The "So I Just Hit the Rebuy Screen..." Thread

It was the "report crimes against me" switch. I just like to call it "Feds to the rescue!" button, and essentially it is kind of a Space 911 :)
I thought that was probably what you were referring to. They recently saved me as well as somehow I lost an npc interdiction (I still do not understand why - I thought that I was winning the ‘tug of war’ mini game at the time). I was in my Keelback that has defensive mines (I call her “Bumblebee” because of the sting in her tail). I ran for it and never got a chance to test the effectiveness of dropping mines in a straight chase.

Trading in a T7 interdicted by a wing something and two eagles, engaged brave sir Robin, fast forward same wing again, fleeing as before, lose shields, taking module damage, not looking good, says authorities show up and keep pirates busy as I jump, arriving at station drop in at 1% hull no shields no canopy, request docking, avoid all the traffic, get through the slot find my pad, a little sideways a little headlock, approach is good steady steady, ha ha I've made it alas no full load very heavy, the gentle landing was still too much exploded on the pad rebuy at the same station
Now this is a real tale of loss.
After all that you didn't make it!

You was robbed. 🙄

I presume the OP plays in such a way that they take wild chances & have an adventure (and a consequent entertaining tale of woe) rather than mitigating all risk out of the game by fitting range reducing hull armour ;)

I feel a few of the respondents so far have missed the point of the thread.
I kind of miss the point of the game. Fun, of course, is subjective. I certainly don't mitigate all risk, but like playing the game as though I'm my Commander, to the extent which the game can afford. If I wanted a free-for-all arcade shooter, I'd probably be playing CQC, or something like that.

But yeah, I came to realize I was playing the game wrong (not as intended) a couple years back with the way the meta progression is, the insurance rebuys, Sandro commenting that the game is gamy because it's a game, and the like. I still can pretend it's the game I wanted to play at least though, for the most part.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd buy another game account specifically for a hardcore mode – a one ship/SRV loss exclusive and limited mode that kicks you out to the regular modes, but you can reset your Commander to give it another go – especially if there weren't Engineers in it.

But alas, this is the game we have, so I try to make the best of it, flying the line between arcade shooter and sci-fi space sim.

Last edited:
Oh, just remembered another one:

During the Enclave Interstelar initiative i tried my hand at Interceptors. So i prepped an Anaconda with 4 large shards and 2 flaks, watched a video and off i go.

First attempt was a total mess. I had to highwake (not a chance to outrun an Interceptor in an Annie) at 40% hull, the interceptor being almost intact
Second attempt was better. Took out 2 hearts, but eventually again i had to highwake at about 40% hull

Third attempt was promising and my confidence was building up. So i pushed it more than i should - but eventually at less than 15% hull, no canopy and low on air i had to high-wake.
I limped to the AX megaship, dropped in, asked for docking - permission denied. Again, permission denied. As I approached i realized that I was in Open and there is a CMDR basking on the only large pad. Oxygen was running alarmingly low. Panic was already setting in.
&$^%#$ quit to menu. Even more %#$#$@#$ - god damn 15s timer - why? im not in combat, im just suffocating.
So i switched to solo and Oh God! i find myself at 10km from the station. Oxygen was really really low. Boost, Boost, 15s, comming in fast, 5s, desperately maneuvering the whale trying to set it down, 1s, touchdown but too fast and slightly off-center, clamps failed to lock, BOOM 🎆

Morals of the story: Don't freaking panic. Re-synth air for life support and dock leisurely 🙃
And yes, Fourth time was a charm.

Last edited:
But alas, this is the game we have, so I try to make the best of it, flying the line between arcade shooter and sci-fi space sim.
I wouldn't describe my Elite lifestyle as "arcade", but I certainly don't run away from risk either. It's all about the thrill.

I remember a good while ago, during my first trip to Sag A* and beyond, I discovered a lovely canyon planet. So there I was, ages away from civilization, hundreds of millions worth of exploration data on storage, and a beautiful canyon in front of my AspX. So I did what I had to do, and of course it went all wrong. Didn't kill me, but reduced my hull integrity too much for comfort, and as the nearest Lakon workshop was thousands of light years away, I had to limp back to the bubble.

Was it a reasonable decision to go canyon running on the far side of Sag A*? Nope. But after weeks in uninhabited space, I was longing for some action. So I didn't regret it.

I wouldn't describe my Elite lifestyle as "arcade", but I certainly don't run away from risk either. It's all about the thrill.

I remember a good while ago, during my first trip to Sag A* and beyond, I discovered a lovely canyon planet. So there I was, ages away from civilization, hundreds of millions worth of exploration data on storage, and a beautiful canyon in front of my AspX. So I did what I had to do, and of course it went all wrong. Didn't kill me, but reduced my hull integrity too much for comfort, and as the nearest Lakon workshop was thousands of light years away, I had to limp back to the bubble.

Was it a reasonable decision to go canyon running on the far side of Sag A*? Nope. But after weeks in uninhabited space, I was longing for some action. So I didn't regret it.
No worries. I was just using the extremes there to make a distinction, not as a slight or comment on your play style specifically.

I did take a hard landing once on a higher G world that sneaked up on me, and by the time I noticed, I was lucky to be able to mitigate the damage enough to limp back to port. Took me down to either 40 or 60 percent hull. I forget which.

Last time I actually lost a ship in the game is going on 5 years ago now. Was carelessly farming combat rank and not paying close enough attention to my shields, and let an Anaconda get its guns on my Vulture. Made me wonder what I was doing and why I was bothering to do it.

Last edited:
My current layout shows a value of 730M CR...

No worries. I was just using the extremes there to make a distinction, not as a slight or comment on your play style specifically.
No offense taken. I actually appreciate the "hardcore" playstyle. I'm planning to change my approach with the new season, depending on how things will go. Though I don't plan to reset my commander every time I get shot down, but rather stay away from the rebuy option. So every time I lose my ship, I will lose a lot of credits and engineered components. Not as bad as losing all your mats and progress, but still bad enough to think twice before taking a risk.

What?!

Mind you, I've never even looked at a Corvette's list price - for pretty much the same reason I have zero clue how much Maybachs are to buy! 😁
I didn’t even know that you could still buy old Zeppelin engines.

Fitted out Corvette prices I looked at shortly after I saw one in a shipyard and started to play in coriolis. Now I finally have one it is about 450 million.

From zakk's post #1 above... "hit the "Feds to the rescue!" button," - was that just the automatic report of crimes against your ship? or is there an Intergalactic 999 (I suppose, 911 in some parts of the galaxy) service that's eluded me?
Look in your right hand panel, ship and then pilot preferences, there's a thing that says 'report crimes against me'. If you are shot at and not wanted, then the system authorities will come to the rescue. If the criminal has a notoriety factor of 10, the ATR will jump in - max engineered ships, usually a fleet of the big three. You'll be more likely to see the ATR in Shinrarta than anywhere else. Be warned, this doesn't apply in anarchy systems, and I assume the authority vessels are garbage in low security systems.

Top Bottom