Guide / Tutorial Taking a large ship out through the access corridor for the first few times

If...

you're in one of the larger ships for the first time, and...
you're having some trouble getting out through the access corridor, and...
you choose not to use the auto-launch feature of the docking computer, then...

this tip might help you until you're throwing the ship around like an imperial eagle.

When I was in that position I found it best after undocking not to touch the pitch controls, but to use instead only vertical thrust, lateral thrust, and roll to get the ship into its departure location.

The trick is to have the current starport selected in the navigation panel and to look at its icon in the HUD. As you rise away from the launch pad you thrust upwards and roll appropriately to place the ship in the plane that includes the rotational axis of the starport and the access corridor.

At that point the starport icon will look like it does in the embedded image (indicated by the white arrow). Once you have that you can power forwards through the access corridor with only minor adjustments needed to vertical and lateral position. Remember, avoid pitching the ship or you will be askew.

With the mouse widget on, have it pointing just above the center line.
Works so well in any of the big ships, boost is allowed.

I nose up from the pad and spam boost like a madman.

Center dot aimed in the general direction of the slot.

We might make it through clean, clang off the side, or drag a Sidey along for the ride. Maybe we just hit the wall?

Four pips to systems before impact and we don’t have to worry about it!

Some people wouldn't believe me when I posted about this yonks ago - crazy how some folks cannot accept evidence (some even think the earth is flat).

There are also visual cues for aligning with the axis on entry - the three lights at the far end of the docking bay - people argued about those too. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom