Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Wiccan Ware Race, 12–22 January 3305

~880m/s, ~37ly jump, 16t cargo and even a teensy bit of shield in case I accidentally collide with a paperclip :D

Those are numbers! Looks like it's about time I seriously reconsider my engineering efforts...speaking of which...spent about half an hour outside Dublin today, putting together some badly needed datamined wake exceptions.

Gateway<->Alioth distance: 30.55 ly
Unladen jump range of my newly G5 engineered Mamba: 30.51 ly

I really didn't need that copilot seat anyway. And doors. And toilet. Now, this windscreen, looks heavy...

P.S. so just to double check - we can't just land at launch when returning to Dublin Citadel mid-race, we actually need to go into the Commodities screen briefly and scroll down so Domestic Appliances are visible?

Yes, looks like that's correct.

Darplata94 caught on speeding camera!

:eek:

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
First run not submitted. Man these SuperCruise approaches are nasty, it's been ages since I've had to go without planetary braking ;) There is definitely room for improvement.

P.S. so just to double check - we can't just land and launch when returning to Dublin Citadel mid-race, we actually need to go into the Commodities screen briefly and scroll down so Domestic Appliances are visible?

Yes, looks like that's correct.

Oh is it? I thought it was dock and take off... My run may be invalid, we'll see.

Dock at Dublin Citadel in Gateway. Depart immediately.

*Edit*

I haven't submitted my run as I was just going through the screenshots section and saw this, so I guess I need to do that next time.

A screenshot of the commodity market in Dublin Citadel, showing a single tonne of Domestic Appliances in the cargo hold.

Last edited:
P.S. so just to double check - we can't just land and launch when returning to Dublin Citadel mid-race, we actually need to go into the Commodities screen briefly and scroll down so Domestic Appliances are visible?
Correct. After all, you want that Jjagged Bbanner album copied to the data storage you brought along so you can bring it to Wicca's World. (I'll update the description.)

If I might be so bold, it's "Vatueil" with an I and not a double a L. [redface]
That's what you get for not filling out the submission form correctly …

Correct. After all, you want that Jjagged Bbanner album copied to the data storage you brought along so you can bring it to Wicca's World. (I'll update the description.)

Super. Imperial Courier run submitted. Hmmm ... I may have gone too far the other way now ... this ship might actually be too fast! :eek:

error : does not compute

I know right! But here's the thing - with an 880m/s ship, when I drop at the station I basically boost once, hurriedly open Contacts to get docking permission and then have zero time to register where the pad is (and maybe cancel/request a better one) because I'm already having to deploy my landing gear in order to avoid hitting the back wall of the station. I have to deliberately collide with the toastrack on the way in to slow down and still overshoot every single pad.

So errr, yeah - I seriously think my ship might be "too" fast. [woah]

Last edited:
I find the courier landing is to boost at zero throttle and deploy landing gear on final approach..should be down to 350 by then..this will do.

Wiccan Ware Race News

Two new finishers reached Aachen Town today. The first was Commander Aken Bosch, who was observed working on his Mamba all night removing various components – some of which stated by said observers usually deemed essential on a space ship. Whether true or not, it seemed to have worked: The Lapse of Reason II pushes past the Courier barrier to place second on the leaderboard. Next stop: first place!

Meanwhile, Commander Bosch' old position didn't remain empty for long, as well known racing authority Alec Turner finally managed to finish his trip from Isinor to our race course and brought with him — another Courier. Well, Commander Turner – after causing numerous heart attacks to dock employees on various stations – placed right on the edge of the Courier barrier, making the double a triple.

[sub]No surprise there.[/sub]

hoWYnMM.png

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I managed to get a couple of runs in tonight and managed to improve on my unsubmitted time from yesterday and the first run tonight. As I said yesterday the Super Cruise approaches in this race are really rather tricky and I think there's a lot of time to be won and lost in the approaches. And especially with the last stop on the regulation race being at a White Dwarf, got to stay on your toes right till the end! I decided to go for the Hauler in the end as I do like racing them and though I love the Eagle, unfortunately the jump range didn't cut it. So I christened the 'Vespa mandarinia' (Asian Hornet) named after the paintjob I had, and the fact that they have been recorded flying over 60 miles at around 25 miles an hour!

ZCTT8jDh.jpg

The run was mostly good, some of the approaches were sloppy though and can definitely be done better, but I did get a really nice entry to the first station. Take one regulation racing shieldless Hauler, getting one of the best pads on the first try, and then...

[video=youtube_share;U5wQlxfUaNU]https://youtu.be/U5wQlxfUaNU[/video]

Well, so much for THAT plan.

