The case for HOTAS

Okay, being relatively new to E : D, I'm still using a trackball and the keyboard to pilot, but I've considered a HOTAS setup off and on. My question to those who have them: How sensible is it with flight assist off? It seems that it would just be weird under those circumstances and having keys mapped to each thruster would be a better fit. Does the throttle even serve a purpose in that mode?

Last edited:
Does the throttle even serve a purpose in that mode?

Most definitely, tbh I couldn't imagine flying FA-OF with Keyboard and mouse. I need a stick/throttle and pedals for precision flying. Vertical thrusters are controlled through my hat stick, lateral thrusters controlled through the left/right brake axis on the pedals. Main throttle in FA-OFF works in a thrust mode (position controls the amount of thrust generated, FA-ON it is in a speed mode (position controls the speed the ship is flown at)

Last edited:
Does the throttle even serve a purpose in that mode?

Throttles really only shine in ED when it comes to supercruise. Sure, you can assign thrusters to hats, but you'll never have the control that dual sticks provide, and using a throttle to control speed during combat is flat-out inferior to having preset speeds on buttons in conjunction with a thruster stick to modify speed as needed without resetting the speed you are set at. That being said, while I use dual sticks and pedals, I still have a throttle. Though it's purely because I enjoy it in supercruise, not out of necessity.

My carrier was the first to begin transitioning to an electronic throttle-control system (and on nuclear-powered ships, the throttle controls are done from the controlling stations in the engine rooms, by nuclear-qualified personnel), and the number of times the things crashed out/ lost signal/ dropped out and required us to revert to manual throttle control locally was disconcertingly. There's a reason the nuclear power community insists on backups to the backups to the backups.

Throttles really only shine in ED when it comes to supercruise. Sure, you can assign thrusters to hats, but you'll never have the control that dual sticks provide, and using a throttle to control speed during combat is flat-out inferior to having preset speeds on buttons in conjunction with a thruster stick to modify speed as needed without resetting the speed you are set at. That being said, while I use dual sticks and pedals, I still have a throttle. Though it's purely because I enjoy it in supercruise, not out of necessity.

Yeah, right now I've got preset speeds on buttons with up/down adjustment on the trackball's scroll ring. It does reset the throttle setting doing it that way, but it seems to work pretty well. I can totally imagine a throttle being fun in supercruise, but that highlights an issue I've been struggling with in E : D broadly, which is that there seems to be no one control methology that's great across the game, because the modes differ so much.

I can totally imagine a throttle being fun in supercruise, but that highlights an issue I've been struggling with in E : D broadly, which is that there seems to be no one control methology that's great across the game, because the modes differ so much.

Dual sticks can cover everything, I could use a wheel on my Fighterstick's base to control speed in supercruise just as well. It just wouldn't feel nice, and a used X52 throttle in good condition is like $40 on eBay, so why not?

Okay, being relatively new to E : D, I'm still using a trackball and the keyboard to pilot, but I've considered a HOTAS setup off and on. My question to those who have them: How sensible is it with flight assist off? It seems that it would just be weird under those circumstances and having keys mapped to each thruster would be a better fit. Does the throttle even serve a purpose in that mode?
It's going to come down to what's comfortable to you. I also play DCS: World, so I use the same HOTAS setup to land on a carrier, fly formation, and go through aerial refueling, so there's a lot of muscle memory involved when I'm in E: D. Also, depending on the HOTAS, there may be extra programming available. I use a Thrustmaster Warthog and the TARGET software. With this, it's possible to change the sensitivity of the controller inputs when you shift to FA-OFF. YMMV, but that could be worthwhile.

FA-OFF? I couldn't think of anything worse.

I toggle it off for specific situations. I don't actually do much combat, but landing approach is FA-OFF all the way for me. I turn FA back on as soon as I'm aligned and approaching the slot, because I'm faster at hitting the pad that way for now, but I'm hoping with time my speed with FA-OFF maneuvers will increase. :)

I toggle it off for specific situations. I don't actually do much combat, but landing approach is FA-OFF all the way for me. I turn FA back on as soon as I'm aligned and approaching the slot, because I'm faster at hitting the pad that way for now, but I'm hoping with time my speed with FA-OFF maneuvers will increase. :)

I fly pure FA-OFF, well around 99%. Was quoting 60mm.

Cheers

FA-OFF? I couldn't think of anything worse.

My sticks have more than enough hats to have thrusters on buttons if I choose, no keyboard or throttle will ever allow smooth, fine control as an option.

One could make a case for preferring mouse or touchpad over a stick, but claiming k+m or throttles give more control is a farce.

My sticks have more than enough hats to have thrusters on buttons if I choose, no keyboard or throttle will ever allow smooth, fine control as an option.

One could make a case for preferring mouse or touchpad over a stick, but claiming k+m or throttles give more control is a farce.

Hey buddy, am asking about main thruster control whilst using FA-OFF. With assist disengaged the throttle directly controls thrust, am trying to wrap my head around why you would think that is inferior? Genuine question mate, Maize specifically asked about FA-OFF and throttle control.

Cheers

Edit - @Maize Started out FA-OFF during early beta, took a few weeks to adjust, about a year to master.

Hey buddy, am asking about main thruster control whilst using FA-OFF. With assist disengaged the throttle directly controls thrust, am trying to wrap my head around why you would think that is inferior? Genuine question mate, Maize specifically asked about FA-OFF and throttle control.

Cheers

Edit - @Maize Started out FA-OFF during early beta, took a few weeks to adjust, about a year to master.

No worries, didn't mean to come off rough. I don't fly entirely FA off as I find it a strange mutt that doesn't resemble what I'd like it to, but when I was into Evochron I flew much the same. Preset speeds with the stick adjusting from the preset speed as it's center. It worked great for actual newtonian flight, so i'm sure it'd be fine for FA off.

No worries, didn't mean to come off rough.

Ah not at all mate, was a genuine question on my part. When I first saw ED during the early beta's, my thought was to go for a dual-stick setup, never actually tried it in the end, found the single stick/throttle setup much more intuitive assist off. Would like to give the dual-stick setup a try, just not sure it would fit my flying style, especially with the way throttle works in ED FA-OFF. Just thought I'd try and get some insight.

Always trying to learn new things!

Cheers

If I were to always fly FA off, I'd probably get a stick with a slider or scroller on it, as I can see the utility of a throttle for it. That way I could have fine thruster control and the utility of a throttle combined.

Top Bottom