General / Off-Topic The Sandman TV Series (minor spoilers)

Binge watched this weekend. I'll try not to mention too many spoilers.

In my opinion very well done. They stayed fairly faithful to the comics and the plot deviations I didn't mind too much although i'm not sure why they felt they needed to in some cases. Was a bit disappointed with how Hector Hall was not the DC/classic Sandman, instead he had a different role.

The "Cereal" convention and the episode with John Dee in the cafe were both well done.

Most of the casting choices I'm pretty fine with with a couple of exceptions.

Lucien both gender and (kind of) race swapped. The actor is a good actor, but they just are not Lucien. I'm not sure why they couldn't have found a better actor who could portray Lucien better.

Cain and Able.- well actors are decent enough but its their shapes. Cain should be tall and thin, Able short and fat. Instead they made them both almost identical. Also, Cain didn't quite come across as being psychotic enough for me.

The Endless. Their skin simply isn't white enough. It should be alabaster white. Even Dream wasn't white enough. This isn't even a matter of the skin colour of the actor, because nobody has that colour skin in real life.

On the flip side, Lucifer being gender swapped (if you can call it that) is a non-issue, since angles are not specifically meant to have genders, although some in the comics are portrayed as favouring one gender or another, although that might be more in Mike Carey's work rather than Niel Gaiman's. Anyway, Gwendolyn does a good job here.

Stephen Fry as Fiddler's Green was... well, was there any other possible actor who could have played the role?

Overall: Fantastic series and well worth watching.

Be curious to see if season 2 gets greenlit and how far they can take it. Would love to see it get taken through to the last book in the series.

And after that? Maybe Lucifer can get a proper TV adaptation? I mean, i enjoyed the Lucifer TV series for what it was, a supernatural buddy cop drama, but its not the comicbook Lucifer and story.

Last edited:
Just finished it. Was very enjoyable, not being a reader of the books.

Ah, then you could enjoy it for what it is, not be thinking all the time "that's different" :D

On the other hand, there's some small references that you won't get if you haven't read the comics, but nothing important.

I read enough DC to get some things. Still scratching my head about "Joanna Constantine" but not enough to actually read the books. :p But then Jenna Coleman is enough for me to forgive a lot.

Was also interesting seeing Luci and Maz from a different angle to the show.

I read enough DC to get some things. Still scratching my head about "Joanna Constantine" but not enough to actually read the books. :p But then Jenna Coleman is enough for me to forgive a lot.

Was also interesting seeing Luci and Maz from a different angle to the show.

Ah, the Joanna Constantine thing annoyed me a bit. Not because of the gender swap specifically, but because the creators said, no, its not a gender swap, its not John, its just another Constantine, John's descendent (fair enough, the show is moved forward a couple of decades from the original)... then they gave her the same backstory with Astra being taken to hell which totally undermines that.

Oh, if its his descendant, then give her a different back story. If you just want to gender swap, at least be honest about it.

In relation, one quote:

Allan explained: “From the very first pitch, Neil was already thinking about ways to make the show as inclusive as possible.

“The Sandman comics were leagues ahead of everybody in the late ‘80s in terms of the depiction of women, race, sexuality, and gender.

Thing is, it still is. There was no need to go the extra mile and add more diversity, it already had a ton. Its like taking your coffee with 2 sugars and saying "this needs more sugar".

Not ragging on the show, still enjoyed it, it just seems like they tried too hard to add diversity, or, as The Critical Drinker would say "the message".

Can't be that inclusive. Still only one Chinese asian in 10 eps and she had the Dragon Lady role. :p
Inclusivity seems to not stretch to parts of Asia I've noticed. 🤷‍♂️

Good thing I tend to tune that stuff out.

I am rather satisfied with the adaptation.

I am not a fan of cliffhangers where not needed, the season would have worked without the last few minutes. But since Azazel should be established before the next storyline, I can live with it.
It kind of annoyed me to see the corinthian introduced in the prequel comic, basically at the same point in the storyline as in the series, seemed more like fanservice than neccessary. It feels different in the series, since it creates a primary villian for the storyline and avoids several coincidences.
I always read it as the amulet lost its power after the duel, since the demon that created it was defeated.

Regarding the "surprise" episode, I did not expect to see the Calliope story being told (almost) in comic publication order. Being relevant to a storyline in a potential season 3 or 4, I was sure that it would have been moved there. On the other hand, the parallel to Dream's experience might have been lost.

The horror sting at the end of the cat's story is very unsubtle compared to the source. I guess there is no trust in the audience understanding what is implied otherwise.

Regarding the "surprise" episode, I did not expect to see the Calliope story being told (almost) in comic publication order. Being relevant to a storyline in a potential season 3 or 4, I was sure that it would have been moved there. On the other hand, the parallel to Dream's experience might have been lost.

The horror sting at the end of the cat's story is very unsubtle compared to the source. I guess there is no trust in the audience understanding what is implied otherwise.

I thought both of the extra episodes were pretty well done. When I saw they were doing Dream of a Thousand Cats i thought, that's going to be interesting to see how they pull it off with live action.... and then it was animated. But cool anyway, would be happy with more animated mini-episodes.

Top Bottom