Thargoid tried to "speak" with me with strange sounds. Looks like some form of communication is possible.

Secret Name reporting in!

This week I was doing listening posts in pleiades.
Listening, writing down, solving them myself. Checking if everything is the same as written on canonn site.

So far so good.
Today, while doing some invoices here and there I had some strange thargoid encounters.

First: they hyperdicted me three times in a row, every time with increasing number.
Theory: it may be connected to the fact that I was often jumping right from thargoid structure/ thargoid attacked site to another. Maybe they can "see" that someone is snooping around.

Second: there was a strange hyperdiction. Read about about something similar here.
Two cyclops(es?) hyperdicted me when jumping from Merope to Pleione.

I have some thargoid items with me onboard almost all of the time, so that is always a bit dangerous situation.

Standard procedure in those cases:
  • switch to the EMP neutraliser, use it
  • thargoid deploys its swarm when he sees this and gets close to me
  • I boost-high-wake from there ASAP, usually before he can even scan me

Only this time was a little different.
  • switch to the EMP neutraliser, use it
  • thargoid deploys its swarm when he sees this and gets close to me
  • I boosted away, but stopped and decided to wait for the flower guy a bit before jumping out...

...and this is where it started getting strange.

Thargoid reacted to this by hiding its swarm and "communicating" with me, for the lack of better word. Second one just high-waked out and left us alone.
Did not attack me, even though I had 3 different thargoid items in my cargo hold (sensor, link, and resin or technology, maybe both).

Instead it was keeping its distance at about 470m and sending .... sounds.
Not morse, but something similar.
Probably trigrams of ||| or ---.

Did not react to:
  • getting closer
  • increasing distance
  • deploying hardpoints
  • scanning

I was not going to provoke it and not used weapons, so that is not tested.
Tried to jump back and forth 2 times to reproduce the situation, but there was no hyperdiction.
Will try to reproduce it when there will be an opportunity.

I recorded the message of thargoid speaking.
Here is the audio. Decoders welcome!

Last edited:
Normal behavior.

They always make noises. Deploying the swarm is a warnign sign, btu they retract it if you don't provoke it further. They don't react to hardpoints being deployed or not, only to shots actually being fired.
They don't mind you getting a little closer, but staying too close for more than a couple seconds will aggro them.
Having the thargoid items in your hold it basically "asked you to drop them".
Having guardian cargo aggros them.

About the hyperdictions, there is a chart made by AXI of the spawn rates, which you can find here: https://www.antixenoinitiative.com/wiki/thargoids/hyperdictions

Last edited:
Normal behavior.

Ok, I may be uninformed, so please, would you ansewer my questions?

1. NOT attacking when I have thargoid items in my cargo is a normal behavior?
2. NOT scanning when in range is a normal behavior?
3. NOT going hyperspace after a minute of idleness is a normal behavior?
And most importantly:
4. Is staying in range and making those noises, as in attached audio (for 3 minutes straigt), a normal behavior?

Asking for clarity, not being sarcastic.

Do people really have alike ecounters? I could not find any more info on this.

1. NOT attacking when I have thargoid items in my cargo is a normal behavior?
Yes.
2. NOT scanning when in range is a normal behavior?
I've not done it myself yet, but I assume it's related to #1. Also with multiple thargoids present, only one tries to scan you.
3. NOT going hyperspace after a minute of idleness is a normal behavior?
Yeah that sometimes happens. Also had it that they mirrored all of my movements without ever jumping away.
And most importantly:
4. Is staying in range and making those noises, as in attached audio (for 3 minutes straigt), a normal behavior?
Related to #1 because you had thargoid cargo. They ask you to drop it, as I mentioned before.

They ask you to drop it, as I mentioned before.
That creates 2 more questions:

1. Does it ask to drop the cargo even when I was not scanned (by either one)?

2. What happens if I do not drop the cargo?
ninja edit

3. How long does a thargoid "ask" for cargo?

Having the thargoid items in your hold it basically "asked you to drop them".
Having guardian cargo aggros them.
Not quite correct.

A thargoid will attack you for thargoid or guardian cargo, regardless.

Just the initial reaction is slightly different. Sequence with (guardian/ thargoid) reactions respectively is:
1. Scan commander
2. (Glow red / no glow) + (angry noise / deep rumble)
3. Wait 20s for offending cargo to be dropped
4. Deploy thargons, glow red and attack.

This is the same process regardless of thargoid or guardian cargo, except the glow and noise.

Source: https://youtu.be/HVbtFqocuKI

Source: https://youtu.be/KW515OnC1QA

Last edited:
That creates 2 more questions:

1. Does it ask to drop the cargo even when I was not scanned (by either one)?

2. What happens if I do not drop the cargo?
ninja edit

3. How long does a thargoid "ask" for cargo?
1. If you avoid the scan (can be done by boosting out of scan range, once the scan starts), they ignore you. That's the only time they can detect your cargo contents.

2. They'll attack you. The only one they won't attack you for is meta alloys, which have a unique reaction.

3. Once a scan completes, you have about 20-25s to dump all offending cargo, being any thargoid and/or guardian cargo.

Meta alloys and human cargo (e.g escape pods) are the only cargo a thargoid will scoop, but not attack you for holding. Note, there's no unique reactions for human cargo.