I don't have an Alioth permit. So much for open class in my Mamba.

I may still try an entry in regular but I'll have to craft a ship for it, stay tuned...

The Gateway Organisation issues the following announcement:
In line with the current ship racing event involving Dublin Citadel in Gateway, we would like to remind all ship pilots of the following safety regulation: The speed limit in and around Dublin Citadel is one hundred metres per second. Any speeding infraction will be persecuted to the letter of the law and will result in – possibly deathly – punishment. We would like to wish all participants and spectators a happy 'Wiccan Ware Race' event. Enjoy the show – responsibly.

'The Wiccan Ware Race is now almost one week running, and more and more results come in! So let's do an update.

'The first finish of the day happened in Vasilyev Vision, that beautiful resort with a view. It was Commander Elastul Ma'fer who elegantly glided in in a Hauler and comfortably takes the lead in Regular. Commander Ma'fer did look a little bit shaken when exiting the ship, though. We will investigate as to the reason for that. Stay tuned. (Personally, I believe that was due to trying to pronounce that ship name …)

'There was more activity at Wicca's World. Commander Alec Turner – unhappy with his position at the rear of the Courier barrier – ran the course again. We are happy to announce that he is now placed at the front of the Courier barrier. He still didn't manage to shatter said barrier, tying instead with Commander Aken Bosch, who surely will distance him shortly. (We did feel a little bad about informing Commander Turner that he had not – as first announced by him – tied first place.)

'However, somebody else was doing some distancing on his own today: Commander Darplata64 did not rest on his laurels and instead did it again. The Vulture shaved roughly another 30 seconds, enhancing the lead to over one minute. Can anybody stop him? (Rumors stating that Commander Bruski has been seen on track remain unconfirmed.)

'And behind the Courier wall, Commander Edelgard von Rhein shows how many different ship types are capable of competing in this race, switching the Viper with a Dolphin and thus gaining more than a minute. Unfortunately, Commander von Rhein announced at the finish line, that this would be the last attempt, as other duties were calling. We wish the Commander all the best!

'And here, the new leaderboard:'

UJzVaUT.png

[sub]'Hey, you forgot an entry!'[/sub]
[sub]'Be quiet. I'm not supposed to talk about it.'[/sub]
[sub]'But, we have to, don't we?'[/sub]
[sub]'Not if the boss says to keep quiet, we don't.'[/sub]
[sub]'Ah, I see …'[/sub]

Last edited:
New run submitted, closing in on my Truckers Up Teide Buckyball teammate! :cool:

Closing in? More like riding shotgun there! [up]

Now if we really have to keep this in a Truckers Up Teide fashion, I should be starting sliding and then helplessly tumbling down the leaderboard any moment now. :D

Think I'll stick with the Mamba until race deadline, speeds like a cannonball but handles like the cannon, bringing it under the 14" will be a challenge, of the "0:02 s approach" kind.

Closing in? More like riding shotgun there! [up]

Now if we really have to keep this in a Truckers Up Teide fashion, I should be starting sliding and then helplessly tumbling down the leaderboard any moment now. :D

Think I'll stick with the Mamba until race deadline, speeds like a cannonball but handles like the cannon, bringing it under the 14" will be a challenge, of the "0:02 s approach" kind.
Yup, and I'm gonna stick with the iCourier. I've got it's speed under control now and certainly don't need more. I could do with about 1 more ly of range to get to a slightly more convenient supply of Ad-Meds (hmm, I could ditch the shields I suppose) but otherwise it's really all down to me. Really not sure I can see where to shave an entire minute off tho' (hats off to Darplata ... in a frickin' Vulture too! :eek:) but there's certainly a few more seconds up for grabs here and there so I too will be setting my sights on the 14 barrier. May the best pilot win! o7

Last edited:
For general viewing pleasure: Here my single attempt shameful shamble at Open.
[video=youtube_share;as0xn6aP6mE]https://youtu.be/as0xn6aP6mE[/video]

PS: As usual, my coverage over the week-end will be reduced.

Last edited:
Here is an icourier build I used just now with a time of 13:41. It does include a guardian fsd booster.

https://s.orbis.zone/1vq9

Thanks for posting that (although you may yet live to regret it [haha]). Having seen the sort of jump range you were getting I went back to my build and realised I was still running with a legacy G5 on the FSD. Paid a visit to felicity (and a nearby mat' broker) and now things are looking MUCH better. [yesnod] Managed to cut 500ls from my Advanced Med's trip and then had just enough time for one quick test run.

New entry submitted. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom