Switch T-Rex Patterns

We’re all loving the remodels from Return to Jurassic Park, but the T-Rex is a little confusing. The blue green one looks like the one from the second sequel while the light brown one looks like the female from the first sequel, but in the game, their names are actually 1997 and 2001 respectfully. That’s messed up. Can you please switch them for better representation? One more question. Do the alternative patterns have shorter jaws? I’m told the male tyrannosauruses in the franchise have those. If that’s true, please also switch the red and blue green ones after the first switch. That includes making the red longer and the blue green shorter.

Last edited:
Oh it wasn't meant as a critisism on your post, but on how Frontier categorised the skins.
What is named the 2001 default looks like the female rex from TLW.

Actually, there's no TLW Doe skin in the pack. Doe doesn't have those bright spots on it's back. The back is darker than the rest of the torso but without the spots.

the_lost_world_jurassic_park_t_rex_female_by_nikorex_dbxl7e7-fullview.jpg

Actually, there's no TLW Doe skin in the pack. Doe doesn't have those bright spots on it's back. The back is darker than the rest of the torso but without the spots.

the_lost_world_jurassic_park_t_rex_female_by_nikorex_dbxl7e7-fullview.jpg

Yeah, the new T-rex skins are nice, but I think Frontier got a little lazy with them, at least compared to the amount of work put into Raptor skins. Despite having the most requested skins second to the Velociraptor, it didn't get any model changes and all of the skin patterns are exactly the same with just different colors. It's a little disappointing that we didn't get an actual Doe or JP3 Rex skin. I meant they went out of their way to ensure that every variation of the raptor skins got included and were accurate to the films, so why not do the same for the Rex?

Last edited:
Yeah, compared to the Raptors, the Rex received a lackluster treatment. None of the patterns are spot on except maybe the 93 JP. The rest look similar but that's it. And the problem is, they know exactly how they're supposed to look. People have been photoshoping the patterns in images ever since the game came out, not to mention all the source material.

None of the rexes have a single model change. SOmeone with a 3D model viewer confirmed this with BestInSlot and together, shared some images on a video Conor made. over a week a ago.

And I don't think the names are mismatched, I think one, they're just in the order you weren't expecting. Also, the skin colors are based on how they clearly looked in the films, rather than from behind the scenes, as I can show an example here with the female from the end of the Lost World film.
MV5BMzE1MGYxNTEtM2Y0OC00YzJiLWI4ZWMtNWE2MmEyMmUxOTZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI4OTE1MTA@._V1_.jpg

The female is the one to the right side. Her brown colors and patterns were shown on the animatronics used for her, but those colors, while present at some points on-screen like when she and the male first arrived at the trailer, was too dark (and at one point, blurry, when the heroes were bringing the child rex outside).
(A similar thing happened with the Triceratops and the Parasurolophus.)
Based on my observations, I think the decision was to visually portray the dinosaurs (excluding the Lost World pteranodon in regards to the model shapes and lack of teeth) the best can as they did on-screen with enough clearance for reference, rather than from behind the scenes. When I think about it more deeply, it makes sense, because people from the general public are going to remember how they looked on-screen rather than what they "really looked like" from behind the scenes, as the only ones who will know of the latter would be fans, like myself and probably you as well, who go deeper into the series than the general audience.

The 2001 rex colors I don't think were added because they were too similar to the green rex (which was used for the male, more clearly similar to when he and the female were shown at the trailer when searching for their infant than his CGI model like above). Even looking at the green 1997 rex can be easily related to the green rex from JPIII. The raptors I believe got the same treatment, particularly the 1997 versions. The female raptors weren't orange on-screen, but they were given a more duller version of the male for both naming consistencies and to be able to distinguish it from the 1993 version, as the 1993 raptor designs were reused on-screen.

The Stegosaurus and the Triceratops don't have legacy skins for the 2001 or 1997 respectively because they are basically the same designs as they were in their previous films.

Last edited:
Top Bottom