kind of system management or balancing of power/modules/shield position etc.

Could be a happy medium? Thoughts? Not sure if this is a terrible idea or not...!

Personally as it stands, I think supercruise should be harder to control. Feels too ‘easy’ to control, I think it should feel more sluggish to reflect the shear physics of manouvring in a state of warped space at such speeds.

Last edited:
There are some interesting options regarding speed boosts. It would definitely have to have payoffs. Some possibilities out there are:

• Stealth vs visibility. Make fast-travelling ships extremely visible to encourage an ongoing piracy dynamic.
  • Degradation of FSD (and possibly hull / modules) through sustained use.

And some fun extra possibilities it could open up:

• Fast-braking via gravity wells - possibly with new UI indicators

Would be cool to see some kind of 'planetary shadow' approach used to 'extend' the geography of the systems further out. IE possibly approaching within their shadow could provide a masking / shielding effect, making you harder to spot. So fast-travelling ships could recoup some stealth aspects through flight skill, at the risk of crashing into the body, or messing up their speed run by entering the gravity well. Chaining planets could be a thing ;)

I already had a beginnings of an idea in another thread of it being a some sort of side panel minigame that takes your attention and you can't really do unless travelling long distances in straight line. You keep adjusting your drives space bending properties to the optimal profile to the current gravity wells or something. If it also was something multicrew was able to do, it would add a lot of usability to that feature and give crew members something to do while in supercruise.

I already had a beginnings of an idea in another thread of it being a some sort of side panel minigame that takes your attention and you can't really do unless travelling long distances in straight line. You keep adjusting your drives space bending properties to the optimal profile to the current gravity wells or something. If it also was something multicrew was able to do, it would add a lot of usability to that feature and give crew members something to do while in supercruise.

I think it'd be a shame if they trapped those aspects within the panel. Flight skills in SC already feel somewhat under-utilised with the more trammelled flight model.

Some kind of pre-planning before a fast transit could be interesting (assessing destination geography or whatever), but I can't help but feel that some kind of in-cockpit UI and flight execution would be the 'most Elite' way to go. (Or at least the most 'Elite that I like' way to go ;))

Totally agree with the pre planning aspect and also the idea that pilot skill should be encouraged. Also like the idea of defining a ‘geography’. This would give a texture to the journey and the process.

All the ideas about adjusting drives to achieve optimal warping etc is also very much up my street. Not necessarily in panel only, but agree with the concept 100%

If you consider flight sims (of which I am a big fan) you realise that all of the little things that need to be attended to during a particular manoeuvre or phase of flight are the things that make it so engaging and absorbing.

Consider the last three minutes of a plane coming in to land. There are many tweaks and adjustments to maintain optimal position and approach. Or mid flight in cruise, the various throttle and trimming adjustments, and navigation adjustments.

I am not suggesting Elite become a full blown sim (as much as I’d welcome some of it!) but there could easily be benefits from additional things to ‘pilot’ (or Command? Commander....) whilst navigating the depths of space to enrich the experience.

Supercruise is gimped by two arbitrarily enforced aspects :

2001c capped. We got the reference, cool joke, now move on and uncap FDev.

No overshoot mechanism with long ETA > 6 secs. Half of a long supercruise trip is spent decelerating automatically!

Supercruise is gimped by two arbitrarily enforced aspects :

2001c capped. We got the reference, cool joke, now move on and uncap FDev.

No overshoot mechanism with long ETA > 6 secs. Half of a long supercruise trip is spent decelerating automatically!

Yeah deceleration feels very undercooked. (Instinctively I always think the solution should be to 'brake' using the planets etc, but I recognise it's probably hard to make that fun / skillful at speed. Kinda why I favour some kind of UI that shows the target braking zones more clearly - but that tips over into meatier dev work potentially. Plus possibly hits the old issue, back when we could brake more effectively: Nobody could escape from gas giants if they slowed down nearby :D)

Doesn't everybody already do this? It's easy enough to shave 20 seconds off final approach using gravity well braking and avoid that seemingly endless 6 second counter.

I was thinking of an exaggerated version of the same. IE a UI showing gravity wells to allow them to be strategically struck during a faster approach. (See the pitch in my sig for some mock-ups :))

Again, as per all the other threads, no to in system jumps or anything that trivialises Supercruise. If, however, you want something involving player agency, as in a skill based system I have recently made a suggestion, for using planetary slingshots to obtain higher SC speeds, a link to which is in my signature.

I like the gravity braking mechanic and concept, and agree that more can be done with this to make navigation more engaging. The idea that mass affects and inhibits the drive’s performance is engaging one and semi-believable in terms of game level physics.

I don’t really understand the slingshotting ideas however, they don’t really chime for me. Isn’t slingshotting only relevant or possible if you’re not in a state of warp? Ie, just thrusted body in space? It’s fundamentally an old fashioned Newtonian physics trick. Whereas the FSD is a space warping engine. For me amendments to the SC to try to attain higher top speed should either simply remove/increase the cap, or allow some additional FSD based boost/overcharge based upon the ‘physics’ as currently established in the game (and I use that term ‘physics’ in a slightly diluted, game-specific sense :) )

If planets were to be utilise in a more fundamental way as a navigation tool,I guess the orrery becomes a key tool and would require a much better UI integration

Except when it is.

Like when travelling long distances in SuperCruise and you’re stuck at 2001c.

Which is almost never.

You need to travel about two-million lightseconds away from gravity wells before you'll reach 2001c. The number of places this occurs, if you are actually going anywhere, is extremely small. I can think of maybe three locations in the entire bubble where the 2001c cap can be hit if you aren't just flying off into space for the hell of it.

Which is almost never.

You need to travel about two-million lightseconds away from gravity wells before you'll reach 2001c. The number of places this occurs, if you are actually going anywhere, is extremely small. I can think of maybe three locations in the entire bubble where the 2001c cap can be hit if you aren't just flying off into space for the hell of it.
Ok, so supercruise acceleration is too slow.

Double the acceleration rate and we will not only travel much faster overall, but still retain the relative scale of space that critics say is important to preserve.

Ok, so supercruise acceleration is too slow.

Double the acceleration rate and we will not only travel much faster overall, but still retain the relative scale of space that critics say is important to preserve.

Only if you also double the effect that gravity has on supercruise maximum speed. That way, flying around the inner system becomes more skill-based, but the long distance straight line runs become less tedious.

Only if you also double the effect that gravity has on supercruise maximum speed. That way, flying around the inner system becomes more skill-based, but the long distance straight line runs become less tedious.

The only skill based aspect to supercruise I can think of is using planets to decelerate while not overshooting, and your suggestion makes it actually easier...

I usually orbit in elipses around the main star until I build 10-15c, dont find it particularly demanding.

The 2001c cap is almost never relevant.

So is the heavy editing and constant reduction to one phrase quotes you took the habit of in these forums.

Last edited:

But unfortunately this would make acceleration away from bodies slower again, nerfing the acceleration gains. It's a conundrum!

Top Bottom