Thanks for answering my questions.

This is the same process regardless of thargoid or guardian cargo, except the glow and noise

Yeah, that was the standard behavior that I also observed.

This time it was different, and it happened to me only once, but I will test this when given a chance.

Hyperdiction ->
EMP -> (I neutralised it and was gaining distance)
Thargons deployed-> (I set throttle to 0 and started to loose distance)
Thargons retracted->
Getting close-> (I am motionless)
No scan, no thargons, no loud noises-> (I stay motionless)
Started the message, which I recorded after I saw it was not aggressive.

I tried to get closer or further from it, but it followed me and tried to keep constant distance of 468m.
Message was going on for a few minutes, so I high-waked before it ended. Maybe that was a mistake.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Yeah, that was the standard behavior that I also observed.

This time it was different, and it happened to me only once, but I will test this when given a chance.

Hyperdiction ->
EMP -> (I neutralised it and was gaining distance)
Thargons deployed-> (I set throttle to 0 and started to loose distance)
Thargons retracted->
Getting close-> (I am motionless)
No scan, no thargons, no loud noises-> (I stay motionless)
Started the message, which I recorded after I saw it was not aggressive.

I tried to get closer or further from it, but it followed me and tried to keep constant distance of 468m.
Message was going on for a few minutes, so I high-waked before it ended. Maybe that was a mistake.
You were probably out of rnage for the scan, as Jmanis has mentioned you can avoid the scan. Haven't gotten to listen to the file yet as I kinda only look into the forums when I'm at work with "free time"

You were probably out of rnage for the scan, as Jmanis has mentioned you can avoid the scan. Haven't gotten to listen to the file yet as I kinda only look into the forums when I'm at work with "free time"

Dr Nagi, I appreciate your help in the matter, but I feel that you think I have no understanding of thargoid behavior.
I clocked over 1k hours, my post count does not reflect my game knowledge.

I managed to reproduce that strange behavior again, only once, though.
Hyperdicted by two cyclops again.

Those are the steps that I took after hyperdiction:

1. Boost away and full throttle. (I fly conda, so that was around 300m/s)
2. Slow down and stop after thargoids were on the "edge" of my minimap and not targettable. You know, those jumping squares signalling something is there, but beyond sensor range.
3. Switch to camera and look back to see what is going on.

One of them just high-waked, the other one pulled back its swarm and came in less than 500m range.
Did not scan me, behavior was consistent with what I described in previous posts, so I switched to cockpit view again and turned around.

Now, there is some new info about this.

I tried switching to free camera and get closer inspection and possibly an audio with a better quality, but as soon as I did this the sounds stopped.
So I switched back to ship again and was able to hear those "beeps" again.
I turned off my modules one by one and as soon as I did that to my sensors, thargoid sounds stopped.
Turned it back again, still no sounds.

Now, here is the important part:

Sounds are only heard when thargoid is an active target.

Thargoid reacted aggressively when I attacked, so that does not look like a glitch too.
I have an audio/video of the encounter if anyone is interested, but nothing more than what you can hear in OP's audio.

Will test more when given a chance.

If there are any people that wants to help in my research, please take following steps when hyperdicted:

Boost away and block EMP.
Slow down after a while.
Check if thargoid is following you.
Let him scan you (or not, he did not scan me).
Target it and wait for message.
Note any unusual behavior.

First we need to learn how to reproduce this.

Quick update

There is a possibility of buggy behavior.
I just had a hyperdiction with 4 medusas, I think.
Tried to follow the steps, got scanned and 3 of them left.
One stayed motionless with 1 thargon deployed.

Did not react to attacks, ramming or anything else.

Last edited:
Dr Nagi, I appreciate your help in the matter, but I feel that you think I have no understanding of thargoid behavior.
I clocked over 1k hours, my post count does not reflect my game knowledge.
Sorry, I'm being active on AXI discord and people there do hyperdictions all the time, so if there was some off-behavior they would have noticed by now.
The collected knowledge about thargoids there is very extensive and well documented and often enough it happens that someone supposedly finds something new that in reality has been known for quite some time.
In fact this happens on an almost daily basis.

Sorry, I'm being active on AXI discord and people there do hyperdictions all the time, so if there was some off-behavior they would have noticed by now.

No problem, I just want to take the "some noob is asking stupid questions again" glasses off.

Hive mind is very good at missing some facts, while it is also very good at discovering some others.

AXI main focus is on fighting with thargoids, and there may be a number that measures your standing, same as with any other faction.
Some time ago there was even a possibility of turning thargoid icon on your radar green if you gave them meta alloys, but it was marked as a bug. Keep in mind that bug might be a green color on the radar, not standing with a thargoid faction (if there is any).
There is also an entry in the codex that describes thargoid communications/sounds directed at humans.

I am just following the clues.

So far I tested that this behavior and sounds can be reproduced.
What I am looking for right now is HOW.

If there are some people that knows how to do it I would be grateful for that information.

Top Bottom